Обсуждение: Re: ODBC Driver stability

Re: ODBC Driver stability

От
Gary Doades
Дата:
Markus Donath wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i have also tested several PGSQL ODBC driver versions with Windows 2000, IIS
> (the Windows webserver) and ASP.
> Version 7.3.2.0 runs best in a multithreaded environment, but it is still
> not 100% stable.
> The webserver sometimes hangs (depends on the load) so that the process
> needs to be killed.
> All in all, the Postgres ODBC driver does not fit our needs for stability,
> and as the posts in this newsgroup show, there is no development going on.
> To me, it looks like no one here uses the ODBC-driver for server
> applications with windows.
> Our conclusion is that Postgres is not usable with ODBC on windows, and no
> stable driver will be available soon. We are going to switch a different
> database. To bad, as the database itself runs fast and stable.
>
> bye bye postgres !

I have to admit that I have not had any problems with 7.3.2.0 and I have
hit it pretty hard. In real-load tests with around 100 concurrent
connections from an ASP.NET server ticking over at around 12 connections
per second on average, ODBC pooling on, with a good mix of
selects/update/inserts it has not hung at all.

How do you know that it is the ODBC driver itself that is hanging the
web app?

Cheers,
Gary.

Re: ODBC Driver stability

От
Jaime Casanova
Дата:
 --- Gary Doades <gpd@gpdnet.co.uk> escribió:
> Markus Donath wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > i have also tested several PGSQL ODBC driver
> versions with Windows 2000, IIS
> > (the Windows webserver) and ASP.
> > Version 7.3.2.0 runs best in a multithreaded
> environment, but it is still
> > not 100% stable.
> > The webserver sometimes hangs (depends on the
> load) so that the process
> > needs to be killed.
> > All in all, the Postgres ODBC driver does not fit
> our needs for stability,
> > and as the posts in this newsgroup show, there is
> no development going on.
> > To me, it looks like no one here uses the
> ODBC-driver for server
> > applications with windows.
> > Our conclusion is that Postgres is not usable with
> ODBC on windows, and no
> > stable driver will be available soon. We are going
> to switch a different
> > database. To bad, as the database itself runs fast
> and stable.
> >
> > bye bye postgres !
> >

> I have to admit that I have not had any problems
> with 7.3.2.0 and I have
> hit it pretty hard. In real-load tests with around
> 100 concurrent
> connections from an ASP.NET server ticking over at
> around 12 connections
> per second on average, ODBC pooling on, with a good
> mix of
> selects/update/inserts it has not hung at all.
>
> How do you know that it is the ODBC driver itself
> that is hanging the
> web app?
>
> Cheers,
> Gary.

Actually the v8.0.0.2 is completely unstable not the
same with v7.3.2 that has proben to be very stable at
least in my case. Are you sure you haven't
accidentally installed the v8 (maybe, you installed
pgsql8.0betaX and it installed psqlodbc (v8.0.0.2).

That happens to me and i was getting strange errors
until i find what happened.

regards,
Jaime Casanova

Re: ODBC Driver stability

От
Дата:
The same application runs stable with oracle and mssql.
I used iis crash dumps to find out that it was the odbc driver causing the
problems and sent some of the odbc-logs to hiroshi (end of 2003).
Maybe i'm using different features of the driver that cause problems.
could you send me your odbc driver settings / connection string ?

I did not test or install the 8.x.x.x drivers.

bye,
Markus.

Re: ODBC Driver stability

От
Gary Doades
Дата:
md-postgres-donath@netapps.de wrote:
> The same application runs stable with oracle and mssql.
> I used iis crash dumps to find out that it was the odbc driver causing the
> problems and sent some of the odbc-logs to hiroshi (end of 2003).
> Maybe i'm using different features of the driver that cause problems.
> could you send me your odbc driver settings / connection string ?

I'm using ODBC from C# .NET, the only connection string settings I do
are UID,PWD,SERVER & DATABASE. I guess all the other settings are
whatever the defaults are. I do not set up a DSN, but use the
driver={PostgreSQL} directly in code.

Most of the calls that are made are connect/execute/fetch/disconnect.
Looking at the ODBC trace output this is most of the SQLxxx calls with a
load of SQLDescribe... liberally sprinked in there.

> I did not test or install the 8.x.x.x drivers.

I did, unfortunately. I don't think any of the code changes have broken
the 8 series driver, there aren't that many changes. I think it is
mainly in the way it is compiled that has introduced problems. More
likely uncovered problems that were already there, but never caught
anyone out.

Cheers,
Gary.

Re: ODBC Driver stability

От
"Dave Page"

I don't have a clue what this/these problem(s) might be at the moment -
if someone can at least get a backtrace from a crash, or mylog output
from a crash then we stand much more of a chance of figuring something
out. I'm not saying I *can* fix it though, but I'll certainly take a
look.

Regards, Dave

Re: ODBC Driver stability

От
Jaime Casanova
Дата:
Hi Dave,

I was having a problem with the odbc driver, when i
install it (v8.0.0.2) the spanish character that
appears in my vb application get weird. Can you point
me what place in the code is more significativly to
this bug?

regards,
Jaime Casanova

Re: ODBC Driver stability

От
"Dave Page"

Err, probably not (unless I'm the wrong Dave). Is your database encoded
as SQL_ASCII? I know very little about encodings, but iirc non-ASCII
characters are not guaranteed to work correctly although they appear to
in some front end interfaces. I believe you need to use one of the latin
encodings or unicode to resolve this.

Regards, Dave.

Re: ODBC Driver stability

От
Jaime Casanova
Дата:
 --- Dave Page <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> escribió:

> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > I was having a problem with the odbc driver, when
> i install
> > it (v8.0.0.2) the spanish character that appears
> in my vb
> > application get weird. Can you point me what place
> in the
> > code is more significativly to this bug?
>
> Err, probably not (unless I'm the wrong Dave). Is
> your database encoded
> as SQL_ASCII? I know very little about encodings,
> but iirc non-ASCII
> characters are not guaranteed to work correctly
> although they appear to
> in some front end interfaces. I believe you need to
> use one of the latin
> encodings or unicode to resolve this.
>
> Regards, Dave.

I will probe with other encodings as you suggest but
driver v7.3.2 works fine on this and only if a install
v8.0.0.2 have problem.

Are you sure it's *just* an encoding problem?

regards,
Jaime Casanova

Re: ODBC Driver stability

От
"Dave Page"

No. That's just a common one to check. Like I said, I know little about encoding and other localisation issues.

Regards, Dave.

Re: ODBC Driver stability

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Jaime Casanova wrote:
> I was having a problem with the odbc driver, when i
> install it (v8.0.0.2) the spanish character that
> appears in my vb application get weird.

What encoding do you have your client set to?  What encoding does your
client actually produce?  What encoding do you have your server set to?
What Spanish character do you mean?  What exactly does "weird" mean?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: ODBC Driver stability

От
Jaime Casanova
Дата:
 --- Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> escribió:
> Jaime Casanova wrote:
> > I was having a problem with the odbc driver, when
> > install it (v8.0.0.2) the spanish character that
> > appears in my vb application get weird.
>
> What encoding do you have your client set to?
> What encoding does your client actually produce?

my client is in windows (i don't know encoding)

> What encoding do you have your server set to?
The database has sql_ascii

> What Spanish character do you mean?

ñ, Ñ, á, é, í, ó, ú

> What exactly does "weird" mean?

matrícula become matr||ula
peña      become pe°a
somethings like that

actually i get that problem in 8.0.0.2 but not in
v7.3.2

regards,
Jaime Casanova

Re: ODBC Driver stability

От
Benjamin Riefenstahl
Дата:
Hi Jaime,

Jaime Casanova writes:
> The database has sql_ascii
>
>> What Spanish character do you mean?
>
> ñ, Ñ, á, é, í, ó, ú

Just to support and emphasize what Dave already said:

Because there are no Spanish characters in ASCII (ASCII is a 7 bit
encoding), a database in SQL_ASCII may do anything with those
characters.  Change the database encoding to LATIN9 (if you only need
Spanish plus the Euro character) or UNICODE (if you may need to
support other languages in the future).

> matrícula become matr||ula
> peña      become pe°a

IOW, the database or the ODBC driver has replaced the non-ASCII
characters with ASCII characters that have the same code point but
modulo 128 (throwing away the highest bit).  That is a common
behaviour for ASCII-only systems, e.g. also often seen in email.  This
behaviour can not be reversed after it has happened.

benny

Re: ODBC Driver stability

От
Jaime Casanova
Дата:
 --- Benjamin Riefenstahl
<Benjamin.Riefenstahl@epost.de> escribió:
> Hi Jaime,
>

> Jaime Casanova writes:
> > The database has sql_ascii
> >
> >> What Spanish character do you mean?
> >
> > ñ, Ñ, á, é, í, ó, ú
>
> Just to support and emphasize what Dave already
> said:
>
> Because there are no Spanish characters in ASCII
> (ASCII is a 7 bit
> encoding), a database in SQL_ASCII may do anything
> with those
> characters.  Change the database encoding to LATIN9
> (if you only need
> Spanish plus the Euro character) or UNICODE (if you
> may need to
> support other languages in the future).
>
> > matrícula become matr||ula
> > peña      become pe°a
>
> IOW, the database or the ODBC driver has replaced
> the non-ASCII
> characters with ASCII characters that have the same
> code point but
> modulo 128 (throwing away the highest bit).  That is
> a common
> behaviour for ASCII-only systems, e.g. also often
> seen in email.  This
> behaviour can not be reversed after it has happened.
>

> benny

Just for me to understand this right. when i use vb
with the odbc i got these changes in non-ASCII
characters but NO when using EMS pgmanager nor when
selecting directly from psql.

regards,
Jaime Casanova

Re: ODBC Driver stability

От
Benjamin Riefenstahl
Дата:
Hi Jaime,

Jaime Casanova writes:
> Just for me to understand this right. when i use vb with the odbc i
> got these changes in non-ASCII characters but NO when using EMS
> pgmanager nor when selecting directly from psql.

Probably the ODBC driver tries to convert from the database encoding
to the system encoding of MS Windows.  The translation loses for
characters that are not defined in SQL_ASCII.

Applications that use a different PostgreSQL client library may use
other encoding conversion routines or no conversion at all.  But
that's probably just luck and may change with the next version of
those tools.

>Benjamin Riefenstahl escribió:
>> Because there are no Spanish characters in ASCII (ASCII is a 7 bit
>> encoding), a database in SQL_ASCII may do anything with those
>> characters.

To be accurate here, replace "a database" with "any module that is
involved on the way from the database to the display and back again."

benny