Обсуждение: insert into view with a defined rule fails from MSAccess

insert into view with a defined rule fails from MSAccess

От
Joan Picanyol i Puig
Дата:
Hi,

I'm having trouble inserting into a view through an insert rule. I'm
using the latest version the ODBC driver and PostgreSQL 7.2.3 from
MSAccess 2000 on Windows98.

The problem seems to be on ODBC since inserting from psql works.
However, Access returns me Jet error 3156 (something like: the field is too
small for the data you are entering)

I'm attaching all the logs I can think of, connection, debug and
SQL.LOG. Any ideas?

tks
--
pica

Re: insert into view with a defined rule fails from MSAccess

От
Jeff Eckermann
Дата:
I don't see any attachments.
Can you post the statement that fails, plus
rule/view/table definitions?

http://webhosting.yahoo.com

Re: insert into view with a defined rule fails from MSAccess

От
Hiroshi Inoue
Дата:
Joan Picanyol i Puig wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble inserting into a view through an insert rule. I'm
> using the latest version the ODBC driver and PostgreSQL 7.2.3 from
> MSAccess 2000 on Windows98.
>
> The problem seems to be on ODBC since inserting from psql works.
> However, Access returns me Jet error 3156 (something like: the
> field is too small for the data you are entering)

It's a server side problem not the problem of psqlodbc driver.
Maybe the patch at
  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2002-05/msg00170.php
would fix the problem.
Please try.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue
    http://w2422.nsk.ne.jp/~inoue/

Re: insert into view with a defined rule fails from MSAccess

От
Joan Picanyol i Puig
Дата:
* Joan Picanyol i Puig <lists@biaix.org> [20021118 02:46]:
> I'm attaching all the logs I can think of, connection, debug and
> SQL.LOG. Any ideas?
I just hate when this happens. When replying myself to add the messages
the list filtered them (over 40k). The logs are available at
http://biaix.org/pk/debug/ (note the backslash!) I've added psql.out
after reading Jeff's message. It shows the schema for both tables and
views from psql.

tks
--
pica

Re: insert into view with a defined rule fails from MSAccess

От
Joan Picanyol i Puig
Дата:
Hi,

I've applied the patch suggested by Hiroshi, but I still get the same
message. Is there anything I can do to get this to work? Defining rules
for UPDATE and DELETE? Including primary keys in the view?

I find the INSERT INTO vw_centres ... values (?,?,?,?...) and
surrounding lines (return code SQL_NEED_DATA) particularly suspicious.
Why am I getting this when attempting to insert into the vw_centres table?

tks
--
pica

Вложения

Re: insert into view with a defined rule fails from MSAccess

От
Joan Picanyol i Puig
Дата:
(please honour Mail-Followup-To, I'm not subscribed)

Hi,

I've applied the patch suggested by Hiroshi, but I still get the same
message. Is there anything I can do to get this to work? Defining rules
for UPDATE and DELETE? Including primary keys in the view? Some magic
typecasts? I've dwelved through the archives and there are some problems
/similar/ to mine, but none of them show a definitive answer...

tks
--
pica

Re: insert into view with a defined rule fails from MSAccess

От
Joan Picanyol i Puig
Дата: