Обсуждение: install problem

install problem

От
sol
Дата:
Hi there,

I've just been trying to install Postgresql 7.2.2 on Debian Sid/Unstable
and have been repeatedly failed to do so. I believe the problem is
related to there being "Unknown id: -" The download is fine (no
dependency problems), then the configuration script asks me for default
encoding (SQL_ASCII) and locale (C). All is fine so far. The automated
install script is:

su - postgres -c cd /var/lib/postgres; . ./.profile; LANG=C initdb
--encoding SQL_ASCII --pgdata /var/lib/postgres/data

The next line says:
Unknown id: -
dpkg: error processing postgresql (--configure)

This is not the first time I've installed Postgresql, but it is the
first time I've come across this problem or any other installation
problem for that matter.
(NB: This may be a Debian related bug. If so, my apologies for sending
to this list. But I am unsure as to what the problem is here.)

regards,
sol

Question about cygwin/Postgre

От
"Nicolas Cartron"
Дата:
All,

Currently we're using a server that runs freebsd & postgreSQL.

I've got to install a win 2k server, and i'd like to stay with
postgre rather than install sql server.

I didn't find any postgre win32 version, and am wondering if
cygwin/postgre on such a server would be good (i mean in terms
of performance of course).

The server is an athlon 1.4 GHz with 1 Go RAM and 2 x 80 Go maxtor ide,
so rather powerful.

Thanks in advance.

--
Nicolas CARTRON                    |
System Administrator Unix & Linux  | Mail: nc@ncartron.com

Re: Question about cygwin/Postgre

От
"paul butler"
native win32 version available for around $500. Never seen any
evaluation of it. might just be using the cygwin dll

Cheers

Paul Butler

> All,
>
> Currently we're using a server that runs freebsd & postgreSQL.
>
> I've got to install a win 2k server, and i'd like to stay with
> postgre rather than install sql server.
>
> I didn't find any postgre win32 version, and am wondering if
> cygwin/postgre on such a server would be good (i mean in terms
> of performance of course).
>
> The server is an athlon 1.4 GHz with 1 Go RAM and 2 x 80 Go maxtor ide,
> so rather powerful.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Nicolas CARTRON                    |
> System Administrator Unix & Linux  | Mail: nc@ncartron.com
> Webmaster www.squirrelmail-fr.org  | GSM : +33.6.63.66.11.77

Re: Question about cygwin/Postgre

От
"Nicolas Cartron"
Дата:
> There's http://www.dbexperts.net/postgresql which claims to have a
> native win32 version available for around $500. Never seen any
> evaluation of it. might just be using the cygwin dll

I saw it but $500 definitively doesn't match my goals ... :(
Anyway, gonna try cygwin, if anyone else could tell me some
experiences he had with that, thanks !

--
Nicolas CARTRON                    |
System Administrator Unix & Linux  | Mail: nc@ncartron.com
Webmaster www.squirrelmail-fr.org  | GSM : +33.6.63.66.11.77

Re: install problem

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 07:16, sol wrote:
> I've just been trying to install Postgresql 7.2.2 on Debian Sid/Unstable
> and have been repeatedly failed to do so.

You need to see in more detail what the install script is doing and
where the failure is.

Add "set -x" as the second line of
/var/lib/dpkg/info/postgresql.postinst and then do "dpkg --configure
postgresql".  It should then be a lot easier to see which command in the
install script is causing the problem.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall
      tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine,
      or nakedness, or peril, or sword?...But in all these
      things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved
      us."               Romans 8:35,37

Re: install problem

Дата:
sol <sol@autonomon.net> writes:
> The automated install script is:

> su - postgres -c cd /var/lib/postgres; . ./.profile; LANG=C initdb
> --encoding SQL_ASCII --pgdata /var/lib/postgres/data

> The next line says:
> Unknown id: -

Hm.  Could this error be coming from su itself?  "su - foo" is a
SysV-ism that means "log in as foo and run his profile script",
but I believe there are variants of su that don't understand the -
switch.

As someone already pointed out, there is no such error message in
Postgres itself, so you need to be looking elsewhere ... and you
might not need to look further than the su command.  If the su
syntax is okay for your platform, I'd wonder about the ./.profile
invocation next.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Question about cygwin/Postgre

От
"Phillip J. Allen"
Дата:
Nicolas,

I have been using cygwin and Postgresql on my laptop for experimental
purposes when I am not connected to the server (like in an airport
lobby).  And it seems to be working well.  Of course I havent had
multiple connections simultanous.

But one problem/inconvience you will encounter is if the W2000 server
goes to sleep/dorment, the postmaster will not wake up or recover.  So
you have to manually go into the cygwin directory and erase the
postmaster.pid file.  Not a major crisis on my laptop but on a server it
could be very inconvient.

good luck and keep us informed because I am planning on installing
cygwin and postgres on one of my "field servers" where nobody knows how
to maintain a linux server.  And when I say "field servers" I am talking
about a tool shed in the Peruvian Andes.

Cheers

Phillip J. Allen
Consulting Geochemist/Geologist
Lima Peru
e-mail: paallen@attglobal.net

Nicolas Cartron wrote:

>All,
>
>Currently we're using a server that runs freebsd & postgreSQL.
>
>I've got to install a win 2k server, and i'd like to stay with
>postgre rather than install sql server.
>
>I didn't find any postgre win32 version, and am wondering if
>cygwin/postgre on such a server would be good (i mean in terms
>of performance of course).
>
>The server is an athlon 1.4 GHz with 1 Go RAM and 2 x 80 Go maxtor ide,
>so rather powerful.
>
>Thanks in advance.

Re: Question about cygwin/Postgre

От
"Robert J. Sanford, Jr."
Дата:
Nicolas,

I am currently running the Cygwin version of PostgreSQL in production and,
well, it works. My load is currently pretty light and the performance is
more than sufficient. I'm running on a PIII 500 w/ 512MB RAM and 3x9GB SCSI
in RAID 5.

From reading the Cygwin mailing list archives the only issue that you will
run into is the maximum number of concurrent connections which is a
limitation of the Cygwin libraries. I am having somewhere on the order of
100 simultaneous application users which results in only about 10 active
connections so I don't hit that limit. To find out the exact limits you will
want to search the mailing list archives.

Also, there is currently work under way to bring out a Win32 native version
of PostgreSQL. I *think* but am not certain that they are working to release
at the same time as 7.3. Last I saw they were asking for beta testers and
are, apparently, pretty close. Once again, search the mailing list archives
for more details.

My plans are to eventually move my database over to my 2xPIII 600 w/ 1GB RAM
and 3x18GB SCSI in RAID 5 running Linux but that won't happen until after I
get a new team member that understands (and can teach me) how to manage a
Linux server properly. Most likely in the January time frame. Until then I'm
hoping that either my load doesn't grow too terribly high or that the native
Win32 version comes out without the connection limitation.

rjsjr

> Nicolas Cartron wrote:
>
> All,
>
> Currently we're using a server that runs freebsd & postgreSQL.
>
> I've got to install a win 2k server, and i'd like to stay with
> postgre rather than install sql server.
>
> I didn't find any postgre win32 version, and am wondering if
> cygwin/postgre on such a server would be good (i mean in terms
> of performance of course).
>
> The server is an athlon 1.4 GHz with 1 Go RAM and 2 x 80 Go
> maxtor ide, so rather powerful.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Re: Question about cygwin/Postgre

От
"Juliet May"
Дата:
My experience has been similar to Phillips except I am using PostgreSQL in
Cygwin in a production environment. The only time I have had problems is
when the server spontaneously reboots or shuts down then I need to manually
remove the pid and restart the postmaster. So far we haven't run into
problems with too many connection attempts.

Julie

Re: install problem

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 13:49, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 07:16, sol wrote:
> > I've just been trying to install Postgresql 7.2.2 on Debian Sid/Unstable
> > and have been repeatedly failed to do so.
>
> You need to see in more detail what the install script is doing and
> where the failure is.
>
> Add "set -x" as the second line of
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/postgresql.postinst and then do "dpkg --configure
> postgresql".  It should then be a lot easier to see which command in the
> install script is causing the problem.

The actual error was that "su - postgres" was interpreting "-" as the
desired login name.  This was a bug in the latest login package, which
has now been fixed.  You need to install login 4.0.3-2 or later.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor
      angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor
      things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor
      any other created thing, shall be able to separate us
      from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our
      Lord."          Romans 8:38,39