Обсуждение: ColdFusion sez this is valid SQL

ColdFusion sez this is valid SQL

От
"D. Duccini"
Дата:
select * from speakers where left(speaker_last_name,1) >= 'N';

which psql doesn't like

is this really SQL standard or really an oracle thing?

i know you can do a better job with

select * from speakers where speaker_last_name ~* '^N';

the only reason I'm concerned is that our webmaster is working to
integrate ColdFusion apps with PSQL (which work great) however, she's a
real SQL novice (had to show her how to setup a sequence to map over to MS
Access 'auto' datatype) et al

david@backpack.com            BackPack Software, Inc.        www.backpack.com
+1 651.645.7550 voice       "Life is an Adventure.
+1 651.645.9798 fax            Don't forget your BackPack!"

Re: ColdFusion sez this is valid SQL

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
haven't seen use of 'left()', but you could use substr() ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: ColdFusion sez this is valid SQL

От
"D. Duccini"
Дата:
well, i just tried it on oracle 8i as well and it doesn't work there
either, so i'm going with the theory that the CF people are just on crack

-duck

> haven't seen use of 'left()', but you could use substr() ...
>
> On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, D. Duccini wrote:
>

> > select * from speakers where left(speaker_last_name,1) >= 'N';
> >
> > which psql doesn't like
> >
> > is this really SQL standard or really an oracle thing?
> >
> > i know you can do a better job with
> >
> > select * from speakers where speaker_last_name ~* '^N';
> >
> > the only reason I'm concerned is that our webmaster is working to
> > integrate ColdFusion apps with PSQL (which work great) however, she's a
> > real SQL novice (had to show her how to setup a sequence to map over to MS
> > Access 'auto' datatype) et al

> > david@backpack.com            BackPack Software, Inc.        www.backpack.com
> > +1 651.645.7550 voice       "Life is an Adventure.
> > +1 651.645.9798 fax            Don't forget your BackPack!"
> >

> Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

david@backpack.com            BackPack Software, Inc.        www.backpack.com
+1 651.645.7550 voice       "Life is an Adventure.
+1 651.645.9798 fax            Don't forget your BackPack!"

and the monkey pushes the button

От
"D. Duccini"
Дата:
select (speaker_last_name || ', ' || speaker_first_name) as fullname from
speakers;

man, i think its break time

david@backpack.com            BackPack Software, Inc.        www.backpack.com
+1 651.645.7550 voice       "Life is an Adventure.
+1 651.645.9798 fax            Don't forget your BackPack!"

amateur nite out

От
"D. Duccini"
Дата:
i think its time for afternoon coffee

how do you select multiple columns but return them as a single column?

ie, select lastname+', '+firstname as fullname from authors;

of course it chokes on the + op

david@backpack.com            BackPack Software, Inc.        www.backpack.com
+1 651.645.7550 voice       "Life is an Adventure.
+1 651.645.9798 fax            Don't forget your BackPack!"

Re: ColdFusion sez this is valid SQL

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, D. Duccini wrote:

> well, i just tried it on oracle 8i as well and it doesn't work there
> either, so i'm going with the theory that the CF people are just on crack

Isn't left() a Visual Basic thing?

-- Brett
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
When you are in it up to your ears, keep your mouth shut.

Re: ColdFusion sez this is valid SQL

От
Chris
Дата:
> > well, i just tried it on oracle 8i as well and it doesn't work there
> > either, so i'm going with the theory that the CF people are just on crack

>Isn't left() a Visual Basic thing?

It's also a mysql thing.. don't know about VB..

------------------------
Chris Smith
http://www.squiz.net

Re: amateur nite out

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, D. Duccini wrote:

> i think its time for afternoon coffee
>
> how do you select multiple columns but return them as a single column?
>
> ie, select lastname+', '+firstname as fullname from authors;
>
> of course it chokes on the + op

SELECT lastname || ', ' || firstname AS fullname FROM authors;

Re: ColdFusion sez this is valid SQL

От
David Merrill
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 11:06:23AM +1100, Chris wrote:

> > > well, i just tried it on oracle 8i as well and it doesn't work there
> > > either, so i'm going with the theory that the CF people are just on crack

> >Isn't left() a Visual Basic thing?
>
> It's also a mysql thing.. don't know about VB..

It is a VB thing also. That would work in Acce

Oh, I can't bear to finish.

<choke> <gasp>
<wheeze>

Linux Documentation Project                dmerrill@lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

Whenever you have need of anything,
Once in the month, and better when the moon is full,
You shall assemble in some secret place
And adore the spirit of Me
Who is Queen of all the Wise.
        -- from The Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente

constraint question

От
mwaples@optusnet.com.au
Дата:
I have a table category with columns -
category_id , main_id

I would like to check that the main_id value exists in category_id in
any row of the table category.

Is it possible to have a foreign key referring to the current table ?
Or should I be using a trigger to do it ?

I'm thinking I have to use a trigger to do it - but want to make sure.

Re: constraint question

От
mwaples@optusnet.com.au
Дата:
ok im dumb - but this is the novice list -

references category(category_id)

worked after Id done everything correct
mwaples@optusnet.com.au wrote:

> I have a table category with columns -
> category_id , main_id
>
> I would like to check that the main_id value exists in category_id in
> any row of the table category.
>
> Is it possible to have a foreign key referring to the current table ?
> Or should I be using a trigger to do it ?
>
> I'm thinking I have to use a trigger to do it - but want to make sure.

Re: ColdFusion sez this is valid SQL

От
"Poul L. Christiansen"
Try:
"select * from speakers where #left(speaker_last_name,1)# >= 'N'"

You forgot the # signs ;-)

Poul L. Christiansen

"D. Duccini" wrote:

> select * from speakers where left(speaker_last_name,1) >= 'N';
>
> which psql doesn't like
>
> is this really SQL standard or really an oracle thing?
>
> i know you can do a better job with
>
> select * from speakers where speaker_last_name ~* '^N';
>
> the only reason I'm concerned is that our webmaster is working to
> integrate ColdFusion apps with PSQL (which work great) however, she's a
> real SQL novice (had to show her how to setup a sequence to map over to MS
> Access 'auto' datatype) et al

> david@backpack.com            BackPack Software, Inc.        www.backpack.com
> +1 651.645.7550 voice       "Life is an Adventure.
> +1 651.645.9798 fax            Don't forget your BackPack!"

Re: ColdFusion sez this is valid SQL

От
"D. Duccini"
Дата:
doesn't work either

ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "left"

at least not under 6.5.3

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Poul L. Christiansen wrote:

> Try:
> "select * from speakers where #left(speaker_last_name,1)# >= 'N'"
>
> You forgot the # signs ;-)
>
> Poul L. Christiansen
>
> "D. Duccini" wrote:
>
> > select * from speakers where left(speaker_last_name,1) >= 'N';
> >
> > which psql doesn't like
> >
> > is this really SQL standard or really an oracle thing?
> >
> > i know you can do a better job with
> >
> > select * from speakers where speaker_last_name ~* '^N';
> >
> > the only reason I'm concerned is that our webmaster is working to
> > integrate ColdFusion apps with PSQL (which work great) however, she's a
> > real SQL novice (had to show her how to setup a sequence to map over to MS
> > Access 'auto' datatype) et al

> > david@backpack.com            BackPack Software, Inc.        www.backpack.com
> > +1 651.645.7550 voice       "Life is an Adventure.
> > +1 651.645.9798 fax            Don't forget your BackPack!"

david@backpack.com            BackPack Software, Inc.        www.backpack.com
+1 651.645.7550 voice       "Life is an Adventure.
+1 651.645.9798 fax            Don't forget your BackPack!"

Re: ColdFusion sez this is valid SQL

От
"Poul L. Christiansen"
Дата:
Hmmmm, I don't know excatcly what you are trying to do, but I don't think you can use
the Cold Fusion function Left.

Try using the PostgreSQL function substr() instead, as someone else suggested.

Poul L. Christiansen

"D. Duccini" wrote:

> doesn't work either
>
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "left"
>
> at least not under 6.5.3
>
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Poul L. Christiansen wrote:
>
> > Try:
> > "select * from speakers where #left(speaker_last_name,1)# >= 'N'"
> >
> > You forgot the # signs ;-)
> >
> > Poul L. Christiansen
> >
> > "D. Duccini" wrote:
> >
> > > select * from speakers where left(speaker_last_name,1) >= 'N';
> > >
> > > which psql doesn't like
> > >
> > > is this really SQL standard or really an oracle thing?
> > >
> > > i know you can do a better job with
> > >
> > > select * from speakers where speaker_last_name ~* '^N';
> > >
> > > the only reason I'm concerned is that our webmaster is working to
> > > integrate ColdFusion apps with PSQL (which work great) however, she's a
> > > real SQL novice (had to show her how to setup a sequence to map over to MS
> > > Access 'auto' datatype) et al
> > >
> > > -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > david@backpack.com            BackPack Software, Inc.        www.backpack.com
> > > +1 651.645.7550 voice       "Life is an Adventure.
> > > +1 651.645.9798 fax            Don't forget your BackPack!"
> > > -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

> david@backpack.com            BackPack Software, Inc.        www.backpack.com
> +1 651.645.7550 voice       "Life is an Adventure.
> +1 651.645.9798 fax            Don't forget your BackPack!"

Re: ColdFusion sez this is valid SQL

От
"D. Duccini"
Дата:
yeah we solved it...i was just intrigued by the purported standard "SQL"
example in the CF tutorial

> Hmmmm, I don't know excatcly what you are trying to do, but I don't think you can use
> the Cold Fusion function Left.
>
> Try using the PostgreSQL function substr() instead, as someone else suggested.
>
> Poul L. Christiansen

Re: amateur nite out

От
George Young
Дата:
On Tue, 02 Jan 2001, D. Duccini wrote:
> how do you select multiple columns but return them as a single column?
>
> ie, select lastname+', '+firstname as fullname from authors;
>
> of course it chokes on the + op

This needs to be double vertical bars, not plus signs:

    select lastname || ', ' || firstname as fullname from authors;

In psql, the "\do" command (list operators), shows:

 op |left_arg  |right_arg |result   |description
---+----------+----------+---------+-----------------------------------------

--
George Young,  Rm. L-204        gry@ll.mit.edu
MIT Lincoln Laboratory

Re: amateur nite out

От
"D. Duccini"
Дата:
> In psql, the "\do" command (list operators), shows:
>
>  op |left_arg  |right_arg |result   |description

slick.  doesn't work on solaris 6.5.3

=> \do ||
ERROR:  regcomp failed with error empty (sub)expression

but our days with 6.5.3 are numbered ;)