Обсуждение: Connection pool problem

Connection pool problem

От
Stéphane RIFF
Дата:
Hello,

I've create a connection pool with dbcp end another with
Jdbc3PoolingDatasource,
it seems to work well but :
My pool is a eight connections pool, the problem is when i get some
database exception (for example
"constraint violation", "duplicate key on unique index"...) the
connection didn't released to the pool.
After eight exception my application wait for a connection from the pool
which nerver give one because
of the PSQLException thrown.

Does somebody know about this??

Hope it's understandable
Thanks

Re: Connection pool problem

От
Oliver Jowett
Дата:
Stéphane RIFF wrote:

> I've create a connection pool with dbcp end another with
> Jdbc3PoolingDatasource,
> it seems to work well but :
> My pool is a eight connections pool, the problem is when i get some
> database exception (for example
> "constraint violation", "duplicate key on unique index"...) the
> connection didn't released to the pool.
> After eight exception my application wait for a connection from the pool
> which nerver give one because
> of the PSQLException thrown.

Perhaps your code does not release the connection to the pool correctly
when handling the exception?

The usual way to deal with this is to put connection releasing in a
finally block, so it's sure to be run however you exit the try{} block.

If it's not that, I'd need to see your code to debug this further.

-O

Re: Connection pool problem

От
Stéphane RIFF
Дата:
You're right i forgot to call close() function in the catch block
Thanks

But know i sometimes get null connections from the datasource with
exception like this :
2005-03-01 12:23:44,156 : [WARN] ConnectionPool -
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: The connection attempt failed because
Exception: java.net.BindException: Address already in use: connect
Stack Trace:

java.net.BindException: Address already in use: connect
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:171)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:158)
    at org.postgresql.core.PGStream.<init>(PGStream.java:47)
    at
org.postgresql.jdbc1.AbstractJdbc1Connection.openConnection(AbstractJdbc1Connection.java:197)
    at org.postgresql.Driver.connect(Driver.java:139)
    at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:512)
    at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:171)
    at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.DriverManagerConnectionFactory.createConnection(DriverManagerConnectionFactory.java:48)
    at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolableConnectionFactory.makeObject(PoolableConnectionFactory.java:290)
    at
org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool.borrowObject(GenericObjectPool.java:771)
    at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDataSource.getConnection(PoolingDataSource.java:95)
    at
fr.cerene.geosiara.gprs.receiver.ConnectionPool.getConnection(ConnectionPool.java:97)
    at
fr.cerene.geosiara.gprs.receiver.SQLoader.saveTrame(SQLoader.java:122)
    at fr.cerene.geosiara.gprs.receiver.SQLoader$1.run(SQLoader.java:219)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
End of Stack Trace

2005-03-01 12:23:44,156 : [WARN] SQLoader - java.lang.NullPointerException

I saw on the web that this can happened when the max number of connection
is reach but in my case postgresql is configure with 100 connections, in
the process list i had  ~50 connections.

Don't know what i can do...

Oliver Jowett wrote:

> Stéphane RIFF wrote:
>
>> I've create a connection pool with dbcp end another with
>> Jdbc3PoolingDatasource,
>> it seems to work well but :
>> My pool is a eight connections pool, the problem is when i get some
>> database exception (for example
>> "constraint violation", "duplicate key on unique index"...) the
>> connection didn't released to the pool.
>> After eight exception my application wait for a connection from the
>> pool which nerver give one because
>> of the PSQLException thrown.
>

> Perhaps your code does not release the connection to the pool
> correctly when handling the exception?
>
> The usual way to deal with this is to put connection releasing in a
> finally block, so it's sure to be run however you exit the try{} block.
>
> If it's not that, I'd need to see your code to debug this further.
>
> -O

Re: Connection pool problem

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Stephane,

You didn't read his email carefully enough. Close your connections in a
FINALLY block. That way they are guaranteed to be closed

as far as your exception below, that is very strange. If you are out of
connections on the server then you should get that error
not a bind exception ???

Dave

--
Dave Cramer
http://www.postgresintl.com

Re: [SPAM] - Re: Connection pool problem - Found word(s) list

От
Stéphane RIFF
Дата:
Yes sorry that's what i want to say "finally" blocks
and that's what i did.

For the exception i don"t have any more idea yet
Dave Cramer wrote:

> [...]
>>    at fr.cerene.geosiara.gprs.receiver.SQLoader$1.run(SQLoader.java:219)
>>    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
>> End of Stack Trace
>>
>> 2005-03-01 12:23:44,156 : [WARN] SQLoader -
>> java.lang.NullPointerException
>>
>> I saw on the web that this can happened when the max number of
>> connection
>> is reach but in my case postgresql is configure with 100 connections, in
>> the process list i had  ~50 connections.
>>
>> Don't know what i can do...
>>
>> Oliver Jowett wrote:

>>> Perhaps your code does not release the connection to the pool
>>> correctly when handling the exception?
>>>
>>> The usual way to deal with this is to put connection releasing in a
>>> finally block, so it's sure to be run however you exit the try{} block.
>>>
>>> If it's not that, I'd need to see your code to debug this further.

Re: Connection pool problem

От
Oliver Jowett
Дата:
Stéphane RIFF wrote:

> 2005-03-01 12:23:44,156 : [WARN] SQLoader - java.lang.NullPointerException

Can you get a stack trace for this exception? (the NPE, not the earlier one)

-O

Re: Connection pool problem

От
Guillaume Cottenceau
Дата:
Oliver Jowett <oliver 'at' opencloud.com> writes:

> Stéphane RIFF wrote:
>
> > 2005-03-01 12:23:44,156 : [WARN] SQLoader - java.lang.NullPointerException
>
> Can you get a stack trace for this exception? (the NPE, not the earlier one)

Stephan - in case, here's a method to get a human readable
stacktrace given an Exception object, if you don't use java 1.5:

    public static String backtrace( Exception e ) {
        StackTraceElement[] trace = e.getStackTrace();
        StringBuffer sb = new StringBuffer();
        for ( int i = 2; i < trace.length; i++ ) {
            sb.append( "\t" ).append( trace[i].toString() ).append( "\n" );
        }
        return sb.toString();
    }

--
Guillaume Cottenceau

Re: Connection pool problem

От
Stéphane RIFF
Дата:
Here is the NullPointerExceptionStack trace
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
fr.cerene.geosiara.gprs.receiver.SQLoader.saveTrame(SQLoader.java:139)
        at
fr.cerene.geosiara.gprs.receiver.SQLoader$1.run(SQLoader.java:229)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

fr.cerene.geosiara.gprs.receiver.SQLoader.saveTrame(SQLoader.java:139)
        fr.cerene.geosiara.gprs.receiver.SQLoader$1.run(SQLoader.java:229)
        java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

but it didn't give more information on the last exception
Thanks

Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:

>Oliver Jowett <oliver 'at' opencloud.com> writes:
>

>>Stéphane RIFF wrote:
>>

>>>2005-03-01 12:23:44,156 : [WARN] SQLoader - java.lang.NullPointerException
>>>

>>Can you get a stack trace for this exception? (the NPE, not the earlier one)
>>

>Stephan - in case, here's a method to get a human readable
>stacktrace given an Exception object, if you don't use java 1.5:
>
>    public static String backtrace( Exception e ) {
>        StackTraceElement[] trace = e.getStackTrace();
>        StringBuffer sb = new StringBuffer();
>        for ( int i = 2; i < trace.length; i++ ) {
>            sb.append( "\t" ).append( trace[i].toString() ).append( "\n" );
>        }
>        return sb.toString();
>    }

Re: Connection pool problem

От
Stéphane RIFF
Дата:
Here is another Stack trace, i got when
doing DriverManager.setLogWriter() :

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:postgresql://200.200.200.34:5432/geosiaradev")
    trying
driver[className=org.postgresql.Driver,org.postgresql.Driver@11ddcde]
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException
        at
org.postgresql.jdbc1.AbstractJdbc1Connection.openConnection(AbstractJdbc1Connection.java:208)
        at org.postgresql.Driver.connect(Driver.java:139)
        at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:512)
        at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:171)
        at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.DriverManagerConnectionFactory.createConnection(DriverManagerConnectionFactory.java:48)
        at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolableConnectionFactory.makeObject(PoolableConnectionFactory.java:290)
        at
org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool.borrowObject(GenericObjectPool.java:771)
        at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDataSource.getConnection(PoolingDataSource.java:95)
        at
fr.cerene.geosiara.gprs.receiver.ConnectionPool.getConnection(ConnectionPool.java:101)
        at
fr.cerene.geosiara.gprs.receiver.SQLoader.saveTrame2(SQLoader.java:210)
        at
fr.cerene.geosiara.gprs.receiver.SQLoader$1.run(SQLoader.java:317)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
getConnection failed: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: The connection
[...]

fr.cerene.geosiara.gprs.receiver.SQLoader.saveTrame2(SQLoader.java:227)

Stéphane RIFF wrote:

> Here is the NullPointerExceptionStack trace
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>        at
> fr.cerene.geosiara.gprs.receiver.SQLoader.saveTrame(SQLoader.java:139)
>        at
> fr.cerene.geosiara.gprs.receiver.SQLoader$1.run(SQLoader.java:229)
>
> fr.cerene.geosiara.gprs.receiver.SQLoader.saveTrame(SQLoader.java:139)
>        fr.cerene.geosiara.gprs.receiver.SQLoader$1.run(SQLoader.java:229)
>        java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
>
> but it didn't give more information on the last exception
> Thanks
>
> Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
>
>> Oliver Jowett <oliver 'at' opencloud.com> writes:

>>> Can you get a stack trace for this exception? (the NPE, not the
>>> earlier one)
>>>

>> Stephan - in case, here's a method to get a human readable
>> stacktrace given an Exception object, if you don't use java 1.5:
>>
>>    public static String backtrace( Exception e ) {
>>        StackTraceElement[] trace = e.getStackTrace();
>>        StringBuffer sb = new StringBuffer();
>>        for ( int i = 2; i < trace.length; i++ ) {
>>            sb.append( "\t" ).append( trace[i].toString() ).append(
>> "\n" );
>>        }
>>        return sb.toString();
>>    }

Re: Connection pool problem

От
Stéphane RIFF
Дата:
I finally get it to work. The problem doesn't come from
jdbc nor dbcp, it's because i use cygwin to connect to gnome
on the linux box. It seems that there are conflict between cygwyn ports
and jdbc ports
Don't have a real explanation but if cygwin not running everything works
in jdbc & dbcp
Bye