Обсуждение: Official JDBC driver release ?

Official JDBC driver release ?

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Hello,

I'm a bit puzzled about the versions of the JDBC driver floating around.

I initially downloaded the release for 7.3 from jdbc.postgresql.org

Now I have seen that the JDBC driver which is included e.g. in the RPM's
for 7.3.3 is a bit older and has a different name (pg73b1jdbc3.jar vs.
pg73jdbc3.jar)

The version from jdbc.postgresql.org (which is newer) has at least one
bug which is not found in the version included in the RPM
(getForeignKeys() returns duplicate entries, meaning the same
FK/table/column name is contained twice in the result set)

Now this leads me to the question: what is the official version of the
JDBC driver for pgsql 7.3.x?

Kind regards
Thomas Kellerer

Re: Official JDBC driver release ?

От
Barry Lind

Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a bit puzzled about the versions of the JDBC driver floating around.
>
> I initially downloaded the release for 7.3 from jdbc.postgresql.org
>
> Now I have seen that the JDBC driver which is included e.g. in the RPM's
> for 7.3.3 is a bit older and has a different name (pg73b1jdbc3.jar vs.
> pg73jdbc3.jar)

The pg73b1jdbc3.jar file is very old (it is the 7.3 beta 1 version).
What RPMs are you using?  You should contact whoever produced those RPMs
to get them built with the current version.  The 'official' version is
the source code that is tagged with the 7.3.3 freeze label (which is the
version that is currently posted on the jdbc.postgresql.org web site)

--Barry

Re: Official JDBC driver release ?

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Barry Lind schrieb:
>> I'm a bit puzzled about the versions of the JDBC driver floating around.
>>
>> I initially downloaded the release for 7.3 from jdbc.postgresql.org
>>
>> Now I have seen that the JDBC driver which is included e.g. in the
>> RPM's for 7.3.3 is a bit older and has a different name
>> (pg73b1jdbc3.jar vs. pg73jdbc3.jar)
>

> The pg73b1jdbc3.jar file is very old (it is the 7.3 beta 1 version).
> What RPMs are you using?  You should contact whoever produced those RPMs
> to get them built with the current version.  The 'official' version is
> the source code that is tagged with the 7.3.3 freeze label (which is the
> version that is currently posted on the jdbc.postgresql.org web site)
>
> --Barry
Barry,

thanks for the answer.

The pg73b1jdbc3.jar file is contained in all the 7.3.3 rpm available on
the ftp mirrors... (ok, not necessarilly all, but I checked about 3 or 4
different mirrors)

I don't know who builds the rpms on the mirror sites available from
www.postgresql.org

Cheers
Thomas

Re: Official JDBC driver release ?

От
Paul Thomas
Дата:
On 05/06/2003 07:14 Thomas Kellerer wrote:

> The pg73b1jdbc3.jar file is contained in all the 7.3.3 rpm available on
> the ftp mirrors... (ok, not necessarilly all, but I checked about 3 or 4
> different mirrors)
>
> I don't know who builds the rpms on the mirror sites available from
> www.postgresql.org

I build 7.3.3 (including JDBC driver) from source. Is that not an option
for you?

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |

Re: Official JDBC driver release ?

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Paul Thomas schrieb:

> On 05/06/2003 07:14 Thomas Kellerer wrote:
>

>> The pg73b1jdbc3.jar file is contained in all the 7.3.3 rpm available
>> on the ftp mirrors... (ok, not necessarilly all, but I checked about 3
>> or 4 different mirrors)
>>
>> I don't know who builds the rpms on the mirror sites available from
>> www.postgresql.org
>

> I build 7.3.3 (including JDBC driver) from source. Is that not an option
> for you?

No. Usually I'm running on Windows, and my last try to compile Postgres on
my Linux box didn't work :-( (but I don't want to break off a discussion
about that now)

But I'm happy with build 110 available from jdbc.postgresql.org
Btw: is there a way I can find out the build number of a specifiy driver jar?

Cheers
Thomas

Re: Official JDBC driver release ?

От
Paul Thomas
Дата:
On 05/06/2003 22:31 Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> I build 7.3.3 (including JDBC driver) from source. Is that not an
>> option for you?
>>

> No. Usually I'm running on Windows, and my last try to compile Postgres
> on my Linux box didn't work :-( (but I don't want to break off a
> discussion about that now)
>
> But I'm happy with build 110 available from jdbc.postgresql.org
> Btw: is there a way I can find out the build number of a specifiy driver
> jar?

Looking at the source, there's a static getVersion() method in
org.postgresql.Driver. This also returns the build number, which is also
110 for the version included with the 7.3.3 sources.

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |

Re: Official JDBC driver release ?

От
Barry Lind
Дата:
Thomas,

The way to find out the version number (in 7.3 and later versions) is to
turn on debug logging by adding "?loglevel=1" to the connection URL
(loglevel=2 if you want more verbose output).  This will show you the
version number.

thanks,
--Barry

Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Paul Thomas schrieb:
>

>> On 05/06/2003 07:14 Thomas Kellerer wrote:
>>

>>> The pg73b1jdbc3.jar file is contained in all the 7.3.3 rpm available
>>> on the ftp mirrors... (ok, not necessarilly all, but I checked about
>>> 3 or 4 different mirrors)
>>>
>>> I don't know who builds the rpms on the mirror sites available from
>>> www.postgresql.org
>>

>> I build 7.3.3 (including JDBC driver) from source. Is that not an
>> option for you?
>>

> No. Usually I'm running on Windows, and my last try to compile Postgres
> on my Linux box didn't work :-( (but I don't want to break off a
> discussion about that now)
>
> But I'm happy with build 110 available from jdbc.postgresql.org
> Btw: is there a way I can find out the build number of a specifiy driver
> jar?
>
> Cheers
> Thomas

Re: Official JDBC driver release ?

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Barry,

thanks for the info. Is there a way I can redirect those informations to
a file (other then re-assigning System.out or System.err)?

Cheers
Thomas

Barry Lind schrieb:
> Thomas,
>
> The way to find out the version number (in 7.3 and later versions) is to
> turn on debug logging by adding "?loglevel=1" to the connection URL
> (loglevel=2 if you want more verbose output).  This will show you the
> version number.
>
> thanks,
> --Barry
>

> Thomas Kellerer wrote:
>
>> Paul Thomas schrieb:

>>> I build 7.3.3 (including JDBC driver) from source. Is that not an
>>> option for you?
>>>

>> No. Usually I'm running on Windows, and my last try to compile
>> Postgres on my Linux box didn't work :-( (but I don't want to break
>> off a discussion about that now)
>>
>> But I'm happy with build 110 available from jdbc.postgresql.org
>> Btw: is there a way I can find out the build number of a specifiy
>> driver jar?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Thomas

>> TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>> subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>> message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Official JDBC driver release ?

От
Barry Lind
Дата:
Thomas,

Yes, if you look at java.sql.DriverManager there is a static method
setLogWriter() that will let you redirect log output anywhere you want.

thanks,
--Barry