Обсуждение: The new driver and PostgreSQL7.1.3

The new driver and PostgreSQL7.1.3

От
Chantal Ackermann
Дата:
Hello all,

I' d like to use the new postgres driver without installing a new postgres
(for the moment). My current PostgreSQL version is 7.1.3. I downloaded the
driver jdbc7.2dev-1.2.jar. I get a connection, but I still want to be sure
that the name of the jar does not mean that it can't be used together with
the 7.1.3 version of the database.

My second question refers to the PreparedStatement. I would be satisfied with
a link to a precise docu (or an answer, of course).
I have use as data types in my tables CHAR(4) and TEXT (and others). to
insert data into columns containing these data types I use
PreparedStatement.setString(int, String).

I get the Exception:
java.sql.SQLException: ERROR:  Unable to identify an operator '='
for types 'int4' and 'text'
        You will have to retype this query using an explicit cast

        at org.postgresql.core.QueryExecutor.execute(QueryExecutor.java:94)
        at org.postgresql.Connection.ExecSQL(Connection.java:398)
        at org.postgresql.jdbc2.Statement.execute(Statement.java:130)
        at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.PreparedStatement.execute(PreparedStatement.java:765)
        at de.biomax.geda.sql.DBManager.insertGeneData(DBManager.java:300)

the message is quit clear, however, I don't know where and what exactly I
have to cast to make this work. On the other hand, if it would be better to
change the column data types I could do that without problem. I've chosen
CHAR(4) out of performance reasons.

thank you for any help!
chantal

Re: The new driver and PostgreSQL7.1.3

От
"Dave Cramer"
Дата:
Chantal,

The answer to your first question is that they can be used together.

The answer to your second question will require more information. Can
you send the table definition, and the insert sql

DAve

[...]

"Nick Fankhauser"

> I still want
> to be sure
> that the name of the jar does not mean that it can't be used
> together with
> the 7.1.3 version of the database.

My understanding based on earlier posts from "the people who should know" is
that the 7.2 driver is compatible with 7.1.3. I've been using it in this way
on a development system with no problems for a while, but of course, I don't
exercise every function.

> I get the Exception:
> java.sql.SQLException: ERROR:  Unable to identify an operator '='
> for types 'int4' and 'text'
>         You will have to retype this query using an explicit cast

If you can send the prepared statement text, table create statement, and the
line you get the error on to the list, it would help solve this.

One simple thing you might check first- The last time I got this error, I
had mis-counted my columns, and so I was off by one & really was trying to
stuff a string into an integer field.

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser  nickf@ontko.com  Phone 1.765.935.4283  Fax 1.765.962.9788
Ray Ontko & Co.     Software Consulting Services     http://www.ontko.com/

Re: The new driver and PostgreSQL7.1.3

От
Chantal Ackermann
Дата:
hello Nick, hello Dave,

I tried to send a second message, but I don't know if the mail server
delivered it meanwhile.
Thank you for your answers.

I found out by myself why I got this error: In fact it's what you wrote in
your answer, Nick. I was trying to put int values in text columns. My table
definition was erroneous. It didn't came to my mind to check the table
definition as I have references on other tables from these columns and their
definition is right. I thought, nothing could be wrong as the creation got
through without warnings.

Thank you!
Chantal