Обсуждение: embedded sql interface to ip address type

embedded sql interface to ip address type

От
Rob Fowler
Дата:
Is there such thing? Is there an example? I have had no trouble with the
embedded sql until now. The documentation is a bit thin but it's so close to
everyone else's implementation it's a breeze, great work by the developers.

--
Rob Fowler

Re: embedded sql interface to ip address type

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 05:41:12PM +1100, Rob Fowler wrote:
> Is there such thing? Is there an example? I have had no trouble with the

What exactly do you mean?  A C type for IP addresses? That doesn't
exist. Right now this type has to be stored in character strings.

I've just started working on a seperate lib to implement all the special types in C as well. But IP addresses is not on
mytodo list for the near future.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Email: Michael@Fam-Meskes.De

Re: embedded sql interface to ip address type

От
"Rob Fowler"
Дата:
> What exactly do you mean?  A C type for IP addresses? That doesn't
> exist. Right now this type has to be stored in character strings.

Thanks for the answer Michael. That was exactly what I meant and your answer
was exactly what I needed. I thought I needed to bind the address structure
to the ipaddr column but that did not work so I changed the type to text and
converted the address to a char string. Now you tell me it's just text, I
went back and changed the database datatype to inet address and it's all
good.
--
Rob Fowler

Re: embedded sql interface to ip address type

От
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain"
Дата:
> What exactly do you mean?  A C type for IP addresses? That doesn't
> exist. Right now this type has to be stored in character strings.

You mean base types written in C?  We certainly do.

darcy=# select '123.4.5.6'::inet << '123.4.5.0/24'::cidr;?column?
----------t
(1 row)

darcy=# select '123.4.5.6'::inet << '123.4.6.0/24'::cidr;?column?
----------f
(1 row)

The above says that the IP address 123.4.5.6 is in the CIDR block 123.4.5.0/24
but not in 123.4.6.0/24.

We also have a MAC address type. See the documentation pages at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=0&file=datatype-net-types.html
and
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=0&file=functions-net.html
for details.

Re: embedded sql interface to ip address type

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 05:33:30AM -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > What exactly do you mean?  A C type for IP addresses? That doesn't
> > exist. Right now this type has to be stored in character strings.
>
> You mean base types written in C?  We certainly do.

Yes, we have that in PGSQL, but not as a seperate C library. In C you
can only use char * so far. I'd like to have an implementation of CIDR
as C types as well.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes