Обсуждение: Merging PyGreSQL development into PostgreSQL

Merging PyGreSQL development into PostgreSQL

От
darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
Дата:
As some of you may have already noticed, after discussions with Thomas
Lockhart I have officially moved the development of PyGreSQL directly
into the PostgreSQL tree.  I think that this will be beneficial to both
the PostgreSQL project and PyGreSQL.

We were talking about the PyGreSQL version number and whether I should
switch to tracking the PostgreSQL version number instead of using an
independent one.  Thomas points out that others may think that they
need to upgrade when they don't need to because the number got bumped.
On the other hand I think that people should start building PyGreSQL
in conjunction with PostgreSQL anyway so that may not be an issue.
Anyone have any ideas one way or the other?

Re: Merging PyGreSQL development into PostgreSQL

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
D'Arcy J.M. Cain writes:

> As some of you may have already noticed, after discussions with Thomas
> Lockhart I have officially moved the development of PyGreSQL directly
> into the PostgreSQL tree.  I think that this will be beneficial to both
> the PostgreSQL project and PyGreSQL.

Btw., someone has converted the PyGreSQL README to DocBook and I'm
currently in the process of integrating it into the Programmer's Guide.
This could be even more benefit to PyGreSQL.  ;-)  Would you be willing
to/what are your thoughts on maintaining the PyGreSQL documentation this
way for the future?  This would seem like the ideal time to make this
move.

> We were talking about the PyGreSQL version number and whether I should
> switch to tracking the PostgreSQL version number instead of using an
> independent one.  Thomas points out that others may think that they
> need to upgrade when they don't need to because the number got bumped.
> On the other hand I think that people should start building PyGreSQL
> in conjunction with PostgreSQL anyway so that may not be an issue.
> Anyone have any ideas one way or the other?

I think PyGreSQL should keep its own version number, if only for
informational purposes.  There may be PostgreSQL releases where PyGreSQL
changes are relatively minor, in which case you only bumb the minor
version number.  Several other interfaces are using a similar approach.

Re: Merging PyGreSQL development into PostgreSQL

От
darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
Дата:
Thus spake Peter Eisentraut
> D'Arcy J.M. Cain writes:
> > As some of you may have already noticed, after discussions with Thomas
> > Lockhart I have officially moved the development of PyGreSQL directly
> > into the PostgreSQL tree.  I think that this will be beneficial to both
> > the PostgreSQL project and PyGreSQL.
>
> Btw., someone has converted the PyGreSQL README to DocBook and I'm
> currently in the process of integrating it into the Programmer's Guide.
> This could be even more benefit to PyGreSQL.  ;-)  Would you be willing
> to/what are your thoughts on maintaining the PyGreSQL documentation this
> way for the future?  This would seem like the ideal time to make this
> move.

In fact that was what prompted the discussion between Thomas and I.  He
has an sgml file which I have to look over.  Perhaps it is the same
document you are looking at.  Perhaps we need to get something into
the tree so that we can all work on the same document.

> I think PyGreSQL should keep its own version number, if only for
> informational purposes.  There may be PostgreSQL releases where PyGreSQL
> changes are relatively minor, in which case you only bumb the minor
> version number.  Several other interfaces are using a similar approach.

Seems reasonable.  Unless someone comes up with a good reason to switch
then, I will keep on the way I am.

Re: Merging PyGreSQL development into PostgreSQL

От
Baruch HaShem Adonai
Дата:
> Anyone have any ideas one way or the other?

I think that perhaps you should change your version number to track both.
The reason I say this, is that your app is a seperate product even though
it is bundled into the postgresql stuff, and you development cycle may
vary from the core postgresql stuff.  On the hand, it would be good to
know that a particular version of your product works with a particular
version of postgres.  So for instance (not knowing your current verison)
you could have a version like:
7.2-3.5

Where the first number is the verison of Postgres, and the second is the
verison of your app...my two cents...james
> --
> D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@{druid|vex}.net>   |  Democracy is three wolves
> http://www.druid.net/darcy/                |  and a sheep voting on
> +1 416 425 1212     (DoD#0082)    (eNTP)   |  what's for dinner.

Re: Merging PyGreSQL development into PostgreSQL

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
D'Arcy J.M. Cain writes:

> In fact that was what prompted the discussion between Thomas and I.  He
> has an sgml file which I have to look over.  Perhaps it is the same
> document you are looking at.  Perhaps we need to get something into
> the tree so that we can all work on the same document.

I've checked in what I got now.  It's based on the current README.  You
should be able to find it at

http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/pygresql.html

within a few hours.  If somebody has something better, feel free...