Обсуждение: Does Type Have = Operator?

Does Type Have = Operator?

От
"David E. Wheeler"
Дата:
Hackers,

pgTAP has a function that compares two values of a given type, which it uses for comparing column defaults. It looks
likethis:
   CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION _def_is( TEXT, TEXT, anyelement, TEXT )   RETURNS TEXT AS $$   DECLARE       thing text;
BEGIN       IF $1 ~ '^[^'']+[(]' THEN           -- It's a functional default.           RETURN is( $1, $3, $4 );
ENDIF;
       EXECUTE 'SELECT is('                || COALESCE($1, 'NULL' || '::' || $2) || '::' || $2 || ', '
||COALESCE(quote_literal($3), 'NULL') || '::' || $2 || ', '                || COALESCE(quote_literal($4), 'NULL')
||')' INTO thing;       RETURN thing;   END;   $$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

The is() function does an IS DISTINCT FROM to compare the two values passed to it. This has been working pretty well
foryears, but one place it doesn’t work is with JSON values. I get:
   LINE 1: SELECT NOT $1 IS DISTINCT FROM $2                         ^   HINT:  No operator matches the given name and
argumenttype(s). You might need to add explicit type casts.   QUERY:  SELECT NOT $1 IS DISTINCT FROM $2

This makes sense, of course, and I could fix it by comparing text values instead of json values when the values are
JSON.But of course the lack of a = operator is not limited to JSON. So I’m wondering if there’s an interface at the SQL
levelto tell me whether a type has an = operator? That way I could always use text values in those situations.

Thanks,

David

Re: Does Type Have = Operator?

От
Fabrízio de Royes Mello

                          ^
    HINT:  No operator matches the given name and argument type(s). You might need to add explicit type casts.
    QUERY:  SELECT NOT $1 IS DISTINCT FROM $2

This makes sense, of course, and I could fix it by comparing text values instead of json values when the values are JSON. But of course the lack of a = operator is not limited to JSON. So I’m wondering if there’s an interface at the SQL level to tell me whether a type has an = operator? That way I could always use text values in those situations.

Searching for the operator in pg_operator catalog isn't enought?

Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Consultoria/Coaching PostgreSQL

Re: Does Type Have = Operator?

Дата:
"David E. Wheeler" <david@justatheory.com> writes:
> pgTAP has a function that compares two values of a given type, which it uses for comparing column defaults. It looks
likethis:

>     CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION _def_is( TEXT, TEXT, anyelement, TEXT )
>     RETURNS TEXT AS $$

Given that you're coercing both one input value and the result to text,
I don't understand why you don't just compare the text representations.

I'm also not very clear on what you mean by "comparing column defaults".
A column default is an expression (in the general case anyway), not just
a value of the type.

Maybe if you'd shown us the is() function, as well as a typical usage
of _def_is(), this would be less opaque.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Does Type Have = Operator?

От
"David G. Johnston"