Обсуждение: pgcommitfest reply having corrupted subject line

pgcommitfest reply having corrupted subject line

От
Noah Misch
Дата:
The following message, which bears "User-Agent: pgcommitfest",

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20160202164101.1291.30526.pgcf@coridan.postgresql.org

added spaces after commas in its subject line, compared to the subject line of
its In-Reply-To message.
    new subject line: Re: Add generate_series(date, date) and generate_series(date, date, integer)
previous subject line: Re: Add generate_series(date,date) and generate_series(date,date,integer)

I see no way to manually alter the subject line from the
commitfest.postgresql.org review UI.  Is commitfest.postgresql.org initiating
this change internally?

Thanks,
nm

Re: pgcommitfest reply having corrupted subject line

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
The following message, which bears "User-Agent: pgcommitfest",

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20160202164101.1291.30526.pgcf@coridan.postgresql.org

added spaces after commas in its subject line, compared to the subject line of
its In-Reply-To message.

     new subject line: Re: Add generate_series(date, date) and generate_series(date, date, integer)
previous subject line: Re: Add generate_series(date,date) and generate_series(date,date,integer)

I see no way to manually alter the subject line from the
commitfest.postgresql.org review UI.  Is commitfest.postgresql.org initiating
this change internally?

That is weird.

The CF app certainly doesn't do that intentionally - it copies it from the archives. And if I look in the db on the cf app, it has the subject without the space as the field that it copied :O

The code is line 355-358 at:

the "subject" field in the db that we copy does not have the spaces... I honestly have no idea where they are coming from :O I'm guessing it must be something internally in the python libraries that create the MIME. Have you seen this with any other messages, that you can recall, or just this one?

--

Re: pgcommitfest reply having corrupted subject line

От
Noah Misch
Дата:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgcommitfest2.git;a=blob;f=pgcommitfest/commitfest/views.py;h=b4f19b2db470e5269943418b2402ca9ddfff0dff;hb=fec3b2431730c131a206a170a99a7610cdbacc6b#l355

> the "subject" field in the db that we copy does not have the spaces... I
> honestly have no idea where they are coming from :O I'm guessing it must be
> something internally in the python libraries that create the MIME.

So it is.  The problem happens when email.mime.text.MIMEText wraps the subject
line; see attached test program.

> Have you
> seen this with any other messages, that you can recall, or just this one?

Just this one.  However, no other hackers subject line since 2015-01-01
contains a comma followed by something other than a space.

Вложения

Ouch. So that's basically a bug in the python standard libraries :( It looks a lot like this one, doesn't it? https://bugs.python.org/issue25257

> Have you
> seen this with any other messages, that you can recall, or just this one?

Just this one.  However, no other hackers subject line since 2015-01-01
contains a comma followed by something other than a space.

I wonder in that case if it's worth trying to do something about that in our code, or just leave it be.

--

Re: pgcommitfest reply having corrupted subject line

От
Noah Misch
Дата:
On Sun, Feb 07, 2016 at 03:49:47PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 3:44 AM, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 09:19:19AM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > So it is.  The problem happens when email.mime.text.MIMEText wraps the
> > subject line; see attached test program.
>
> Ouch. So that's basically a bug in the python standard libraries :( It
> looks a lot like this one, doesn't it? https://bugs.python.org/issue25257
>
> > > Have you
> > > seen this with any other messages, that you can recall, or just this one?
> >
> > Just this one.  However, no other hackers subject line since 2015-01-01
> > contains a comma followed by something other than a space.
>
> I wonder in that case if it's worth trying to do something about that in
> our code, or just leave it be.

In light of those facts, I would leave it.  Thanks for tracking down the
Python bug.