Re: pgcommitfest reply having corrupted subject line

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: pgcommitfest reply having corrupted subject line
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 3:44 AM, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 09:19:19AM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 7:26 AM, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
> > The following message, which bears "User-Agent: pgcommitfest",
> >

> > http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20160202164101.1291.30526.pgcf@coridan.postgresql.org
> >
> > added spaces after commas in its subject line, compared to the subject
> > line of
> > its In-Reply-To message.
> >
> >      new subject line: Re: Add generate_series(date, date) and
> > generate_series(date, date, integer)
> > previous subject line: Re: Add generate_series(date,date) and
> > generate_series(date,date,integer)
> >
> > I see no way to manually alter the subject line from the
> > commitfest.postgresql.org review UI.  Is commitfest.postgresql.org
> > initiating
> > this change internally?
> >

> That is weird.
>
> The CF app certainly doesn't do that intentionally - it copies it from the
> archives. And if I look in the db on the cf app, it has the subject without
> the space as the field that it copied :O
>
> The code is line 355-358 at:
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgcommitfest2.git;a=blob;f=pgcommitfest/commitfest/views.py;h=b4f19b2db470e5269943418b2402ca9ddfff0dff;hb=fec3b2431730c131a206a170a99a7610cdbacc6b#l355
>
> the "subject" field in the db that we copy does not have the spaces... I
> honestly have no idea where they are coming from :O I'm guessing it must be
> something internally in the python libraries that create the MIME.

So it is.  The problem happens when email.mime.text.MIMEText wraps the subject
line; see attached test program.

Ouch. So that's basically a bug in the python standard libraries :( It looks a lot like this one, doesn't it? https://bugs.python.org/issue25257

> Have you
> seen this with any other messages, that you can recall, or just this one?

Just this one.  However, no other hackers subject line since 2015-01-01
contains a comma followed by something other than a space.

I wonder in that case if it's worth trying to do something about that in our code, or just leave it be.