Обсуждение: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hello

two years a operator "=>" is marked as deprecated (from PostgreSQL 9.2).

Isn't time to use it for named parameters now (for PostgreSQL 9.5) ?

I am sending a implementation where syntax based on "=>" symbol is second (but preferred) variant of ":=" syntax .. syntax ":=" will be supported still.

Here is a patch

comments, notices?

Regards

Pavel
Вложения

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 8:27 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> two years a operator "=>" is marked as deprecated (from PostgreSQL 9.2).
>
> Isn't time to use it for named parameters now (for PostgreSQL 9.5) ?

I'm cool with that.  It's possible that there are installations out
there that still have => operators installed, but every
still-supported release warns you not to do that, and the hstore
change exists in three released versions.  Anyway, no amount of
waiting will eliminate the hazard completely.

> I am sending a implementation where syntax based on "=>" symbol is second
> (but preferred) variant of ":=" syntax .. syntax ":=" will be supported
> still.
>
> Here is a patch

I think you should just remove the WARNING, not change it to an error.
If somebody wants to quote the operator name to be able to continue
using it, I think that's OK.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

От
Pavel Stehule

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 8:27 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> two years a operator "=>" is marked as deprecated (from PostgreSQL 9.2).
>
> Isn't time to use it for named parameters now (for PostgreSQL 9.5) ?

I'm cool with that.  It's possible that there are installations out
there that still have => operators installed, but every
still-supported release warns you not to do that, and the hstore
change exists in three released versions.  Anyway, no amount of
waiting will eliminate the hazard completely.

> I am sending a implementation where syntax based on "=>" symbol is second
> (but preferred) variant of ":=" syntax .. syntax ":=" will be supported
> still.
>
> Here is a patch

I think you should just remove the WARNING, not change it to an error.
If somebody wants to quote the operator name to be able to continue
using it, I think that's OK.

I have no problem with it. Just I'll try if there are no some unexpected problem and I'll send a updated patch

Regards

Pavel

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

От
Pavel Stehule

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 8:27 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> two years a operator "=>" is marked as deprecated (from PostgreSQL 9.2).
>
> Isn't time to use it for named parameters now (for PostgreSQL 9.5) ?

I'm cool with that.  It's possible that there are installations out
there that still have => operators installed, but every
still-supported release warns you not to do that, and the hstore
change exists in three released versions.  Anyway, no amount of
waiting will eliminate the hazard completely.

> I am sending a implementation where syntax based on "=>" symbol is second
> (but preferred) variant of ":=" syntax .. syntax ":=" will be supported
> still.
>
> Here is a patch

I think you should just remove the WARNING, not change it to an error.
If somebody wants to quote the operator name to be able to continue
using it, I think that's OK.

It looks so quoting doesn't help here

+ CREATE OPERATOR "=>" (
+    leftarg = int8,<--><------>-- right unary
+    procedure = numeric_fac
+ );
+ ERROR:  syntax error at or near "("
+ LINE 1: CREATE OPERATOR "=>" (
+                              ^

Regards

Pavel

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 2:59 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think you should just remove the WARNING, not change it to an error.
>> If somebody wants to quote the operator name to be able to continue
>> using it, I think that's OK.
>
> It looks so quoting doesn't help here
>
> + CREATE OPERATOR "=>" (
> +    leftarg = int8,<--><------>-- right unary
> +    procedure = numeric_fac
> + );
> + ERROR:  syntax error at or near "("
> + LINE 1: CREATE OPERATOR "=>" (
> +                              ^

Well then the error check is just dead code.  Either way, you don't need it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Pavel Stehule wrote:

> It looks so quoting doesn't help here
>
> + CREATE OPERATOR "=>" (
> +    leftarg = int8,<--><------>-- right unary
> +    procedure = numeric_fac
> + );
> + ERROR:  syntax error at or near "("
> + LINE 1: CREATE OPERATOR "=>" (
> +                              ^

Does it work to use OPERATOR(=>) syntax?  I don't think identifier
quoting works for operators.

Pavel Stehule wrote:

> It looks so quoting doesn't help here
>
> + CREATE OPERATOR "=>" (
> +    leftarg = int8,<--><------>-- right unary
> +    procedure = numeric_fac
> + );
> + ERROR:  syntax error at or near "("
> + LINE 1: CREATE OPERATOR "=>" (
> +                              ^

Does it work to use OPERATOR(=>) syntax?  I don't think identifier
quoting works for operators.

it doesn't work too

--
Álvaro Herrera                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

От
Pavel Stehule

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 2:59 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think you should just remove the WARNING, not change it to an error.
>> If somebody wants to quote the operator name to be able to continue
>> using it, I think that's OK.
>
> It looks so quoting doesn't help here
>
> + CREATE OPERATOR "=>" (
> +    leftarg = int8,<--><------>-- right unary
> +    procedure = numeric_fac
> + );
> + ERROR:  syntax error at or near "("
> + LINE 1: CREATE OPERATOR "=>" (
> +                              ^

Well then the error check is just dead code.  Either way, you don't need it.

yes, I removed it

Regards

Pavel

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Вложения

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

От
Petr Jelinek
Дата:
On 19/01/15 17:14, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> <mailto:robertmhaas@gmail.com>>:
>
>     On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 2:59 AM, Pavel Stehule
>     <pavel.stehule@gmail.com <mailto:pavel.stehule@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     >> I think you should just remove the WARNING, not change it to an error.
>     >> If somebody wants to quote the operator name to be able to continue
>     >> using it, I think that's OK.
>     >
>     > It looks so quoting doesn't help here
>     >
>     > + CREATE OPERATOR "=>" (
>     > +    leftarg = int8,<--><------>-- right unary
>     > +    procedure = numeric_fac
>     > + );
>     > + ERROR:  syntax error at or near "("
>     > + LINE 1: CREATE OPERATOR "=>" (
>     > +                              ^
>
>     Well then the error check is just dead code.  Either way, you don't
>     need it.
>

> yes, I removed it

I am marking this as Ready For Committer, the patch is trivial and works
as expected, there is nothing to be added to it IMHO.

The "=>" operator was deprecated for several years so it should not be
too controversial either.

Services

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

От
Pavel Stehule

    On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 2:59 AM, Pavel Stehule
    <pavel.stehule@gmail.com <mailto:pavel.stehule@gmail.com>> wrote:
    >> I think you should just remove the WARNING, not change it to an error.
    >> If somebody wants to quote the operator name to be able to continue
    >> using it, I think that's OK.
    >
    > It looks so quoting doesn't help here
    >
    > + CREATE OPERATOR "=>" (
    > +    leftarg = int8,<--><------>-- right unary
    > +    procedure = numeric_fac
    > + );
    > + ERROR:  syntax error at or near "("
    > + LINE 1: CREATE OPERATOR "=>" (
    > +                              ^

    Well then the error check is just dead code.  Either way, you don't
    need it.

yes, I removed it

I am marking this as Ready For Committer, the patch is trivial and works as expected, there is nothing to be added to it IMHO.

The "=>" operator was deprecated for several years so it should not be too controversial either.

Thank you very much

Pavel

--
 Petr Jelinek                  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 3:15 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am marking this as Ready For Committer, the patch is trivial and works
>> as expected, there is nothing to be added to it IMHO.
>>
>> The "=>" operator was deprecated for several years so it should not be too
>> controversial either.

Committed with a few documentation tweaks.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

Дата:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 3:15 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am marking this as Ready For Committer, the patch is trivial and works
>> as expected, there is nothing to be added to it IMHO.
>>
>> The "=>" operator was deprecated for several years so it should not be too
>> controversial either.

> Committed with a few documentation tweaks.

Was there any consideration given to whether ruleutils should start
printing NamedArgExprs with "=>"?  Or do we think that needs to wait?
        regards, tom lane

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

От
Pavel Stehule

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 3:15 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am marking this as Ready For Committer, the patch is trivial and works
>> as expected, there is nothing to be added to it IMHO.
>>
>> The "=>" operator was deprecated for several years so it should not be too
>> controversial either.

> Committed with a few documentation tweaks.

Was there any consideration given to whether ruleutils should start
printing NamedArgExprs with "=>"?  Or do we think that needs to wait?

I didn't think about it? I don't see any reason why it have to use deprecated syntax.

Regards

Pavel

                        regards, tom lane

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

От
Petr Jelinek
Дата:
On 10/03/15 17:01, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> <mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>>:
>
>     Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com <mailto:robertmhaas@gmail.com>>
>     writes:
>
>     > Committed with a few documentation tweaks.
>
>     Was there any consideration given to whether ruleutils should start
>     printing NamedArgExprs with "=>"?  Or do we think that needs to wait?
>

> I didn't think about it? I don't see any reason why it have to use
> deprecated syntax.

There is one, loading the output into older version of Postgres. Don't
know if that's important one though.

Services

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

От
Pavel Stehule

    > Committed with a few documentation tweaks.

    Was there any consideration given to whether ruleutils should start
    printing NamedArgExprs with "=>"?  Or do we think that needs to wait?

I didn't think about it? I don't see any reason why it have to use
deprecated syntax.

There is one, loading the output into older version of Postgres. Don't know if that's important one though.

I don't think so it is a hard issue. We doesn't support downgrades - and if somebody needs it, it can fix it with some regexp. We should to use preferred syntax everywhere - and preferred syntax should be ANSI.

I forgot it :(

Pavel

--
 Petr Jelinek                  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 3:15 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am marking this as Ready For Committer, the patch is trivial and works
>>> as expected, there is nothing to be added to it IMHO.
>>>
>>> The "=>" operator was deprecated for several years so it should not be too
>>> controversial either.
>
>> Committed with a few documentation tweaks.
>
> Was there any consideration given to whether ruleutils should start
> printing NamedArgExprs with "=>"?  Or do we think that needs to wait?

I have to admit that I didn't consider that.  What do you think?  I
guess I'd be tentatively in favor of changing that to match, but I
could be convinced otherwise.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

Дата:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Was there any consideration given to whether ruleutils should start
>> printing NamedArgExprs with "=>"?  Or do we think that needs to wait?

> I have to admit that I didn't consider that.  What do you think?  I
> guess I'd be tentatively in favor of changing that to match, but I
> could be convinced otherwise.

Well, as said upthread, the argument for not changing would be that it
would make it easier to dump views and reload them into older PG versions.
I'm not sure how big a consideration that is, or whether it outweighs
possible cross-DBMS compatibility benefits of dumping the more standard
syntax.  Presumably we are going to change it at some point; maybe we
should just do it rather than waiting another 5 years.

IOW, I guess I lean mildly towards changing, but I've been beaten up
enough lately about backwards-compatibility worries that I'm not going
to fight for changing this.
        regards, tom lane

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

От
Kevin Grittner
Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Was there any consideration given to whether ruleutils should start
>>> printing NamedArgExprs with "=>"?  Or do we think that needs to wait?
>>
>> I have to admit that I didn't consider that.  What do you think?  I
>> guess I'd be tentatively in favor of changing that to match, but I
>> could be convinced otherwise.

> Presumably we are going to change it at some point; maybe we
> should just do it rather than waiting another 5 years.

+1

It has been deprecated long enough that I don't see the point of waiting.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

Дата:
Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Presumably we are going to change it at some point; maybe we
>> should just do it rather than waiting another 5 years.

> +1

> It has been deprecated long enough that I don't see the point of waiting.

Uh, just to clarify, this has nothing to do with how long the operator has
been deprecated.  The issue is whether pg_dump should dump a function-call
syntax that will not be recognized by any pre-9.5 release, when there is
an alternative that will be recognized back to 9.0.

BTW, I just noticed another place that probably should be changed:

regression=# select foo(x => 1);
ERROR:  42883: function foo(x := integer) does not exist
LINE 1: select foo(x => 1);              ^
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.
LOCATION:  ParseFuncOrColumn, parse_func.c:516
        regards, tom lane

               ^
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.
LOCATION:  ParseFuncOrColumn, parse_func.c:516

1. funcname_signature_string
2. get_rule_expr

                        regards, tom lane

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 2:32 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. funcname_signature_string
> 2. get_rule_expr

Thanks.  Patch attached.  I'll commit this if there are no objections.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Вложения

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

Дата:
On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 02:51:30PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 2:32 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1. funcname_signature_string
> > 2. get_rule_expr
>
> Thanks.  Patch attached.  I'll commit this if there are no objections.

Robert, are you going to apply this?

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
href="mailto:bruce@momjian.us">bruce@momjian.us</a>>:<brtype="attribution" /><blockquote class="gmail_quote"
style="margin:00 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 02:51:30PM -0400, Robert
Haaswrote:<br /> > On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 2:32 PM, Pavel Stehule <<a
href="mailto:pavel.stehule@gmail.com">pavel.stehule@gmail.com</a>>wrote:<br /> > > 1.
<<ahref="mailto:bruce@momjian.us">bruce@momjian.us</a>>        <a href="http://momjian.us"
target="_blank">http://momjian.us</a><br/>   EnterpriseDB                             <a href="http://enterprisedb.com"

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

Дата:
On Fri, May  1, 2015 at 05:25:53AM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> It is done

Uh, I am not sure why you say that as I don't see any commit related to
this.  Can you show me the commit?

> Dne 1.5.2015 3:11 napsal uživatel "Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us>:
>
>     On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 02:51:30PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>     > On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 2:32 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>
>     wrote:
>     > > 1. funcname_signature_string
>     > > 2. get_rule_expr
>     >
>     > Thanks.  Patch attached.  I'll commit this if there are no objections.
>
>     Robert, are you going to apply this?
>
>     --
>       Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
>       EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com
>
>       + Everyone has their own god. +

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

От
Petr Jelinek
Дата:
On 01/05/15 15:01, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, May  1, 2015 at 05:25:53AM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> It is done
>
> Uh, I am not sure why you say that as I don't see any commit related to
> this.  Can you show me the commit?

865f14a2d31af23a05bbf2df04c274629c5d5c4d

Services

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

Дата:
On Fri, May  1, 2015 at 03:13:28PM +0200, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> On 01/05/15 15:01, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >On Fri, May  1, 2015 at 05:25:53AM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> >>It is done
> >
> >Uh, I am not sure why you say that as I don't see any commit related to
> >this.  Can you show me the commit?
> >

> 865f14a2d31af23a05bbf2df04c274629c5d5c4d

But that doesn't touch these:
1. funcname_signature_string2. get_rule_expr

which is what Robert's later patch did:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+TgmobCMF7F50+feJpcLR8E_Lyv45AYXBSdiog-NS7VLuFopg@mail.gmail.com

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

От
Petr Jelinek
Дата:
On 01/05/15 15:17, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, May  1, 2015 at 03:13:28PM +0200, Petr Jelinek wrote:
>>>
>>> Uh, I am not sure why you say that as I don't see any commit related to
>>> this.  Can you show me the commit?
>>>

>> 865f14a2d31af23a05bbf2df04c274629c5d5c4d
>
> But that doesn't touch these:
>
>     1. funcname_signature_string
>     2. get_rule_expr
>
> which is what Robert's later patch did:
>
>     http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+TgmobCMF7F50+feJpcLR8E_Lyv45AYXBSdiog-NS7VLuFopg@mail.gmail.com

Oh, now I see what you mean, yeah that does not appear to have been
committed.

Services

Re: proposal: disallow operator "=>" and use it for named parameters

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 9:11 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 02:51:30PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 2:32 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > 1. funcname_signature_string
>> > 2. get_rule_expr
>>
>> Thanks.  Patch attached.  I'll commit this if there are no objections.
>
> Robert, are you going to apply this?

Good catch.  I had totally forgotten about this.  Committed now, thanks.