Обсуждение: To do for psql to show installable extensions

To do for psql to show installable extensions

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:
I'd like to propose a wiki to-do item for a backslash command in psql which would show all installable extensions, basically just a wrapper around 'select * from pg_available_extensions'.

I've wanted it a few times recently, mostly in testing.

Any reason this wouldn't be desirable?  What should it be called? I thought of \dx+, but the + is already used to show the objects associated with the extensions.  (Althought it seems like it would more in keeping with other usage if \dx+ only listed the objects if it was given a pattern, and did what I propose if given no pattern)

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: To do for psql to show installable extensions

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Jeff Janes wrote:
> I'd like to propose a wiki to-do item for a backslash command in psql which
> would show all installable extensions, basically just a wrapper around
> 'select * from pg_available_extensions'.
>
> I've wanted it a few times recently, mostly in testing.

+1.

> Any reason this wouldn't be desirable?

No idea.  I guess if pg_available_extensions is acceptable, a \-command
should be acceptable as well.  But you might as well look up the old
discussions that led to the current situation where we have an SRF and
not a \-command.

> What should it be called?

\dxx / \dxi ?   As long as it shows in \dx<tab> I am fine with almost
anything sensible, really.

> I thought of \dx+, but the + is already used to show the objects
> associated with the extensions.  (Althought it seems like it would
> more in keeping with other usage if \dx+ only listed the objects if it
> was given a pattern, and did what I propose if given no pattern)

I hate the pattern/no pattern discrepancy -- I vote not to propagate it
any further.

Re: To do for psql to show installable extensions

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Jeff Janes (jeff.janes@gmail.com) wrote:
> I'd like to propose a wiki to-do item for a backslash command in psql which
> would show all installable extensions, basically just a wrapper around
> 'select * from pg_available_extensions'.

I guess I don't feel very strongly for or against adding a backslash
command for this, but just wanted to mention that you can use table, as
in:

table pg_available_extensions;

Slightly shorter. :)
Thanks,
    Stephen

Re: To do for psql to show installable extensions

Дата:
> Jeff Janes wrote:
>> I thought of \dx+, but the + is already used to show the objects
>> associated with the extensions.  (Althought it seems like it would
>> more in keeping with other usage if \dx+ only listed the objects if it
>> was given a pattern, and did what I propose if given no pattern)

> I hate the pattern/no pattern discrepancy -- I vote not to propagate it
> any further.

The set of things that is known about an installed extension is quite
a bit different from what is known about an uninstalled-but-available
one.  To make \dx print both categories would require dumbing it down
to print only the intersection of those things, or else some fancy
footwork and a lot of NULL column values.  -1 for that.  (This is exactly
why pg_available_extensions is separate from pg_extension in the first
place.)

I'm okay with inventing some new command like "\dxu" or "\dxa" (mnemonic
"uninstalled" or "available" respectively).
        regards, tom lane

Re: To do for psql to show installable extensions

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
napsal(a):<br/> ><br /> > Alvaro Herrera <<a
>>> I thought of \dx+, but the + is already used to show the objects<br /> > >> associated with the
extensions. (Althought it seems like it would<br /> > >> more in keeping with other usage if \dx+ only listed
>> I hate the pattern/no pattern discrepancy -- I vote not to propagate it<br /> > > any further.<br />
whatis known about an uninstalled-but-available<br /> > one.  To make \dx print both categories would require
dumbingit down<br /> > to print only the intersection of those things, or else some fancy<br /> > footwork and a
lotof NULL column values.  -1 for that.  (This is exactly<br /> > why pg_available_extensions is separate from
/>> Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (<a
href="mailto:pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org">pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org</a>)<br/> > To make changes to your
subscription:<br/> > <a
href="http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers">http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers</a><br/>

Re: To do for psql to show installable extensions

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 01:05:16PM -0800, Jeff Janes wrote:
> I'd like to propose a wiki to-do item for a backslash command in psql which
> would show all installable extensions, basically just a wrapper around
> 'select * from pg_available_extensions'.
>
> I've wanted it a few times recently, mostly in testing.

If your psql has libreadline, you can CREATE EXTENSION <tab><tab> and
get a list.  It doesn't distinguish between installed ones and
available, though.

> Any reason this wouldn't be desirable?  What should it be called? I thought
> of \dx+, but the + is already used to show the objects associated with the
> extensions.  (Althought it seems like it would more in keeping with other
> usage if \dx+ only listed the objects if it was given a pattern, and did
> what I propose if given no pattern)

For what it's worth, of the proposals so far, I like \dxa most.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!