Обсуждение: pg_recvlogical tests

pg_recvlogical tests

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

I have some preliminary tests for the pg_recvlogical binary using the
infrastructure Peter added. I am wondering if somebody has a good idea
about how to make the tests more meaningful. Currently all that's tested
are simple commands. Not the main functionality namely the actual
streaming of changes.
I wonder if somebody has a great idea for cancelling pg_recvlogical
after a while. Right now my best idea is to add a new
--stop-after-messages parameter. Does anybody have a better idea?

If that's the way, would somebody object to tests and the parameter
being added now? The potential harm seems pretty low and the additional
tests would cover the walsender interface that's not covered by any
tests right now...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services

Re: pg_recvlogical tests

От
Euler Taveira
Дата:
On 15-05-2014 18:09, Andres Freund wrote:
> I have some preliminary tests for the pg_recvlogical binary using the
> infrastructure Peter added. I am wondering if somebody has a good idea
> about how to make the tests more meaningful. Currently all that's tested
> are simple commands. Not the main functionality namely the actual
> streaming of changes.

Could you post your preliminary patch?

> I wonder if somebody has a great idea for cancelling pg_recvlogical
> after a while. Right now my best idea is to add a new
> --stop-after-messages parameter. Does anybody have a better idea?

pgbench uses two stop conditions: (i) number of transactions and (ii)
time. These could be applied to pg_recvlogical too.

--transactions=NUM
--time=NUM

> If that's the way, would somebody object to tests and the parameter
> being added now? The potential harm seems pretty low and the additional
> tests would cover the walsender interface that's not covered by any
> tests right now...

beta is not the right time to add even a *minor* functionality. Let's do
it for 9.5.

--   Euler Taveira                   Timbira - http://www.timbira.com.br/  PostgreSQL: Consultoria, Desenvolvimento,
Suporte24x7 e Treinamento

Re: pg_recvlogical tests

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2014-05-15 18:52:45 -0300, Euler Taveira wrote:
> On 15-05-2014 18:09, Andres Freund wrote:
> > I have some preliminary tests for the pg_recvlogical binary using the
> > infrastructure Peter added. I am wondering if somebody has a good idea
> > about how to make the tests more meaningful. Currently all that's tested
> > are simple commands. Not the main functionality namely the actual
> > streaming of changes.
> >
> Could you post your preliminary patch?

It's not particularly interesting yet, but attached.

> > I wonder if somebody has a great idea for cancelling pg_recvlogical
> > after a while. Right now my best idea is to add a new
> > --stop-after-messages parameter. Does anybody have a better idea?
> >
> pgbench uses two stop conditions: (i) number of transactions and (ii)
> time. These could be applied to pg_recvlogical too.
>
> --transactions=NUM
> --time=NUM

Sounds too complicated for what I need it for. The former isn't easily
implementable because pg_recvlogical doesn't know about transactions and
the latter isn't that interesting for the tests because it'll have
timing issues...

> > If that's the way, would somebody object to tests and the parameter
> > being added now? The potential harm seems pretty low and the additional
> > tests would cover the walsender interface that's not covered by any
> > tests right now...
> >
> beta is not the right time to add even a *minor* functionality. Let's do
> it for 9.5.

I am not interested in the feature iself at all. I am interested into
adding more tests for new functionality that's currently not tested in
an automated fassion. And I do think beta isn't a bad time for that. We
didn't *have* the infrastructure for the tests of binaries until the end
of the last CF, so I couldn't have added it during development.

Greetings,

Andres Freund