Обсуждение: Windows Tools

Windows Tools

От
David Fetter
Дата:
Hello,

At work, I've been tasked with providing some Windows connection
libraries, etc.  Are people still using MinGW, or should I just
recommend using a proprietary toolkit to do the builds?  If so, which
one(s)?

Cheers,
David (Windows n00b)

Remember to vote!

Re: Windows Tools

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 4:11 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> At work, I've been tasked with providing some Windows connection
> libraries, etc.  Are people still using MinGW, or should I just
> recommend using a proprietary toolkit to do the builds?  If so, which
> one(s)?

Visual C++ 2005 for 8.3/8.4 or 2008 for 9.0. You can use the free
"Express" versions, but you'll need the Windows SDK as well with those
(also free). Setup info is in the docs - note that it can be a little
painful to get the SDK fully registered with 2005, but it seems to be
completely automatic with 2008.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: Windows Tools

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 17:18, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 4:11 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> At work, I've been tasked with providing some Windows connection
>> libraries, etc.  Are people still using MinGW, or should I just
>> recommend using a proprietary toolkit to do the builds?  If so, which
>> one(s)?
>
> Visual C++ 2005 for 8.3/8.4 or 2008 for 9.0. You can use the free
> "Express" versions, but you'll need the Windows SDK as well with those
> (also free). Setup info is in the docs - note that it can be a little
> painful to get the SDK fully registered with 2005, but it seems to be
> completely automatic with 2008.

If you download the latest SDK, you don't even need Visual C++ Express
- you can build directly from the SDK. Assuming you don't *want* the
IDE, of course...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Windows Tools

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 06:24:06PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 17:18, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 4:11 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> At work, I've been tasked with providing some Windows connection
> >> libraries, etc.  Are people still using MinGW, or should I just
> >> recommend using a proprietary toolkit to do the builds?  If so,
> >> which one(s)?
> >
> > Visual C++ 2005 for 8.3/8.4 or 2008 for 9.0. You can use the free
> > "Express" versions, but you'll need the Windows SDK as well with
> > those (also free). Setup info is in the docs - note that it can be
> > a little painful to get the SDK fully registered with 2005, but it
> > seems to be completely automatic with 2008.
>
> If you download the latest SDK, you don't even need Visual C++
> Express - you can build directly from the SDK.  Assuming you don't
> *want* the IDE, of course...

Here are a few of the things I'd rather have than that IDE:

* Root canal therapy without anaesthesia
* Migraine
* Windows for my desktop

Fortunately, it looks like I'll get none of the above for this project :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Windows Tools

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
Hi David

I seem to recall the last time that I built Postgres on windows using
VC++, there was a whole load of compiler warnings, because MS have
taken it upon themselves to deprecate various C std lib functions (in
particular, string.h functions). You're supposed to use their
non-standard variants that specify bounds. They can safely be ignored.

Peter Geoghegan

Re: Windows Tools

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 00:26, Peter Geoghegan
<peter.geoghegan86@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David
>
> I seem to recall the last time that I built Postgres on windows using
> VC++, there was a whole load of compiler warnings, because MS have
> taken it upon themselves to deprecate various C std lib functions (in
> particular, string.h functions). You're supposed to use their
> non-standard variants that specify bounds. They can safely be ignored.

That must've been a *long* time ago. IIRC, we got rid of those before
making the MSVC build official in a release... I wonder if you're
mixing it up with the time when we only supported building libpq with
it - we didn't, i think, remove those warnings back then...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Windows Tools

От
Pavel Golub
Дата:
Hello, David.

We are still using MinGW. Why? How? And other questions are answered
in my post:
http://pgolub.wordpress.com/2008/12/15/building-postgresql-client-library-using-mingw-under-winxp-sp3/

--
With best wishes,Pavel                          mailto:pavel@gf.microolap.com