Обсуждение: unchecked out of memory in postmaster.c

unchecked out of memory in postmaster.c

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Hi,

Some time ago I noticed that in postmaster.c there's a corner case which
probably causes postmaster to exit in out-of-memory condition.  See
BackendStartup, near the bottom, there's a call to DLNewElem().  The
problem is that this function calls palloc() and thus can elog(ERROR) on
OOM, but postmaster has no way to defend itself from this and would die.

I haven't ever seen postmaster die from this, but I don't think it's a
good idea to let it be like this, given the strict promises we make
about its reliability.  Probably a simple PG_TRY block around the
DLNewElem call suffices ...?

Re: unchecked out of memory in postmaster.c

Дата:
> Some time ago I noticed that in postmaster.c there's a corner case which
> probably causes postmaster to exit in out-of-memory condition.  See
> BackendStartup, near the bottom, there's a call to DLNewElem().  The
> problem is that this function calls palloc() and thus can elog(ERROR) on
> OOM, but postmaster has no way to defend itself from this and would die.

So?  There are probably hundreds of palloc calls that are reachable from
the postmaster main loop.  If this were allocating more than a few bytes
of memory, it might be worth worrying about.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Some time ago I noticed that in postmaster.c there's a corner case which
> > probably causes postmaster to exit in out-of-memory condition.  See
> > BackendStartup, near the bottom, there's a call to DLNewElem().  The
> > problem is that this function calls palloc() and thus can elog(ERROR) on
> > OOM, but postmaster has no way to defend itself from this and would die.
>
> So?  There are probably hundreds of palloc calls that are reachable from
> the postmaster main loop.  If this were allocating more than a few bytes
> of memory, it might be worth worrying about.

Hundreds?  I think you'd be hard pressed to find as much as a dozen :-)
I mean stuff that's called inside ServerLoop, of course.  There are a
few places calling alloc-type functions, but as far as I see they use
calloc or malloc, and behave "sanely" (i.e. not elog(ERROR)) in OOM.

Note that BackendStartup itself is very careful about allocating a
Backend struct, even when it's just ~10 bytes on 32 bits machines.

I think a patch to solve this is as simple as the attached.

Re: unchecked out of memory in postmaster.c

Дата:
> I think a patch to solve this is as simple as the attached.

I guess I need to point out that those ereport calls already pose a far
more substantial risk of palloc failure than the DLNewElem represents.

You seem to have forgotten about releasing the DLElem if the fork fails,
too.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > I think a patch to solve this is as simple as the attached.
>
> I guess I need to point out that those ereport calls already pose a far
> more substantial risk of palloc failure than the DLNewElem represents.

Hmm, do they?  I mean, don't they use ErrorContext, which is supposed to
be preallocated?

> You seem to have forgotten about releasing the DLElem if the fork fails,
> too.

Doh, sorry about that.

Re: unchecked out of memory in postmaster.c

Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I guess I need to point out that those ereport calls already pose a far
>> more substantial risk of palloc failure than the DLNewElem represents.

> Hmm, do they?  I mean, don't they use ErrorContext, which is supposed to
> be preallocated?

Well, we'd like to think that they pose an insignificant risk, but it's
hard to credit that DLNewElem isn't insignificant as well.

If you're really intent on doing something about this, my inclination
would be to get rid of the dependence on DLNewElem altogether.  Add
a Dlelem field to the Backend struct and use DLInitElem (compare
the way catcache uses that module).
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> I guess I need to point out that those ereport calls already pose a far
> >> more substantial risk of palloc failure than the DLNewElem represents.
>
> > Hmm, do they?  I mean, don't they use ErrorContext, which is supposed to
> > be preallocated?
>
> Well, we'd like to think that they pose an insignificant risk, but it's
> hard to credit that DLNewElem isn't insignificant as well.

Yeah, actually as I said earlier, I haven't ever seen this.

> If you're really intent on doing something about this, my inclination
> would be to get rid of the dependence on DLNewElem altogether.  Add
> a Dlelem field to the Backend struct and use DLInitElem (compare
> the way catcache uses that module).

Hmm, yeah, I had seen that code.  So it looks like this instead.

Re: unchecked out of memory in postmaster.c

Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> If you're really intent on doing something about this, my inclination
>> would be to get rid of the dependence on DLNewElem altogether.  Add
>> a Dlelem field to the Backend struct and use DLInitElem (compare
>> the way catcache uses that module).

> Hmm, yeah, I had seen that code.  So it looks like this instead.

Looks a lot nicer to me ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: unchecked out of memory in postmaster.c

Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> If you're really intent on doing something about this, my inclination
>> would be to get rid of the dependence on DLNewElem altogether.  Add
>> a Dlelem field to the Backend struct and use DLInitElem (compare
>> the way catcache uses that module).

> Hmm, yeah, I had seen that code.  So it looks like this instead.

Huh, didn't you commit this yet?
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> If you're really intent on doing something about this, my inclination
> >> would be to get rid of the dependence on DLNewElem altogether.  Add
> >> a Dlelem field to the Backend struct and use DLInitElem (compare
> >> the way catcache uses that module).
>
> > Hmm, yeah, I had seen that code.  So it looks like this instead.
>
> Huh, didn't you commit this yet?

Sorry, I just did.