Обсуждение: spoonbill is failing citext test

spoonbill is failing citext test

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Hi,

I don't know if you have noticed, but the spoonbill buildfarm member is
failing the citext test.  Unfortunately the regression diff is not very
helpful:

Binary files /home/pgbuild/pgbuildfarm/HEAD/pgsql.2397/contrib/citext/expected/citext.out and
/home/pgbuild/pgbuildfarm/HEAD/pgsql.2397/contrib/citext/results/citext.outdiffer

http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=spoonbill&dt=2008-10-14%20100509&stg=contrib-install-check

Maybe we should pass -a to diff so that it displays the difference even
if it thinks the file is binary.

Re: spoonbill is failing citext test

От
"David E. Wheeler"
Дата:
On Oct 14, 2008, at 12:36, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> I don't know if you have noticed, but the spoonbill buildfarm member
> is
> failing the citext test.  Unfortunately the regression diff is not
> very
> helpful:
>
> Binary files /home/pgbuild/pgbuildfarm/HEAD/pgsql.2397/contrib/
> citext/expected/citext.out and /home/pgbuild/pgbuildfarm/HEAD/pgsql.
> 2397/contrib/citext/results/citext.out differ

http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=spoonbill&dt=2008-10-14%20100509&stg=contrib-install-check

> Maybe we should pass -a to diff so that it displays the difference
> even
> if it thinks the file is binary.

What does the diff look like now?

Thanks,

David

Re: spoonbill is failing citext test

Дата:
> Maybe we should pass -a to diff so that it displays the difference even
> if it thinks the file is binary.

Unfortunately not portable:

$ /usr/bin/diff -a foo bar
/usr/bin/diff: illegal option -- a       usage: diff [ -C n ] [ -S name ] [ -bcefhilnrstw ] dir1 dir2
diff[-C n ] [ -bcefhintw ] file1 file2               diff [ -D string ] [ -biw ] file1 file2

Perhaps Stefan can run the test manually and get us a readable diff.
        regards, tom lane

Re: spoonbill is failing citext test

От
Aidan Van Dyk
Дата:
* Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [081014 16:08]:
> > Maybe we should pass -a to diff so that it displays the difference even
> > if it thinks the file is binary.
>
> Unfortunately not portable:
>
> $ /usr/bin/diff -a foo bar
> /usr/bin/diff: illegal option -- a
>         usage: diff [ -C n ] [ -S name ] [ -bcefhilnrstw ] dir1 dir2
>                 diff [-C n ] [ -bcefhintw ] file1 file2
>                 diff [ -D string ] [ -biw ] file1 file2

I'll bet /usr/bin/make pukes on PostgreSQL make files there too ;-)

a.

aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,

Re: spoonbill is failing citext test

От
Andrew Dunstan

Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
> * Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [081014 16:08]:
>
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:
>>
>>> Maybe we should pass -a to diff so that it displays the difference even
>>> if it thinks the file is binary.
>>>
>> Unfortunately not portable:
>>
>> $ /usr/bin/diff -a foo bar
>> /usr/bin/diff: illegal option -- a
>>         usage: diff [ -C n ] [ -S name ] [ -bcefhilnrstw ] dir1 dir2
>>                 diff [-C n ] [ -bcefhintw ] file1 file2
>>                 diff [ -D string ] [ -biw ] file1 file2
>>

> I'll bet /usr/bin/make pukes on PostgreSQL make files there too ;-)

So what? We have an explicit dependency on GNU make, but not on GNU
diffutils. We try quite hard to keep the list of dependencies down.

cheers

andrew

Re: spoonbill is failing citext test

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Maybe we should pass -a to diff so that it displays the difference even
>> if it thinks the file is binary.
>
> Unfortunately not portable:
>
> $ /usr/bin/diff -a foo bar
> /usr/bin/diff: illegal option -- a
>         usage: diff [ -C n ] [ -S name ] [ -bcefhilnrstw ] dir1 dir2
>                 diff [-C n ] [ -bcefhintw ] file1 file2
>                 diff [ -D string ] [ -biw ] file1 file2
>
> Perhaps Stefan can run the test manually and get us a readable diff.

well what we are looking at here are actually two issues - one is the
regression failure - diff -a produces:

http://www.kaltenbrunner.cc/files/citext.diff.txt

the other problem is that each of those failures leaves spoonbill with a  running postgresql instance that causes a
followup failure with the

next buildfarm run because there is not enough shared memory left for
another instance ...

Stefan

Re: spoonbill is failing citext test

От
"David E. Wheeler"
Дата:
On Oct 14, 2008, at 14:00, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

> well what we are looking at here are actually two issues - one is
> the regression failure - diff -a produces:
>
> http://www.kaltenbrunner.cc/files/citext.diff.txt

Am I reading that right? Is there really just an issue of a different
number of spaces before the caret in that error message? Seems kinda
weird…

Best,

David

Re: spoonbill is failing citext test

От
Andrew Dunstan

Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:
>>> Maybe we should pass -a to diff so that it displays the difference even
>>> if it thinks the file is binary.
>>
>> Unfortunately not portable:
>>
>> $ /usr/bin/diff -a foo bar
>> /usr/bin/diff: illegal option -- a
>>         usage: diff [ -C n ] [ -S name ] [ -bcefhilnrstw ] dir1 dir2
>>                 diff [-C n ] [ -bcefhintw ] file1 file2
>>                 diff [ -D string ] [ -biw ] file1 file2
>>
>> Perhaps Stefan can run the test manually and get us a readable diff.
>
> well what we are looking at here are actually two issues - one is the
> regression failure - diff -a produces:
>
> http://www.kaltenbrunner.cc/files/citext.diff.txt
>
> the other problem is that each of those failures leaves spoonbill with
> a  running postgresql instance that causes a follow up failure with
> the next buildfarm run because there is not enough shared memory left
> for another instance ...

Why should it leave a running postgresql instance?

cheers

andrew

Re: spoonbill is failing citext test

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Oct 14, 2008, at 14:00, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>
>> well what we are looking at here are actually two issues - one is the
>> regression failure - diff -a produces:
>>
>> http://www.kaltenbrunner.cc/files/citext.diff.txt
>
> Am I reading that right? Is there really just an issue of a different
> number of spaces before the caret in that error message? Seems kinda weird…

well it seems to report the error location different from what
regression output says it should (though I would argue that the
regression output actually looks more correct/usable than the expected
output).

Stefan

Re: spoonbill is failing citext test

Дата:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Perhaps Stefan can run the test manually and get us a readable diff.

> well what we are looking at here are actually two issues - one is the
> regression failure - diff -a produces:
> http://www.kaltenbrunner.cc/files/citext.diff.txt

Huh.  This is blowback from the change I made recently to make "cannot
cast to insert target type" errors point at the source expression
instead of the target column name.  Easily fixed, but I wonder why
spoonbill was complaining?  Apparently it thought the output file was
not textual (thus defeating the --ignore-spaces option), but why?

> the other problem is that each of those failures leaves spoonbill with a
>   running postgresql instance that causes a follow up failure with the
> next buildfarm run

I think this is a known buildfarm-script problem --- it forgets to shut
down the installed postmaster if there's a failure in this step.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
>> the other problem is that each of those failures leaves spoonbill with a
>>   running postgresql instance that causes a follow up failure with the
>> next buildfarm run
>>

> I think this is a known buildfarm-script problem --- it forgets to shut
> down the installed postmaster if there's a failure in this step.

That bug has been fixed (in Script version 1.93 / Release 3.1, released
back in June). Spoonbill is unfortunately running an older version.

cheers

andrew

Re: spoonbill is failing citext test

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> the other problem is that each of those failures leaves spoonbill
>>> with a   running postgresql instance that causes a follow up failure
>>> with the next buildfarm run
>>>

>> I think this is a known buildfarm-script problem --- it forgets to shut
>> down the installed postmaster if there's a failure in this step.
>>

> That bug has been fixed (in Script version 1.93 / Release 3.1, released
> back in June). Spoonbill is unfortunately running an older version.

*grmbl* 3.0 in fact - will update ...

Stefan