Обсуждение: Mirror problems for download

Mirror problems for download

От
Michael Paesold
Дата:
Not being subscribed to any more appropriate list, I post this here on
hackers.

I just wanted to download the postgresql-8.0.9 tarball. The page I got
was this:

Choose a download mirror
Downloading: /source/v8.0.9/postgresql-8.0.9.tar.gz
We could not query the database or no mirrors could be found!
Download PostgreSQL from the primary site
Read this if you would like to host a mirror.

Of course the primary FTP site is already unavailable (530 - maximum
number of users reached).

I get the same error for older releases, too. Can someone look into this?

Best Regards
Michael Paesold

[ CC: to webmaster@postgresql.org ]

Re: Mirror problems for download

От
Shane Ambler
Дата:
Michael Paesold wrote:
> Not being subscribed to any more appropriate list, I post this here on
> hackers.
>
> I just wanted to download the postgresql-8.0.9 tarball. The page I got
> was this:
>
> Choose a download mirror
> Downloading: /source/v8.0.9/postgresql-8.0.9.tar.gz
> We could not query the database or no mirrors could be found!
> Download PostgreSQL from the primary site
> Read this if you would like to host a mirror.
>
> Of course the primary FTP site is already unavailable (530 - maximum
> number of users reached).
>
> I get the same error for older releases, too. Can someone look into this?

Your seeing a general overload problem - with new versions just released
everyone is jumping on and downloading at the same time.

Indicates that the popularity of PostgreSQL is at a level where the
current resources are reaching thier limits and more mirror sites may be
needed.

I haven't noticed any torrent files for postgreSQL releases - maybe we
can look into setting this up to share the load, particularly around
release times.

--

Shane Ambler
Postgres@007Marketing.com

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz

Re: Mirror problems for download

От
Michael Paesold
Дата:
Shane Ambler wrote:
> Michael Paesold wrote:
>> Not being subscribed to any more appropriate list, I post this here on
>> hackers.
>>
>> I just wanted to download the postgresql-8.0.9 tarball. The page I got
>> was this:
>>
>> Choose a download mirror
>> Downloading: /source/v8.0.9/postgresql-8.0.9.tar.gz
>> We could not query the database or no mirrors could be found!
>> Download PostgreSQL from the primary site
>> Read this if you would like to host a mirror.
>>
>> Of course the primary FTP site is already unavailable (530 - maximum
>> number of users reached).
>>
>> I get the same error for older releases, too. Can someone look into this?
>>

> Your seeing a general overload problem - with new versions just released
> everyone is jumping on and downloading at the same time.

This message (see above) does not look just like an overload problem, no?>> We could not query the database or no
mirrorscould be found!

Best Regards
Michael Paesold

Re: Mirror problems for download

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> Not being subscribed to any more appropriate list, I post
> this here on hackers.
>
> I just wanted to download the postgresql-8.0.9 tarball. The
> page I got was this:
>
> Choose a download mirror
> Downloading: /source/v8.0.9/postgresql-8.0.9.tar.gz
> We could not query the database or no mirrors could be found!
> Download PostgreSQL from the primary site Read this if you
> would like to host a mirror.
>
> Of course the primary FTP site is already unavailable (530 -
> maximum number of users reached).
>
> I get the same error for older releases, too. Can someone
> look into this?

Thanks for reporting this. It has now been fixed - it was a problem with
the mirror checking script being fooled by a temporary file that
couldn't be removed because it was owned by the wrong user. Db is
updating now, all mirrors should be back in 10 minutes or so.

(Man, it's convenient with wireless internet on the airplane
somtimes...)

//Magnus

Re: Mirror problems for download

От
Michael Paesold
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Michael Paesold wrote:
>> I just wanted to download the postgresql-8.0.9 tarball. The
>> page I got was this:
>>
>> Choose a download mirror
>> Downloading: /source/v8.0.9/postgresql-8.0.9.tar.gz
>> We could not query the database or no mirrors could be found!
>> Download PostgreSQL from the primary site Read this if you
>> would like to host a mirror.
>>
>> Of course the primary FTP site is already unavailable (530 -
>> maximum number of users reached).
>>
>> I get the same error for older releases, too. Can someone
>> look into this?
>
> Thanks for reporting this. It has now been fixed - it was a problem with
> the mirror checking script being fooled by a temporary file that
> couldn't be removed because it was owned by the wrong user. Db is
> updating now, all mirrors should be back in 10 minutes or so.

Thanks for fixing. Works again for me.

> (Man, it's convenient with wireless internet on the airplane
> somtimes...)

:-)

Best Regards
Michael Paesold

Re: Mirror problems for download

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 09:25:01PM +0930, Shane Ambler wrote:
> I haven't noticed any torrent files for postgreSQL releases - maybe we
> can look into setting this up to share the load, particularly around
> release times.

We used to release torrents but stopped because they weren't all that
popular. Search the archives for details.

Re: Mirror problems for download

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > I haven't noticed any torrent files for postgreSQL releases
> - maybe we
> > can look into setting this up to share the load,
> particularly around
> > release times.
>
> We used to release torrents but stopped because they weren't
> all that popular. Search the archives for details.

Not only that, it also didn't really help anybody given that the
postgresql distribution files are so small.

Also, ifr it wasn't clear, this was *not* a load case. It was a case of
a dangling file with incorrect permissions that blocked a script from
doing it's job. A permanent fix is being worked on.

//Magnus