I like the first. The second and third seem less obvious to me.
'default_shared' should definitely get the point across, though it's a
little long.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Utility database

От
Andrew Dunstan

Dave Page wrote:

>>Thus, "sys_shared", "def_share", "user_commons" are all sorts of names
>>that suggest that this is some sort of default/shared area.
>>

>I like the first. The second and third seem less obvious to me.
>'default_shared' should definitely get the point across, though it's a
>little long.

It strikes me that these names just might have some significance to
developers but will have none at all for users. I don't heve a better
alternative ... maybe because the purpose has been expressed somewhat
fuzzily.

cheers

andrew

Re: Utility database

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> It strikes me that these names just might have some significance to
> developers but will have none at all for users. I don't heve a better
> alternative ... maybe because the purpose has been expressed somewhat
> fuzzily.

I'd define the purpose like this:

- being a db that's existing reliably right after initdb, unless deleted
by an ( evil-minded :-) admin.

- contain data for cluster wide system services, e.g. pgAgent schedules,
configuration for autovacuumV2, profiling data

regards,
Andreas

Re: Utility database

Дата:
"Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> I like the first. The second and third seem less obvious to me.
> 'default_shared' should definitely get the point across, though it's a
> little long.

I think "shared" would give the wrong impression to many people ---
nowadays the connotation of that is something that you are exposing
to at least your local network, maybe the entire internet (think
"Windows shares").  I realize that the meaning you had in mind was
"shared among authorized users of this Postgres cluster", but I doubt
that implication will come through to very many newbies.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Utility database

От
Jon Jensen
Дата:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

>>> Thus, "sys_shared", "def_share", "user_commons" are all sorts of names
>>> that suggest that this is some sort of default/shared area.
>>
>> I like the first. The second and third seem less obvious to me.
>> 'default_shared' should definitely get the point across, though it's a
>> little long.
>
> It strikes me that these names just might have some significance to
> developers but will have none at all for users. I don't heve a better
> alternative ... maybe because the purpose has been expressed somewhat
> fuzzily.

It seems that far and away the most common use of this database will be as
the default database to connect to with any of the client apps. Thus Tom's
suggestion of "default" makes the most sense to me.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation