Обсуждение: Re: Problem compiling postgres sql --with-tcl

Re: Problem compiling postgres sql --with-tcl

От
"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD"
Tom wrote:
> > Would a patch for src/pl/tcl/Makefile still be accepted for 7.2 ?
>
> If it's simple and low-risk, probably so.  Please submit it anyway,
> so we'll have it on file even if the decision is to hold it till
> 7.3.

Unfortunately the issue is in both interfaces/libpgtcl and pl/tcl.
libpgtcl is not prepared for the tclConfig.sh stuff, thus it would be
more than a few lines.

Second I do not understand why the Makefile in pl/tcl is so complicated,
and not similar e.g. to the plpython one, so the first task should be to
simplify the Makefile to use Makefile.shlib, and not cook it's own soup.

Basically:NAME=pltclOBJS=pltcl.o SHLIB_LINK=$(TCL_LIB_SPEC) $(TCL_LIBS)all: all-lib

Third unfortunately my daughter is sick and my wife asked me to come home,
so I won't be able to work on it till Monday :-(

Andreas

Re: Problem compiling postgres sql --with-tcl

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD writes:

> Second I do not understand why the Makefile in pl/tcl is so complicated,
> and not similar e.g. to the plpython one, so the first task should be to
> simplify the Makefile to use Makefile.shlib, and not cook it's own soup.

All the oddities in that makefile are there because presumably some system
needed them in the past.  Personally, I think the whole makefile is one
big bug, but I wasn't too eager to touch it because it seemed to work.
Now that we have an actual case where it doesn't I guess we need to look
at it.

> Basically:
>     NAME=pltcl
>     OBJS=pltcl.o
>     SHLIB_LINK=$(TCL_LIB_SPEC) $(TCL_LIBS)
>     all: all-lib

That seems about right.  Please try it out at your convenience.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Problem compiling postgres sql --with-tcl

Дата:
> Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD writes:
>> Second I do not understand why the Makefile in pl/tcl is so complicated,
>> and not similar e.g. to the plpython one, so the first task should be to
>> simplify the Makefile to use Makefile.shlib, and not cook it's own soup.

> All the oddities in that makefile are there because presumably some system
> needed them in the past.

No, it's a historical thing: the Makefile.shlib stuff didn't exist when
pltcl was developed.  I'm not entirely sure why I didn't try to fold
pltcl in with the Makefile.shlib approach when we started doing that.
Possibly I was just thinking "don't fix what ain't broken".  But now
I'd vote for changing over.
        regards, tom lane