Обсуждение: Query cache import?

Query cache import?

От
Alfred Perlstein
Дата:
I never saw much traffic regarding Karel's work on making stored
proceedures:

http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/karel-pgsql.txt

What happened with this?  It looked pretty interesting. :(

How to unsuscribe from this list?

От
mcd@kanjisoft.com (KanjiSoft Systems)
Дата:
Thanks for the info.

Re: Query cache import?

От
Karel Zak
Дата:
On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> I never saw much traffic regarding Karel's work on making stored
> proceedures:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/karel-pgsql.txt
>
> What happened with this?  It looked pretty interesting. :(
It's probably a little about me :-) ... well,
 My query cache is in usable state and it's efficient for all
things those motivate me to work on this.
some basic features:
- share parsed plans between backends in shared memory- store plans to private backend hash table- use parameters for
storedqueries- better design for SPI         - memory usage for saved plans        - save plans "by key"

The current query cache code depend on 7.1 memory management. After
official 7.1 release I prepare patch with query cache+SPI (if not
hit me over head, please ..)
All what will doing next time not depend on me, *it's on code developers*.
For example Jan has interesting idea about caching all plans which
processing backend. But it's far future and IMHO we must go by small
steps to Oracle's funeral :-)
If I need the query cache in the my work (typical for some web+pgsql) or
will some public interest I will continue on this, if not I freeze it.
(Exists more interesting work like http://mape.jcu.cz ... sorry of
advertising :-)
                Karel

Re: Query cache import?

От
KuroiNeko
Дата:
>   My query  cache is in  usable state and  it's efficient for  all things
> those motivate me to work on this.
Well, you know, us application developers are lazy egoists, we want all of
that without efforts on our side :)  In fact, customers do that. They don't
want to pay for both implementing query cache and re-writing applications.I suggest  by your  description that  it
shouldn'tbe  a brain  surgery to

apply your caching to a stable server, so when I'll have a chance to put my
hands on  a busy  discussion forum  next time, it'd  be nice  to give  it a
whirl.

--
contaminated fish and microchips huge supertankers on Arabian tripsoily propaganda from the leaders' lips all about the
futurethere'speople over here, people over there everybody's looking for a little more aircrossing all the borders just

Rainbow, Difficult to Cure

Re: Query cache import?

От
Alfred Perlstein
Дата:
* Karel Zak <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz> [001031 16:18] wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> > I never saw much traffic regarding Karel's work on making stored
> > proceedures:
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/karel-pgsql.txt
> >
> > What happened with this?  It looked pretty interesting. :(
>
>  It's probably a little about me :-) ... well,
>
>   My query cache is in usable state and it's efficient for all
> things those motivate me to work on this.
>
>  some basic features:
>
>     - share parsed plans between backends in shared memory
>     - store plans to private backend hash table
>     - use parameters for stored queries
>     - better design for SPI
>             - memory usage for saved plans
>             - save plans "by key"
>

>  The current query cache code depend on 7.1 memory management. After
> official 7.1 release I prepare patch with query cache+SPI (if not
> hit me over head, please ..)
>
>  All what will doing next time not depend on me, *it's on code developers*.
>
>  For example Jan has interesting idea about caching all plans which
> processing backend. But it's far future and IMHO we must go by small
> steps to Oracle's funeral :-)

Well I'm just hoping that perl's $dbh->prepare() actually does a
temporary stored proceedure so that I can shave cycles off of
my thousands upon thousands of repeated queries. :)

Re: Query cache import?

От
Karel Zak
Дата:
On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Karel Zak <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz> [001031 16:18] wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> >
> >  All what will doing next time not depend on me, *it's on code developers*.                            ^^^^^^^^
              right is "core"

> Well I'm just hoping that perl's $dbh->prepare() actually does a
> temporary stored proceedure so that I can shave cycles off of
> my thousands upon thousands of repeated queries. :)
IMHO implement good cache for planns is not easy, if is wanted
use cached planns in more backend and store it in shared memory. I
wrote for this new memory context type. My idea is not save/share
parsed planns only for PREPARE/EXECUTE statemment but for SPI
(triggers - FK for example) too. It expect support inside backend
and not is possible write it in some application layout (at client).
But it's very good "investment", because query pasring in the PG is
very expensive (all in queries is dynamic). In my tests is execute
for stored planns very faster (90%) for queries that spending more time
in the parser/planner/rewriter.
                        Karel