Обсуждение: time stops within transaction

time stops within transaction

От
Alex Pilosov
Дата:
I just ran into a strangest thing: within transaction, select now() will
always return time when transaction started. Same happens with select
'now'::timestamp.

This is with 7.0. I have not tested it with CVS.

I am not sure what causes this. I assume that result of now() is cached by
fmgr. Is there a way to declare functions 'not-cacheable-ever'? If there
is, such should be applied to now().

-alex

Re: time stops within transaction

Дата:
Wow, that is strange.

> I just ran into a strangest thing: within transaction, select now() will
> always return time when transaction started. Same happens with select
> 'now'::timestamp.
>
> This is with 7.0. I have not tested it with CVS.
>
> I am not sure what causes this. I assume that result of now() is cached by
> fmgr. Is there a way to declare functions 'not-cacheable-ever'? If there
> is, such should be applied to now().
>
> -alex

Pennsylvania19026

Re: time stops within transaction

Дата:
Alex Pilosov <alex@pilosoft.com> writes:
> I just ran into a strangest thing: within transaction, select now() will
> always return time when transaction started.

That is what now() is defined to return: transaction start time.
Perhaps the documentation needs improvement...
        regards, tom lane

Re: time stops within transaction

От
"John Huttley"