Обсуждение: DROP COLUMN status

DROP COLUMN status

Дата:
Can someone comment on where we are with DROP COLUMN?

Pennsylvania19026

RE: DROP COLUMN status

От
"Hiroshi Inoue"
Дата:

I've already committed my trial implementation 3 months ago.
They are $ifdef'd by _DROP_COLUMN_HACK__.
Please enable the feature and evaluate it.
You could enable the feature without initdb.

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue@tpf.co.jp

Re: DROP COLUMN status

Дата:

OK, can you explain how it works, and add any needed documentation so we
can enable it.

Pennsylvania19026

RE: DROP COLUMN status

От
"Hiroshi Inoue"
> [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]

First it's only a trial so I don't implement it completely.
Especially I don't completely drop related objects
(FK_constraint,triggers,views etc). I don't know whether
we could drop them properly or not.

The implementation makes the dropped column invisible by
changing its attnum to -attnum - offset(currently 20) and
attnam to ("*already Dropped%d",attnum). It doesn't touch
the table at all. After dropping a column insert/update
operation regards the column as NULL and other related
stuff simply ignores the column.

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue@tpf.co.jp

Re: DROP COLUMN status

От
Wim Ceulemans
> > [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]

If one would do a dump/restore of the db after dropping a column, is the
column definitely gone then?

Regards
Wim Ceulemans

RE: DROP COLUMN status

От
"Hiroshi Inoue"
Дата:

Yes,if dump/restore means restore from pg_dump. pg_dump wouldn't
see the column definition in my implementation.
Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue@tpf.co.jp

Re: DROP COLUMN status

Дата:
"Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue@tpf.co.jp> writes:
> The implementation makes the dropped column invisible by
> changing its attnum to -attnum - offset(currently 20) and
> attnam to ("*already Dropped%d",attnum).

Ugh.  No wonder you had to hack so many places in such an ugly fashion.
Why not leave the attnum as-is, and just add a bool saying "column is
dropped" to pg_attribute?  As long as the parser ignores columns marked
that way for field lookup and expansion of *, it seems the rest of the
system wouldn't need to treat dropped columns specially in any way.
        regards, tom lane

Re: DROP COLUMN status

Дата:
> "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue@tpf.co.jp> writes:
> > The implementation makes the dropped column invisible by
> > changing its attnum to -attnum - offset(currently 20) and
> > attnam to ("*already Dropped%d",attnum).
>
> Ugh.  No wonder you had to hack so many places in such an ugly fashion.
> Why not leave the attnum as-is, and just add a bool saying "column is
> dropped" to pg_attribute?  As long as the parser ignores columns marked
> that way for field lookup and expansion of *, it seems the rest of the
> system wouldn't need to treat dropped columns specially in any way.

If we leave it as positive, don't we have to change user applications
that query pg_attribute so they also know to skip it?

Pennsylvania19026

RE: DROP COLUMN status

От
"Hiroshi Inoue"
Дата:

First,it's only a trial and I haven't gotten any final consensus.
It has had the following advantages as a trial.

1) It doesn't require initdb.
2) It makes debugging easier. If I've forgotten to change some   places it would cause aborts/asserts in most cases.

Now I love my trial implementation more than that of you
suggests(it was my original idea) because it's more robust
than dropped(invisible) flag implementation. I could hardly
expect that no one would ignore the invisible(dropped) flag
forever.

Anyway I had hidden details behind MACROs mostly so it
wouldn't be so difficult to change the implementation as
you suggests.

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue@tpf.co.jp

Re: DROP COLUMN status

Дата:

>> Ugh.  No wonder you had to hack so many places in such an ugly fashion.
>> Why not leave the attnum as-is, and just add a bool saying "column is
>> dropped" to pg_attribute?  As long as the parser ignores columns marked
>> that way for field lookup and expansion of *, it seems the rest of the
>> system wouldn't need to treat dropped columns specially in any way.

> If we leave it as positive, don't we have to change user applications
> that query pg_attribute so they also know to skip it?

Good point, but I think user applications that query pg_attribute
are likely to have trouble anyway: if they're expecting a consecutive
series of attnums then they're going to lose no matter what.
        regards, tom lane

RE: DROP COLUMN status

От
"Hiroshi Inoue"
> > > The implementation makes the dropped column invisible by
> > > changing its attnum to -attnum - offset(currently 20) and
> > > attnam to ("*already Dropped%d",attnum).
> >
> > Ugh.  No wonder you had to hack so many places in such an ugly fashion.
> > Why not leave the attnum as-is, and just add a bool saying "column is
> > dropped" to pg_attribute?
>
> Anyway I had hidden details behind MACROs mostly so it
> wouldn't be so difficult to change the implementation as
> you suggests.

I'm using the following macros(in pg_attribute.h) in my implementation.
DROP_COLUMN_INDEX() is used only once except pg_attribute.h.
If there are COLUMN_IS_DROPPED() macros,doesn't it mean that
they should be changed at any rate ?

#ifdef  _DROP_COLUMN_HACK__
/**      CONSTANT and MACROS for DROP COLUMN implementation*/
#define DROP_COLUMN_OFFSET      -20
#define COLUMN_IS_DROPPED(attribute)    ((attribute)->attnum <=
DROP_COLUMN_OFFS
ET)
#define DROPPED_COLUMN_INDEX(attidx)    (DROP_COLUMN_OFFSET - attidx)
#define ATTRIBUTE_DROP_COLUMN(attribute) \       Assert((attribute)->attnum > 0); \       (attribute)->attnum =
DROPPED_COLUMN_INDEX((attribute)->attnum);\       (attribute)->atttypid = (Oid) -1; \       (attribute)->attnotnull =
false;\       (attribute)->atthasdef = false;

#endif   /* _DROP_COLUMN_HACK__ */

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue@tpf.co.jp