Обсуждение: Re: [HACKERS] [hackers]development suggestion needed (filepath as symlink)

Re: [HACKERS] [hackers]development suggestion needed (filepath as symlink)

От
Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Дата:
> Yes, that's about the sum of it.  Why not the links?  I think
> that it's an elegant way of designing the whole thing.

The only problem with symlinks is, that it does not solve the
"too many files in one directory to give optimal performance"
problem for those that have tons of tables.

Andreas

Re: [HACKERS] [hackers]development suggestion needed (filepath as symlink)

Дата:
> > Yes, that's about the sum of it.  Why not the links?  I think
> > that it's an elegant way of designing the whole thing.
>
> The only problem with symlinks is, that it does not solve the
> "too many files in one directory to give optimal performance"
> problem for those that have tons of tables.
>
> Andreas

Is that really a problem on modern operating systems?  We could actually
hash the file names into directory buckets and access them that way, and
have one directory that old symlinks to the hashed files.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] [hackers]development suggestion needed (filepath as symlink)

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Yes, that's about the sum of it.  Why not the links?  I think
> > > that it's an elegant way of designing the whole thing.
> >
> > The only problem with symlinks is, that it does not solve the
> > "too many files in one directory to give optimal performance"
> > problem for those that have tons of tables.
> >
> > Andreas
>
> Is that really a problem on modern operating systems?  We could actually
> hash the file names into directory buckets and access them that way, and
> have one directory that old symlinks to the hashed files.

Personally, except in *exceptional* circumstances, I hate symlinks...that
was one of my first projects whenI started working at th eocal University,
was to get rid of the garbage "revision control" system they had for
packages installed on the system ...

IMHO, there have been several methods of doing this, some easier then
others, wihtout having to use symlinks for them ... can we *please* avoid
using them?

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] [hackers]development suggestion needed (filepath as symlink)

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> > > Yes, that's about the sum of it.  Why not the links?  I think
> > > that it's an elegant way of designing the whole thing.
> > The only problem with symlinks is, that it does not solve the
> > "too many files in one directory to give optimal performance"
> > problem for those that have tons of tables.
> Is that really a problem on modern operating systems?  We could actually
> hash the file names into directory buckets and access them that way, and
> have one directory that old symlinks to the hashed files.

imho symlinks is exactly the wrong way to head on this. If the system
needs to know the true location of something, then it may as well
refer to that location explicitly. Our storage manager should learn
how to deal with explicit locations, and we shouldn't implement this
just as a patch on the table creation code.

My $.02...
                  - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] [hackers]development suggestion needed (filepath as symlink)

Дата:
> > > The only problem with symlinks is, that it does not solve the
> > > "too many files in one directory to give optimal performance"
> > > problem for those that have tons of tables.
> > Is that really a problem on modern operating systems?  We could actually
> > hash the file names into directory buckets and access them that way, and
> > have one directory that old symlinks to the hashed files.
>
> imho symlinks is exactly the wrong way to head on this. If the system
> needs to know the true location of something, then it may as well
> refer to that location explicitly. Our storage manager should learn
> how to deal with explicit locations, and we shouldn't implement this
> just as a patch on the table creation code.

OK, no symlinks.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] [hackers]development suggestion needed (filepath as symlink)

От
Don Baccus
Дата:
At 02:26 AM 1/19/00 +0000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

>imho symlinks is exactly the wrong way to head on this. If the system
>needs to know the true location of something, then it may as well
>refer to that location explicitly. Our storage manager should learn
>how to deal with explicit locations, and we shouldn't implement this
>just as a patch on the table creation code.

That's my feeling too.

We could document the query needed to list where all tables
are located, grouped by tablespace.