Re: [HACKERS] [hackers]development suggestion needed (filepath as symlink)

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [HACKERS] [hackers]development suggestion needed (filepath as symlink)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Yes, that's about the sum of it.  Why not the links?  I think
> > > that it's an elegant way of designing the whole thing.
> >
> > The only problem with symlinks is, that it does not solve the
> > "too many files in one directory to give optimal performance"
> > problem for those that have tons of tables.
> >
> > Andreas
>
> Is that really a problem on modern operating systems?  We could actually
> hash the file names into directory buckets and access them that way, and
> have one directory that old symlinks to the hashed files.

Personally, except in *exceptional* circumstances, I hate symlinks...that
was one of my first projects whenI started working at th eocal University,
was to get rid of the garbage "revision control" system they had for
packages installed on the system ...

IMHO, there have been several methods of doing this, some easier then
others, wihtout having to use symlinks for them ... can we *please* avoid
using them?

Systems Administrator @ hub.org