Обсуждение: postgres Web problem

postgres Web problem

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
Hi,

I'm a little bit confused with http://www.postgresql.org

1. Netscape 3.04 totally unusable to browse postgres site -   I see only text of javascript
2. Lynx works better, but still when select "Info Central" I see nothing !

Also, don't forget ALT="" for inline images (not href's) - documents
will look much better in Lynx or browser with images disabled.

┘I understand that most users move touse  new browsers but it's good
tradition (not Microsoft) to support (if possible) old browsers.
Regards,
    Oleg

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: [HACKERS] postgres Web problem

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a little bit confused with http://www.postgresql.org

Try going to:  http://www.postgresql.org/index.html to make sure you're
not getting a mirror.  This is the first problem I've heard like you
describe.  If all works well we'll need to determine which mirror that's
having problems.

Vince.

Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:37:14 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
> To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su>
> Cc: pgsql-hackers@postgreSQL.org
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] postgres Web problem
>
> On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm a little bit confused with http://www.postgresql.org
>
> Try going to:  http://www.postgresql.org/index.html to make sure you're
> not getting a mirror.  This is the first problem I've heard like you
> describe.  If all works well we'll need to determine which mirror that's
> having problems.
>
> Vince.

Huh, sorry, this is my mirror :-) Original site works fine. Shame.
What do I need to configure ? http://www.sai.msu.su:8000/
But, just reloaded and everything looks ok. Weird.
No idea.
  Regards,Oleg

> > 1. Netscape 3.04 totally unusable to browse postgres site -
> >    I see only text of javascript
> > 2. Lynx works better, but still when select "Info Central" I see nothing !
> >
> > Also, don't forget ALT="" for inline images (not href's) - documents
> > will look much better in Lynx or browser with images disabled.
> >
> > ┘I understand that most users move touse  new browsers but it's good
> > tradition (not Microsoft) to support (if possible) old browsers.
> >
> >     Regards,
> >
> >         Oleg

> > Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> > Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> > Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> > phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

> Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
>        # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2
>         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
>        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: [HACKERS] postgres Web problem

От
Vince Vielhaber
On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>
> > Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:37:14 -0400 (EDT)
> > From: Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
> > To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su>
> > Cc: pgsql-hackers@postgreSQL.org
> > Subject: Re: [HACKERS] postgres Web problem
> >
> > On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm a little bit confused with http://www.postgresql.org
> >
> > Try going to:  http://www.postgresql.org/index.html to make sure you're
> > not getting a mirror.  This is the first problem I've heard like you
> > describe.  If all works well we'll need to determine which mirror that's
> > having problems.
> >
> > Vince.
> >

> Huh, sorry, this is my mirror :-) Original site works fine. Shame.
> What do I need to configure ? http://www.sai.msu.su:8000/
> But, just reloaded and everything looks ok. Weird.
> No idea.

Seems ok from here.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

RE: [HACKERS] postgres Web problem

От
Dmitry Samersoff
Дата:
On 26-Jul-99 Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a little bit confused with http://www.postgresql.org
>
> 1. Netscape 3.04 totally unusable to browse postgres site -
>    I see only text of javascript
  It's well known bug in NS 3.x.
All  <script><!----------  ...... //------></script>
need to be commented exactly like example above (ie without spaces andline breaks> and must be placed inside <HEAD>
</HEAD>

---
Dmitry Samersoff, dms@wplus.net, ICQ:3161705
http://devnull.wplus.net
* There will come soft rains ...

Re: [HACKERS] postgres Web problem

От
Louis Bertrand
Дата:
Using Netscape 4.07 from Win95. index.html is alright but I get some
garbage in the top left hand corner of the info central page (left of the
main elephant, above the frames tree). It seems OK with IE4.

http://www.postgresql.org/doxlist.html:
<!--- /* We dont
perform mouse
actions on IE3.x &
NS 2.x */ function
msOn() { } function

Ciao--Louis  <louis@bertrandtech.on.ca>

Louis Bertrand       http://www.bertrandtech.on.ca
Bertrand Technical Services, Bowmanville, ON, Canada

OpenBSD: Secure by default.  http://www.openbsd.org/

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm a little bit confused with http://www.postgresql.org
>
> Try going to:  http://www.postgresql.org/index.html to make sure you're
> not getting a mirror.  This is the first problem I've heard like you
> describe.  If all works well we'll need to determine which mirror that's
> having problems.
>
> Vince.
>

> > 1. Netscape 3.04 totally unusable to browse postgres site -
> >    I see only text of javascript
> > 2. Lynx works better, but still when select "Info Central" I see nothing !
> >
> > Also, don't forget ALT="" for inline images (not href's) - documents
> > will look much better in Lynx or browser with images disabled.
> >
> > �I understand that most users move touse  new browsers but it's good
> > tradition (not Microsoft) to support (if possible) old browsers.
> >
> >     Regards,
> >
> >         Oleg

> > Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> > Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> > Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> > phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

> Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
>        # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2
>         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
>        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: [HACKERS] postgres Web problem

От
Adam Haberlach
Дата:
On Mon, Jul 26, 1999 at 09:37:14AM -0400, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm a little bit confused with http://www.postgresql.org
>
> Try going to:  http://www.postgresql.org/index.html to make sure you're
> not getting a mirror.  This is the first problem I've heard like you
> describe.  If all works well we'll need to determine which mirror that's
> having problems.

As long as we're complaining about browsers...

Using NetPositive under BeOS I get the various buttons seperated and
skewed.  I'll look into it and see if I can figure out exactly what
is wrong, but there could be a strange table in there.

Re: [HACKERS] postgres Web problem

От
Dmitry Samersoff
Дата:
On 26-Jul-99 Louis Bertrand wrote:
> Using Netscape 4.07 from Win95. index.html is alright but I get some
> garbage in the top left hand corner of the info central page (left of the
> main elephant, above the frames tree). It seems OK with IE4.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/doxlist.html:
> <!--- /* We dont
> perform mouse
> actions on IE3.x &
> NS 2.x */ function
> msOn() { } function
>
> Ciao
>  --Louis  <louis@bertrandtech.on.ca>

Unfortunately, I can't find computer near around to install IE4
and so I'm unable to fix coverpage.
This problem, IMHO, waits for MS IEx for FreeBSD ;-)) or
somebody familar with MSIE.

---
Dmitry Samersoff, dms@wplus.net, ICQ:3161705
http://devnull.wplus.net
* There will come soft rains ...

Re: [HACKERS] postgres Web problem

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Louis Bertrand wrote:

> Using Netscape 4.07 from Win95. index.html is alright but I get some
> garbage in the top left hand corner of the info central page (left of the
> main elephant, above the frames tree). It seems OK with IE4.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/doxlist.html:
> <!--- /* We dont

Yeah, the <!--- is a comment, but the older netscapes showed it anyway
in some cases.  Is this the only place you see it?

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: [HACKERS] postgres Web problem

Дата:
Louis Bertrand <louis@bertrandtech.on.ca> writes:
> Using Netscape 4.07 from Win95. index.html is alright but I get some
> garbage in the top left hand corner of the info central page (left of the
> main elephant, above the frames tree). It seems OK with IE4.

> <!--- /* We dont
> perform mouse
> actions on IE3.x &
> NS 2.x */ function
> msOn() { } function

Yeah, I've been seeing the same with Netscape 4.08 (HPUX build) for
some time... quoting problem, likely ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] postgres Web problem

От
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo
Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> > <!--- /* We dont
> > perform mouse
> > actions on IE3.x &
> > NS 2.x */ function
> > msOn() { } function
>
> Yeah, I've been seeing the same with Netscape 4.08 (HPUX build) for
> some time... quoting problem, likely ...

Well, the HTML source for that FRAME is erroneous, as is normal on the
web these days, but it's not that.  My guess is you've turned off the
javascript misfeature, which, possibly combined with the HTML errors
and/or the no less than four comment conventions used in that little
snippet of code, is confusing Netscape.

Incidentally, in the RDBMS comparison chart (whose URL I can't quote,
because of the FRAME stuff), PostgreSQL is shown as lacking row level
locking.  Change to "supported" and add a footnote, someone?

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"

Re: [HACKERS] postgres Web problem

Дата:
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@Norway.EU.net> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> Yeah, I've been seeing the same with Netscape 4.08 (HPUX build) for
>> some time... quoting problem, likely ...

> Well, the HTML source for that FRAME is erroneous, as is normal on the
> web these days, but it's not that.  My guess is you've turned off the
> javascript misfeature,

Good guess.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] postgres Web problem

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On 27 Jul 1999, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:

> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>
> > > <!--- /* We dont
> > > perform mouse
> > > actions on IE3.x &
> > > NS 2.x */ function
> > > msOn() { } function
> >
> > Yeah, I've been seeing the same with Netscape 4.08 (HPUX build) for
> > some time... quoting problem, likely ...
>
> Well, the HTML source for that FRAME is erroneous, as is normal on the
> web these days, but it's not that.  My guess is you've turned off the
> javascript misfeature, which, possibly combined with the HTML errors
> and/or the no less than four comment conventions used in that little
> snippet of code, is confusing Netscape.
>
> Incidentally, in the RDBMS comparison chart (whose URL I can't quote,
> because of the FRAME stuff), PostgreSQL is shown as lacking row level
> locking.  Change to "supported" and add a footnote, someone?

The comparison is still for 6.4.2, it needs to be updated.

Vince.