Обсуждение: RE: [GENERAL] Benchmarking PGSQL against Microsoft SQL 7.0?

RE: [GENERAL] Benchmarking PGSQL against Microsoft SQL 7.0?

От
"Jackson, DeJuan"
Дата:
There has been a discussion in the HACKERS list (check the archives on
the website
[http:\\www.postgresql.org\]) about PostgreSQL vs MS SQL 6.5 for the
last 2 days or so.
I think these ideas must come in threes, so where is that other person?

I can't really give a feature comparison of MS SQL 7.0 as I've never
used it. as for a benchmarking, although it is out of date, check
http://www.tcx.se/benchmark.html.  There is no direct comparison of
PostgreSQL and MS SQL but it might give you some idea of something (hey
I can't make heads or tails of it all, but remember a smaller bar is
better).
Oh well, hope this helps somebody somehow,
    -DEJ

Re: [HACKERS] RE: [GENERAL] Benchmarking PGSQL against Microsoft SQL 7.0?

От
Tom
Дата:
On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Jackson, DeJuan wrote:

> I can't really give a feature comparison of MS SQL 7.0 as I've never
> used it. as for a benchmarking, although it is out of date, check
> http://www.tcx.se/benchmark.html.  There is no direct comparison of
> PostgreSQL and MS SQL but it might give you some idea of something (hey
> I can't make heads or tails of it all, but remember a smaller bar is
> better).
> Oh well, hope this helps somebody somehow,
>     -DEJ

  There appear to be significant benchmarking hurdles with MS SQL 7.0
Hasn't everybody seen Oracle's million dollar challenge to Microsoft?  It
is somewhere on www.oracle.com  Basically, if you can publish benchmark
results that show Oracle less than X times (was it 90 times?) faster than
MS SQL, Oracle would give you a million bucks.  The trick here is that the
licence agreements for many DBMS prohibit the publishing of benchmarks!
Either that, or Oracle really is 90 times faster than MS SQL!

Tom

RE: [GENERAL] Benchmarking PGSQL against Microsoft SQL 7

Дата:
> There has been a discussion in the HACKERS list (check the archives on
> the website
> [http:\\www.postgresql.org\]) about PostgreSQL vs MS SQL 6.5 for the
> last 2 days or so.
> I think these ideas must come in threes, so where is that other person?
>
> I can't really give a feature comparison of MS SQL 7.0 as I've never
> used it. as for a benchmarking, although it is out of date, check
> http://www.tcx.se/benchmark.html.  There is no direct comparison of
> PostgreSQL and MS SQL but it might give you some idea of something (hey
> I can't make heads or tails of it all, but remember a smaller bar is
> better).
> Oh well, hope this helps somebody somehow,
>     -DEJ

This was hard to find, given the subject line, so here it is:

RE: [HACKERS] ["G. Jayson Stangel" <jayson@biztown.com>] Questions?