Обсуждение: [Fwd: catalog files]

[Fwd: catalog files]

От
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Дата:
(taken on-list so this is indexed in mhonarc)

> Looking thru the freebsd sgml primer, they specify that
> SGML_CATALOG_FILES needs to be set.
> I find this to be true if I want to use PSGML mode in
> emacs, and if I want to run nsgmls when validating within emacs,
> otherwise it can't find the proper rules for parsing.
>
> Anyway the locations for the catalog files as per the primer:
> /usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/3.0/catalog
> /usr/local/share/sgml/html/catalog
> /usr/local/share/sgml/iso8879/catalog
> /usr/local/share/sgml/jade/catalog

Bingo. I can build docs on postgresql.org (a FreeBSD machine) using the
FreeBSD packages of the tools if I set an environment variable,
specifying these four paths delimited with colons:

setenv SGML_CATALOG_FILES
'/usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/3.0/catalog:...'

On my linux/rpm machine, I don't need to set this environment variable
at all (except for emacs parsing) since jade was built with the correct
default route to catalogs. Don't know why FreeBSD does not do this;
perhaps this should be written up as a "feature deficit" or bug?
                      - Tom

RE: [Fwd: catalog files]

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On 15-Dec-98 Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> (taken on-list so this is indexed in mhonarc)
>
>> Looking thru the freebsd sgml primer, they specify that
>> SGML_CATALOG_FILES needs to be set.
>> I find this to be true if I want to use PSGML mode in
>> emacs, and if I want to run nsgmls when validating within emacs,
>> otherwise it can't find the proper rules for parsing.
>>
>> Anyway the locations for the catalog files as per the primer:
>> /usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/3.0/catalog
>> /usr/local/share/sgml/html/catalog
>> /usr/local/share/sgml/iso8879/catalog
>> /usr/local/share/sgml/jade/catalog
>
> Bingo. I can build docs on postgresql.org (a FreeBSD machine) using the
> FreeBSD packages of the tools if I set an environment variable,
> specifying these four paths delimited with colons:
>
> setenv SGML_CATALOG_FILES
> '/usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/3.0/catalog:...'
>
> On my linux/rpm machine, I don't need to set this environment variable
> at all (except for emacs parsing) since jade was built with the correct
> default route to catalogs. Don't know why FreeBSD does not do this;
> perhaps this should be written up as a "feature deficit" or bug?
>
>                        - Tom

I'm building most of 'em anyway.  I'm getting this after it successfully
builds admin, postgres and programmer:

jade -D ref -D ../graphics -V %use-id-as-filename% -d
/home/vev/db124/docbook/html/docbook.dsl -t sgml tutorial.sgml
jade:intro.sgml:71:1:E: general entity "history" not defined and no default
entity
jade:intro.sgml:73:1:E: general entity "about" not defined and no default
entity
jade:intro.sgml:75:1:E: general entity "info" not defined and no default
entity
jade:intro.sgml:77:1:E: general entity "notation" not defined and no default
entity
jade:intro.sgml:79:1:E: general entity "y2k" not defined and no default entity
jade:intro.sgml:81:1:E: general entity "legal" not defined and no default
entity
jade:start.sgml:229:26:X: reference to non-existent ID "LIBPQ"
jade:start.sgml:229:42:X: reference to non-existent ID "LIBPQ"
jade:/home/vev/db124/docbook/html/dblink.dsl:184:1:E: XRef LinkEnd to missing
ID 'LIBPQ'
gmake[2]: *** [tutorial.html] Error 1

One more thing I'm missing maybe?

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2  Online Searchable Campground Listings    http://www.camping-usa.com      "There is no outfit less
entitledto lecture me about bloat              than the federal government"  -- Tony Snow

Re: [HACKERS] RE: [Fwd: catalog files]

От
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Дата:
> I'm building most of 'em anyway.  I'm getting this after it
> successfully builds admin, postgres and programmer:
<snip>
> One more thing I'm missing maybe?

Not at all. I get the same thing :)

I did not rebuild the tutorial for the last release, but had
restructured the generic introduction used in several docs to separate
out the legaleze, etc. tutorial.sgml is just missing a few definitions
for those entities...

fwiw, if you build postgres.html you will find all the information from
all the other standalone documents. I did that because in the html
format it is nice to be able to click around all of the info, rather
than having to open another document.

So, we have FreeBSD nailed for building documents. Vince, can you jot
down some notes on exactly what you did to get things working? There is
a section in docguide.sgml (Appendix A in postgres.html) which discusses
installing tools, and the only two methods described so far are linux
rpm and from-sources.

Also, if anyone has tried installing a relatively fresh sgml-tools
package, it would be great to write up that one too. btw, the sgml-tools
folks have taken over the Unix-side issues for jade, which was always a
troublesome spot.
                  - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] RE: [Fwd: catalog files]

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On 15-Dec-98 Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> So, we have FreeBSD nailed for building documents. Vince, can you jot
> down some notes on exactly what you did to get things working? There is
> a section in docguide.sgml (Appendix A in postgres.html) which discusses
> installing tools, and the only two methods described so far are linux
> rpm and from-sources.

Workin on it now.