Обсуждение: Re: [HACKERS] Features list

Re: [HACKERS] Features list

От
darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
Дата:
Thus spake Bruce Momjian
> > I didn't notice anything about primary keys.  Not sure if you want
> > to mention it since it is incomplete but it is an enhancement over
> > 6.3.  I just sent docs to Tom explaining how to utilize it as is.
>
> I don't know anything about it.  Give me a one-liner.

Hmmm.  How about this?

Facility (incomplete) for tracking primary keys.  To be fully implemented
in the next release but see [wherever explanation goes] for information
on how to use it now.

Not a one liner though.   Hmmm...

Catalogue support for primary keys.

Maybe?

Perhaps others can help.  I'll copy the list on this message.

Re: [HACKERS] Features list

Дата:
> Thus spake Bruce Momjian
> > > I didn't notice anything about primary keys.  Not sure if you want
> > > to mention it since it is incomplete but it is an enhancement over
> > > 6.3.  I just sent docs to Tom explaining how to utilize it as is.
> >
> > I don't know anything about it.  Give me a one-liner.
>
> Hmmm.  How about this?
>
> Facility (incomplete) for tracking primary keys.  To be fully implemented
> in the next release but see [wherever explanation goes] for information
> on how to use it now.
>
> Not a one liner though.   Hmmm...
>
> Catalogue support for primary keys.
>
> Maybe?
>
> Perhaps others can help.  I'll copy the list on this message.

When someone uses PRIMARY in table creation, why don't we just plop
something in the field?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Features list

От
darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
Дата:
Thus spake Bruce Momjian
> When someone uses PRIMARY in table creation, why don't we just plop
> something in the field?

Well, that would be the "completion" of the facility.  Also, we should
fill in the proper values in the system catalogues.  The latter is probably
easy but the former rewuires mucking with the table creation code.  I don't
think it is a lot of work but perhaps not something to start now.

In any case, we're past the freeze, right?

Re: [HACKERS] Features list

Дата:
> Thus spake Bruce Momjian
> > When someone uses PRIMARY in table creation, why don't we just plop
> > something in the field?
>
> Well, that would be the "completion" of the facility.  Also, we should
> fill in the proper values in the system catalogues.  The latter is probably
> easy but the former rewuires mucking with the table creation code.  I don't
> think it is a lot of work but perhaps not something to start now.
>
> In any case, we're past the freeze, right?

I hesitate to add a mention that we have a field for primary key, while
we do nothing with it.

This was brought up, but post-freeze, and since it was totally new,
could not be added.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Features list

От
jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)

> > Thus spake Bruce Momjian
> > > When someone uses PRIMARY in table creation, why don't we just plop
> > > something in the field?
> >
> > Well, that would be the "completion" of the facility.  Also, we should
> > fill in the proper values in the system catalogues.  The latter is probably
> > easy but the former rewuires mucking with the table creation code.  I don't
> > think it is a lot of work but perhaps not something to start now.
> >
> > In any case, we're past the freeze, right?
>
> I hesitate to add a mention that we have a field for primary key, while
> we do nothing with it.
>
> This was brought up, but post-freeze, and since it was totally new,
> could not be added.

    I've  seen  the  relfkeys  too and have something in mind for
    FOREIGN KEY for 6.5. 6.5 will be the  comeback  of  attribute
    rules  and  I  think  that  foreign  key  checks and the like
    (including ON DELETE CASCADE)  could  get  implemented  using
    rules.

    Let's pick it up after 6.4 is out.

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] Features list

Дата:
>     I've  seen  the  relfkeys  too and have something in mind for
>     FOREIGN KEY for 6.5. 6.5 will be the  comeback  of  attribute
>     rules  and  I  think  that  foreign  key  checks and the like
>     (including ON DELETE CASCADE)  could  get  implemented  using
>     rules.
>
>     Let's pick it up after 6.4 is out.

That is a temping way to do foreign keys.  Nice.

Pennsylvania19026