Обсуждение: NT port of PGSQL - success

NT port of PGSQL - success

От
Horak Daniel
Дата:
Hi,

I have successeed in porting PostgreSQL to Win NT. The patch that is
included is for development version from Sep 15, but I think that the
changes are version independent. The main difference from other port is
the renamed system table pg_version (vs. PG_VERSION) to pg_ver - Windows
file names are case insensitive :-) So this should be solved on a global
level perhaps in main sources. And also the communication through
AF_UNIX sockets is disabled. There are only two other changes:
- added some flag while opening directory with open() syscall
- changed flags for file descriptor in function pq_init()
and that's all :-)

the steps ;-) are:
do the steps that Joost wrote some time ago
patch <pgsql.diff (maybe by hand for newer versions of PostgreSQL)
make
make install
initdb
postmaster -i

I was able to run postmaster and two concurrent psql connections
yesterday. I will run the test later.

                    Dan Horak

PS: where are you, Joost? the email for you is returning to me

Вложения

Re: [HACKERS] NT port of PGSQL - success

Дата:
> Hi,
>
> I have successeed in porting PostgreSQL to Win NT. The patch that is
> included is for development version from Sep 15, but I think that the
> changes are version independent. The main difference from other port is
> the renamed system table pg_version (vs. PG_VERSION) to pg_ver - Windows

I thought Windows allowed any case, so you could open a file with
"PG_VERSION" or "pg_version" and it will open any file of any matching
case.

> file names are case insensitive :-) So this should be solved on a global
> level perhaps in main sources. And also the communication through
> AF_UNIX sockets is disabled. There are only two other changes:
> - added some flag while opening directory with open() syscall
> - changed flags for file descriptor in function pq_init()
> and that's all :-)
>
> the steps ;-) are:
> do the steps that Joost wrote some time ago
> patch <pgsql.diff (maybe by hand for newer versions of PostgreSQL)
> make
> make install
> initdb
> postmaster -i
>
> I was able to run postmaster and two concurrent psql connections
> yesterday. I will run the test later.

This is amazing.  You can actually run SQL statements on NT.

What would you like done with this patch?  Should it merged into the
tree, or just used for people testing things on NT, and later merged in
as you feel more comfortable?  You can make a 6.4 final patch, perhaps.

Re: [HACKERS] NT port of PGSQL - success

Дата:
> Hi,
>
> I have successeed in porting PostgreSQL to Win NT. The patch that is
> included is for development version from Sep 15, but I think that the
> changes are version independent. The main difference from other port is
> the renamed system table pg_version (vs. PG_VERSION) to pg_ver - Windows
> file names are case insensitive :-) So this should be solved on a global
> level perhaps in main sources. And also the communication through
> AF_UNIX sockets is disabled. There are only two other changes:
> - added some flag while opening directory with open() syscall
> - changed flags for file descriptor in function pq_init()
> and that's all :-)

I have removed the data/base/*/pg_version file because it was never
used.  We had removed the 'version' functions long ago, but
include/catalog/pg_version.h was still being processed by genbki.sh.  No
longer.  backend/command/version.c is also no longer compiled.

This should make your table changes unnecessary.

Re: [HACKERS] version functions (was NT port of PGSQL - success)

От
"Justin Hickey"
Дата:
Hello Bruce

On Oct 8,  5:40pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have removed the data/base/*/pg_version file because it was never
> used.  We had removed the 'version' functions long ago, but
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Does this mean that the following from the FAQ is wrong?

    3.25) How do I tell what PostgreSQL version I am running?

    From psql, type select version();

If so then this question should probably be changed to point users to the
PG_VERSION file.

Just a thought

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey@hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center
Bangkok, Thailand
of us who do.  ---Anonymous

Jazz and Trek Rule!!!

Re: [HACKERS] version functions (was NT port of PGSQL - success)

Дата:
> Hello Bruce
>
> On Oct 8,  5:40pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I have removed the data/base/*/pg_version file because it was never
> > used.  We had removed the 'version' functions long ago, but
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Does this mean that the following from the FAQ is wrong?
>
>     3.25) How do I tell what PostgreSQL version I am running?
>
>     From psql, type select version();
>
> If so then this question should probably be changed to point users to the
> PG_VERSION file.

No, the version command was removed.  I should not have said version
function.  select version() works just as always.

jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Jazzman wrote:

> Hello Bruce
>
> On Oct 8,  5:40pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I have removed the data/base/*/pg_version file because it was never
> > used.  We had removed the 'version' functions long ago, but
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Does this mean that the following from the FAQ is wrong?
>
>    3.25) How do I tell what PostgreSQL version I am running?
>
>    From psql, type select version();
>
> If so then this question should probably be changed to point users to the
> PG_VERSION file.

    No, it is still correct. The version function is there and it
    returns the compiled in string from version.h.

    But take a look at version.c please. I think  it  should  use
    memcpy()  or  strncpy()  instead of strcpy(). As it is now it
    writes the null byte after the palloc'ed area.

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] version functions (was NT port of PGSQL - success)

Дата:
>     No, it is still correct. The version function is there and it
>     returns the compiled in string from version.h.
>
>     But take a look at version.c please. I think  it  should  use
>     memcpy()  or  strncpy()  instead of strcpy(). As it is now it
>     writes the null byte after the palloc'ed area.

Yes, thanks.  Fixed using StrNCpy().