Обсуждение: Re: [HACKERS] Rule plan size for views?

Re: [HACKERS] Rule plan size for views?

От
darrenk@insightdist.com (Darren King)

> What is the rule size for views?
>
> This seems to have changed in this beta; I have a view that worked in a
> previous beta but fails to create.
> "ERROR: DefineQueryRewrite: rule plan string too big."
>
> I have about 33 column headings with a join of 5 tables.
>
> I have the latest cvsup tree as of a few minutes ago.
> Linux 2.0.30
> pgcc compiler

The rule plan is stored as a tuple, hence for this release that limit
is a little under 8k.

For 6.4, you will be able to use a bigger block size, therefore have
bigger tuples and this should then work again.

Sounds like the plan internally grew (possible w/subselect stuff?!?) and
has gone over that 8k limit.

I know it's little consolation, but as soon as I can get the variable
block size working (actually only breaks in the create_triggers regression
test when sorting to disk), I could post it as a patch for 6.3 as well as
put it into the 6.4 tree.

darrenk

Re: [HACKERS] Rule plan size for views?

От
"Michael J. Rogan"
Дата:
darrenk

So when I do it as a select statement the plan can grow larger than 8K
because I can run the SQL command itself.

Has the plan generation changed in the last week?  I was able to create
another view in an earlier beta but cannot now.

Is there a way to find out the size of the plan?

Michael

> > What is the rule size for views?
> >
> > This seems to have changed in this beta; I have a view that worked in a
> > previous beta but fails to create.
> > "ERROR: DefineQueryRewrite: rule plan string too big."
> >
> > I have about 33 column headings with a join of 5 tables.
> >
> > I have the latest cvsup tree as of a few minutes ago.
> > Linux 2.0.30
> > pgcc compiler
>
> The rule plan is stored as a tuple, hence for this release that limit
> is a little under 8k.
>
> For 6.4, you will be able to use a bigger block size, therefore have
> bigger tuples and this should then work again.
>
> Sounds like the plan internally grew (possible w/subselect stuff?!?) and
> has gone over that 8k limit.
>
> I know it's little consolation, but as soon as I can get the variable
> block size working (actually only breaks in the create_triggers regression
> test when sorting to disk), I could post it as a patch for 6.3 as well as
> put it into the 6.4 tree.
>
> darrenk

* Michael J. Rogan,  Network Administrator,   905-624-3020 *
* Mark IV Industries, F-P Electronics & I.V.H.S. Divisions *
* mrogan@fpelectronics.com                 mrogan@ivhs.com *

Re: [HACKERS] Rule plan size for views?

Дата:
> Sounds like the plan internally grew (possible w/subselect stuff?!?) and
> has gone over that 8k limit.
>
> I know it's little consolation, but as soon as I can get the variable
> block size working (actually only breaks in the create_triggers regression
> test when sorting to disk), I could post it as a patch for 6.3 as well as
> put it into the 6.4 tree.

Some structure members were skipped in the dump, but now they are
included.

jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)

> > What is the rule size for views?
> >
> > This seems to have changed in this beta; I have a view that worked in a
> > previous beta but fails to create.
> > "ERROR: DefineQueryRewrite: rule plan string too big."
> >
> > I have about 33 column headings with a join of 5 tables.
> >
> > I have the latest cvsup tree as of a few minutes ago.
> > Linux 2.0.30
> > pgcc compiler
>
> The rule plan is stored as a tuple, hence for this release that limit
> is a little under 8k.
>
> For 6.4, you will be able to use a bigger block size, therefore have
> bigger tuples and this should then work again.
>
> Sounds like the plan internally grew (possible w/subselect stuff?!?) and
> has gone over that 8k limit.

    I think it must be due to the cleanups in the node-print and
    read funcs. They now output/read ALL fields in the nodes.

> I know it's little consolation, but as soon as I can get the variable
> block size working (actually only breaks in the create_triggers regression
> test when sorting to disk), I could post it as a patch for 6.3 as well as
> put it into the 6.4 tree.
>
> darrenk

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] Rule plan size for views?

От
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Дата:
> > Sounds like the plan internally grew (possible w/subselect stuff?!?) and
> > has gone over that 8k limit.
>
>     I think it must be due to the cleanups in the node-print and
>     read funcs. They now output/read ALL fields in the nodes.

Oh, I didn't realize that the print functions were actually used for something
other than printing and debugging. I had started to add a few new nodes when I
was trying to debug the "primary key" code.

Should we go through and bracket some of those with #ifdef QUERYDEBUG or
something like that? Where are they actually used? Should we try to keep these
at a minimum for production compiles of the system??

                                           - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] Rule plan size for views?

> > > Sounds like the plan internally grew (possible w/subselect stuff?!?) and
> > > has gone over that 8k limit.
> >
> >     I think it must be due to the cleanups in the node-print and
> >     read funcs. They now output/read ALL fields in the nodes.
>
> Oh, I didn't realize that the print functions were actually used for something
> other than printing and debugging. I had started to add a few new nodes when I
> was trying to debug the "primary key" code.
>
> Should we go through and bracket some of those with #ifdef QUERYDEBUG or
> something like that? Where are they actually used? Should we try to keep these
> at a minimum for production compiles of the system??

Did you add stuff to dump that wasn't dumped before, or were they fields
of existing structure that used to be skipped?

They are used for the rewrite system and for views.

Re: [HACKERS] Rule plan size for views?

От
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Дата:

> > >     I think it must be due to the cleanups in the node-print and
> > >     read funcs. They now output/read ALL fields in the nodes.
> >
> > Oh, I didn't realize that the print functions were actually used for something
> > other than printing and debugging. I had started to add a few new nodes when I
> > was trying to debug the "primary key" code.
> >
> > Should we go through and bracket some of those with #ifdef QUERYDEBUG or
> > something like that? Where are they actually used? Should we try to keep these
> > at a minimum for production compiles of the system??
>
> Did you add stuff to dump that wasn't dumped before, or were they fields
> of existing structure that used to be skipped?
>
> They are used for the rewrite system and for views.

I added a few nodes (maybe two?), _and_ added some call-outs to existing nodes to
follow their children down. This stuff can be bracketed with debugging #ifdef's; it
was very helpful for me when debugging but it isn't good if they are adding
unnecessary limitations on sizes. The additional nodes I added are a "don't care";
it's the additional printing of child nodes (fields of existing structures) which
is loading things down.

I am not absolutely certain that we are talking about the same thing, so should
confirm that it is the same routines which are causing trouble; this is the same
printing/formatting code used for "explain"??

I'd be happy to help clean them up, but I think you should help too; as I recall we
were both mucking around there about the same time ;)

                                                              - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] Rule plan size for views?

Дата:
> I added a few nodes (maybe two?), _and_ added some call-outs to existing nodes to
> follow their children down. This stuff can be bracketed with debugging #ifdef's; it
> was very helpful for me when debugging but it isn't good if they are adding
> unnecessary limitations on sizes. The additional nodes I added are a "don't care";
> it's the additional printing of child nodes (fields of existing structures) which
> is loading things down.

The stuff is in nodes/outfuncs.c, and is used in EXPLAIN VERBOSE.  I
question whether your structures would actually be output as part of a
rule.

I hesitate to remove any of the outfuncs stuff.  It is very useful, and
if it is missing, things are harder to debug.  Adding the fields I did
helped solve several problems I had when testing subselects, and I know
Vadim uses that output too.  Shame it goes into the rule, but hard to
imagine why the rule would not need it, except for fields that are only
used by the parser, but I think we need to be complete.  A better
solution would be to allow rewrite rules to span multiple blocks, or a
least allow them to take the space of two blocks.

Re: [HACKERS] Rule plan size for views?

От
jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
Hi,

> > > Oh, I didn't realize that the print functions were actually used for something
> > > other than printing and debugging. I had started to add a few new nodes when I
> > > was trying to debug the "primary key" code.
> > >
> > > Should we go through and bracket some of those with #ifdef QUERYDEBUG or
> > > something like that? Where are they actually used? Should we try to keep these
> > > at a minimum for production compiles of the system??
> >
> > Did you add stuff to dump that wasn't dumped before, or were they fields
> > of existing structure that used to be skipped?
> >
> > They are used for the rewrite system and for views.
>
> I added a few nodes (maybe two?), _and_ added some call-outs to existing nodes to
> follow their children down. This stuff can be bracketed with debugging #ifdef's; it
> was very helpful for me when debugging but it isn't good if they are adding
> unnecessary limitations on sizes. The additional nodes I added are a "don't care";
> it's the additional printing of child nodes (fields of existing structures) which
> is loading things down.
>
> I am not absolutely certain that we are talking about the same thing, so should
> confirm that it is the same routines which are causing trouble; this is the same
> printing/formatting code used for "explain"??
>
> I'd be happy to help clean them up, but I think you should help too; as I recall we
> were both mucking around there about the same time ;)

    I  think  we  talk about the same group of functions. But I'm
    not sure if the nodes you're talking  about  are  parsenodes.
    Only parsenodes are printed during rule creation to build the
    querytree string stored in the pg_rewrite catalog (views  are
    implemented by rules and do an internal CREATE RULE on CREATE
    VIEW).

    Anyway - If your nodes are parsenodes and you didn't  created
    the  corresponding  node  readfuncs,  I  would expect trouble
    during the rewrite handling when the printed rule  action  is
    parsed back to the backends internal querytree structures.

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] Rule plan size for views?

От
"Vadim B. Mikheev"
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > I added a few nodes (maybe two?), _and_ added some call-outs to existing nodes to
> > follow their children down. This stuff can be bracketed with debugging #ifdef's; it
> > was very helpful for me when debugging but it isn't good if they are adding
> > unnecessary limitations on sizes. The additional nodes I added are a "don't care";
> > it's the additional printing of child nodes (fields of existing structures) which
> > is loading things down.
>
> The stuff is in nodes/outfuncs.c, and is used in EXPLAIN VERBOSE.  I
> question whether your structures would actually be output as part of a
> rule.
>
> I hesitate to remove any of the outfuncs stuff.  It is very useful, and
> if it is missing, things are harder to debug.  Adding the fields I did
> helped solve several problems I had when testing subselects, and I know
> Vadim uses that output too.  Shame it goes into the rule, but hard to
> imagine why the rule would not need it, except for fields that are only
> used by the parser, but I think we need to be complete.  A better
> solution would be to allow rewrite rules to span multiple blocks, or a
> least allow them to take the space of two blocks.

Or use LO.

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] Rule plan size for views?

Дата:
> > I hesitate to remove any of the outfuncs stuff.  It is very useful, and
> > if it is missing, things are harder to debug.  Adding the fields I did
> > helped solve several problems I had when testing subselects, and I know
> > Vadim uses that output too.  Shame it goes into the rule, but hard to
> > imagine why the rule would not need it, except for fields that are only
> > used by the parser, but I think we need to be complete.  A better
> > solution would be to allow rewrite rules to span multiple blocks, or a
> > least allow them to take the space of two blocks.
>
> Or use LO.

Yea, that makes a lot of sense.

Jan Wieck wrote:

> Hi,

> > > Did you add stuff to dump that wasn't dumped before, or were they fields
> > > of existing structure that used to be skipped?
> > >
> > > They are used for the rewrite system and for views.
> >
> > I added a few nodes (maybe two?), _and_ added some call-outs to existing nodes to
> > follow their children down. This stuff can be bracketed with debugging #ifdef's; it
> > was very helpful for me when debugging but it isn't good if they are adding
> > unnecessary limitations on sizes. The additional nodes I added are a "don't care";
> > it's the additional printing of child nodes (fields of existing structures) which
> > is loading things down.
> >
> > I am not absolutely certain that we are talking about the same thing, so should
> > confirm that it is the same routines which are causing trouble; this is the same
> > printing/formatting code used for "explain"??
> >
> > I'd be happy to help clean them up, but I think you should help too; as I recall we
> > were both mucking around there about the same time ;)
>
>     I  think  we  talk about the same group of functions. But I'm
>     not sure if the nodes you're talking  about  are  parsenodes.
>     Only parsenodes are printed during rule creation to build the
>     querytree string stored in the pg_rewrite catalog (views  are
>     implemented by rules and do an internal CREATE RULE on CREATE
>     VIEW).
>
>     Anyway - If your nodes are parsenodes and you didn't  created
>     the  corresponding  node  readfuncs,  I  would expect trouble
>     during the rewrite handling when the printed rule  action  is
>     parsed back to the backends internal querytree structures.

Well, how to we come to a conclusion here? Here are apparently new calls (since v6.2.1)
in outfuncs.c which could print out something. There are a few, and some may be printed
as children of parsetree nodes. Anyone have an idea if any of these are in parsetree
nodes and could be affecting the view and rewrite storage?

btw, I don't recall doing anything in the readfuncs, so there aren't likely any new
routines there.

                                              - Tom

> _outCreateStmt(StringInfo str, CreateStmt *node)
>       _outNode(str, node->tableElts);
>       _outNode(str, node->inhRelnames);
>       _outNode(str, node->constraints);
> _outIndexStmt(StringInfo str, IndexStmt *node)
>       _outNode(str, node->indexParams);
>       _outNode(str, node->withClause);
>       _outNode(str, node->whereClause);
>       _outNode(str, node->rangetable);
> _outColumnDef(StringInfo str, ColumnDef *node)
>       _outNode(str, node->typename);
>       _outNode(str, node->constraints);
> _outTypeName(StringInfo str, TypeName *node)
>       _outNode(str, node->arrayBounds);
> _outIndexElem(StringInfo str, IndexElem *node)
>       _outNode(str, node->args);
>       _outNode(str, node->tname);
>                       case T_CreateStmt:
>                               _outNode(str, node->utilityStmt);
>                       case T_IndexStmt:
>                               _outNode(str, node->utilityStmt);
>                       case T_NotifyStmt:
>       _outNode(str, node->sortClause);
>       _outNode(str, node->groupClause);
>       _outNode(str, node->havingQual);
>       _outNode(str, node->unionClause);
> _outSortClause(StringInfo str, SortClause *node)
>       _outNode(str, node->resdom);
> _outGroupClause(StringInfo str, GroupClause *node)
>       _outNode(str, node->entry);
>       sprintf(buf, " :size %d ", node->plan_size);
>       sprintf(buf, " :width %d ", node->plan_width);
>       _outIntList(str, node->extParam);
>       _outIntList(str, node->locParam);
>       _outNode(str, node->initPlan);
>       _outNode(str, node->unionrts);
> _outSubPlan(StringInfo str, SubPlan *node)
>       _outNode(str, node->plan);
>       sprintf(buf, " :planid %u ", node->plan_id);
>       _outNode(str, node->rtable);
>       _outIntList(str, node->setParam);
>       _outIntList(str, node->parParam);
>       _outNode(str, node->sublink);
>       _outNode(str, node->aggs);
>       appendStringInfo(str, node->fj_initialized ? "true" : "false");
>       sprintf(buf, " :nNodes %d ", node->fj_nNodes);
>               appendStringInfo(str, (node->fj_alwaysDone[i]) ? "true" : "false");
>               case SUBPLAN_EXPR:
>       _outNode(str, node->target);
> _outSubLink(StringInfo str, SubLink *node)
>       _outNode(str, node->lefthand);
>       _outNode(str, node->oper);
>       _outNode(str, node->subselect);
>       _outNode(str, node->expr);
> _outAExpr(StringInfo str, A_Expr *node)
>       _outNode(str, node->lexpr);
>       _outNode(str, node->rexpr);
> _outIdent(StringInfo str, Ident *node)
> _outAConst(StringInfo str, A_Const *node)
> [...]

Дата:
I don't see any of these affecting the rewrite system.  They should
already have been in the code.  Were they not?

> [...]
> >       sprintf(buf, " :planid %u ", node->plan_id);
> >       _outNode(str, node->rtable);
> >       _outIntList(str, node->setParam);
> >       _outIntList(str, node->parParam);
> >       _outNode(str, node->sublink);
> >       _outNode(str, node->aggs);
> >       appendStringInfo(str, node->fj_initialized ? "true" : "false");
> >       sprintf(buf, " :nNodes %d ", node->fj_nNodes);
> >               appendStringInfo(str, (node->fj_alwaysDone[i]) ? "true" : "false");
> >               case SUBPLAN_EXPR:
> >       _outNode(str, node->target);
> > _outSubLink(StringInfo str, SubLink *node)
> >       _outNode(str, node->lefthand);
> >       _outNode(str, node->oper);
> >       _outNode(str, node->subselect);
> >       _outNode(str, node->expr);
> > _outAExpr(StringInfo str, A_Expr *node)
> >       _outNode(str, node->lexpr);
> >       _outNode(str, node->rexpr);
> > _outIdent(StringInfo str, Ident *node)
> > _outAConst(StringInfo str, A_Const *node)

Дата:
> I don't see any of these affecting the rewrite system.  They should
> already have been in the code.  Were they not?

I recall adding code to print the nodes of a create index statement, and the nodes of a
table create statement. I don't quite remember which other ones, but everything listed
below is new since v6.2.1.

> [...]
> > >                       case T_SortClause:
> > >                               _outSortClause(str, obj);
> > >                       case T_GroupClause:
> > >                               _outGroupClause(str, obj);
> > >                       case T_SubPlan:
> > >                               _outSubPlan(str, obj);
> > >                       case T_SubLink:
> > >                               _outSubLink(str, obj);
> > >                       case T_A_Expr:
> > >                               _outAExpr(str, obj);
> > >                       case T_Ident:
> > >                               _outIdent(str, obj);
> > >                       case T_A_Const:
> > >                               _outAConst(str, obj);

Re: [HACKERS] Rule plan size for views?

> > I don't see any of these affecting the rewrite system.  They should
> > already have been in the code.  Were they not?
>
> I recall adding code to print the nodes of a create index statement, and the nodes of a
> table create statement. I don't quite remember which other ones, but everything listed

I think I added many of these to fixed rule problems.