Обсуждение: OT hardware recommend

OT hardware recommend

От
Andy Colson
Дата:
Hi all.

I have access to quite a few laptop HD's (10 to 15 of them at least),
and thought that might make a neat test box that might have some good IO
speed.

Needs to be cheap though, so linux with software raid, rack mount
preferred but not required.

Anyone have any experience with anything like that?  $2K might be
possible, painful, but possible.

Suggestions?

Thanks for your time,

-Andy

Re: OT hardware recommend

От
John W Higgins
Дата:
With it being 2U you can then pop out the motherboard and go with anything more modern you wanted in terms of the motherboard/cpu/ram.

$1200 all in would certainly get you a nice system with that as the base.

John

I have access to quite a few laptop HD's (10 to 15 of them at least), and thought that might make a neat test box that might have some good IO speed.

Needs to be cheap though, so linux with software raid, rack mount preferred but not required.

Anyone have any experience with anything like that?  $2K might be possible, painful, but possible.

Suggestions?

Thanks for your time,

-Andy

Re: OT hardware recommend

От
Gavin Flower
Дата:
On 18/06/16 08:36, Andy Colson wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I have access to quite a few laptop HD's (10 to 15 of them at least),
> and thought that might make a neat test box that might have some good
> IO speed.
>
> Needs to be cheap though, so linux with software raid, rack mount
> preferred but not required.
>
> Anyone have any experience with anything like that?  $2K might be
> possible, painful, but possible.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> -Andy

It would be a good idea to say what country you are in, and what city
(or locality).

What I know about Auckland in New Zealand may not be relevant to you...  :-)

Cheers,
Gavin

Re: OT hardware recommend

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 6/17/2016 2:33 PM, John W Higgins wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2U-24-bay-2-5-Supermicro-Server-X8DTH-iF-2x-Xeon-Quad-Core-32GB-RAM-SAS2-216EL1-/222132081393?hash=item33b81a92f1:g:UzYAAOSwR5dXSQVw

> With it being 2U you can then pop out the motherboard and go with
> anything more modern you wanted in terms of the motherboard/cpu/ram.

I would, however, also buy a LSI/Avago SAS 9207-8i card and remove that
3ware 9750 'hardware' raid controller, which you can probably get $200
for on ebay.

Re: OT hardware recommend

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 2:36 PM, Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net> wrote:
Hi all.

I have access to quite a few laptop HD's (10 to 15 of them at least), and thought that might make a neat test box that might have some good IO speed.

Needs to be cheap though, so linux with software raid, rack mount preferred but not required.

Anyone have any experience with anything like that?  $2K might be possible, painful, but possible.

Suggestions?

Sell them all and buy a couple of 800G SSDs? :)

Re: OT hardware recommend

От
Gavin Flower
Дата:
On 18/06/16 14:23, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 2:36 PM, Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net
> <mailto:andy@squeakycode.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all.
>
>     I have access to quite a few laptop HD's (10 to 15 of them at
>     least), and thought that might make a neat test box that might
>     have some good IO speed.
>
>     Needs to be cheap though, so linux with software raid, rack mount
>     preferred but not required.
>
>     Anyone have any experience with anything like that?  $2K might be
>     possible, painful, but possible.
>
>     Suggestions?
>

> Sell them all and buy a couple of 800G SSDs? :)

You can get 4TB SSD's now - but somewhat pricey!!!

(besides, you'd still need backups)

Re: OT hardware recommend

От
Andy Colson
Дата:
On 06/17/2016 04:33 PM, Gavin Flower wrote:
> On 18/06/16 08:36, Andy Colson wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I have access to quite a few laptop HD's (10 to 15 of them at least), and thought that might make a neat test box
thatmight have some good IO speed.

>> Needs to be cheap though, so linux with software raid, rack mount preferred but not required.
>>
>> Anyone have any experience with anything like that?  $2K might be possible, painful, but possible.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks for your time,
>>
>> -Andy
>>

> It would be a good idea to say what country you are in, and what city (or locality).
>
> What I know about Auckland in New Zealand may not be relevant to you...  :-)
>

> Cheers,
> Gavin

Iowa, USA.

Re: OT hardware recommend

От
Andy Colson
Дата:
On 06/17/2016 09:23 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 2:36 PM, Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net <mailto:andy@squeakycode.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all.
>
>     I have access to quite a few laptop HD's (10 to 15 of them at least), and thought that might make a neat test box
thatmight have some good IO speed.

>     Needs to be cheap though, so linux with software raid, rack mount preferred but not required.
>
>     Anyone have any experience with anything like that?  $2K might be possible, painful, but possible.
>
>     Suggestions?
>

> Sell them all and buy a couple of 800G SSDs? :)
Gaaa.. math!

Yep, had not thought about that.  But do I want speed or space?  How much could we sell them for?  So many questions I
hadnot thought about.  I'd just thought, "huh, a pile of laptop drives, I'd better raid them", and not much else.

We have good production boxes, so this would only be for test/play.  I don't even really have a purpose, other than
maybelearning something new.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

-Andy

Re: OT hardware recommend

От
Andy Colson
Дата:
On 06/17/2016 04:39 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 6/17/2016 2:33 PM, John W Higgins wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2U-24-bay-2-5-Supermicro-Server-X8DTH-iF-2x-Xeon-Quad-Core-32GB-RAM-SAS2-216EL1-/222132081393?hash=item33b81a92f1:g:UzYAAOSwR5dXSQVw

>> With it being 2U you can then pop out the motherboard and go with anything more modern you wanted in terms of the
motherboard/cpu/ram.

> I would, however, also buy a LSI/Avago SAS 9207-8i card and remove that 3ware 9750 'hardware' raid controller, which
youcan probably get $200 for on ebay.

Thanks John and John.  (Thank the John's!)

Seems Like I could also get an HP D2700 off ebay pretty cheap, but I'd probably also have to buy a raid card that
supportsmini-sas, and I'd have to find a computer to attach it to.  Anyone with experience with those (or similar)?

Any idea's if 15 5400 laptop drives in raid 10 attached to a D2700 would be performant at all?

There's a pretty good chance I'll get a few more.  I might get 5 more, would that make a difference?

Would the Supermicro and an HP D2700 use about the same amount of power?

Thanks all.

-Andy

Re: OT hardware recommend

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 06/18/2016 11:52 AM, Andy Colson wrote:
> On 06/17/2016 04:39 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 6/17/2016 2:33 PM, John W Higgins wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2U-24-bay-2-5-Supermicro-Server-X8DTH-iF-2x-Xeon-Quad-Core-32GB-RAM-SAS2-216EL1-/222132081393?hash=item33b81a92f1:g:UzYAAOSwR5dXSQVw

>>> With it being 2U you can then pop out the motherboard and go with
>>> anything more modern you wanted in terms of the motherboard/cpu/ram.
>>
>> I would, however, also buy a LSI/Avago SAS 9207-8i card and remove
>> that 3ware 9750 'hardware' raid controller, which you can probably get
>> $200 for on ebay.
>>

> Thanks John and John.  (Thank the John's!)
>
> Seems Like I could also get an HP D2700 off ebay pretty cheap, but I'd
> probably also have to buy a raid card that supports mini-sas, and I'd
> have to find a computer to attach it to.  Anyone with experience with
> those (or similar)?
>
> Any idea's if 15 5400 laptop drives in raid 10 attached to a D2700 would
> be performant at all?

Sure, especially if you get a caching controller and use RAID 10.

That said, a single SSD will blow the doors off of it.

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Re: OT hardware recommend

От
Adam Brusselback
Дата:
Agreed with Joshua, a single ssd will have way more performance than all 15 of those for random io for sure, and probably be very close on sequential.  That said, a raid controller able to handle all 15 drives (or multiple that handle a subset of the drives) is likely to be more expensive than a single good ssd, or a couple / few pretty good ssd's.

It's really amazing how much solid state drives transferred the database bottleneck away from disk.

Re: OT hardware recommend

От
"Mike Sofen"