Re: OT hardware recommend

От Andy Colson
Тема Re: OT hardware recommend
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 06/17/2016 09:23 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 2:36 PM, Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net <mailto:andy@squeakycode.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all.
>
>     I have access to quite a few laptop HD's (10 to 15 of them at least), and thought that might make a neat test box
thatmight have some good IO speed.

>     Needs to be cheap though, so linux with software raid, rack mount preferred but not required.
>
>     Anyone have any experience with anything like that?  $2K might be possible, painful, but possible.
>
>     Suggestions?
>

> Sell them all and buy a couple of 800G SSDs? :)
Gaaa.. math!

Yep, had not thought about that.  But do I want speed or space?  How much could we sell them for?  So many questions I
hadnot thought about.  I'd just thought, "huh, a pile of laptop drives, I'd better raid them", and not much else.

We have good production boxes, so this would only be for test/play.  I don't even really have a purpose, other than
maybelearning something new.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

-Andy