Обсуждение: Postgresql 9.3.4 file system compatibility

Postgresql 9.3.4 file system compatibility

От
Marllius
Дата:
Hi guys!

The OCFS2 and XFS have compatibility with postgresql 9.3.4?

I was looking the documentation but i not found it.

Re: Postgresql 9.3.4 file system compatibility

От
Bob Lunney
Дата:
XFS absolutely does.  Its well supported on Redhat and CentOS 6.x and 7.x.  Highly recommended.

Don’t know about OCFS2.

Bob Lunney
Lead Data Architect
MeetMe, Inc.

> On Apr 8, 2016, at 8:56 AM, Marllius <marllius@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi guys!
>
> The OCFS2 and XFS have compatibility with postgresql 9.3.4?
>
> I was looking the documentation but i not found it.

Re: Postgresql 9.3.4 file system compatibility

От
Marllius
Дата:
thank you, but i need a link in official postgresql documentation

OCFS2 = oracle cluster file system 2

--
Atenciosamente,

Márllius de Carvalho Ribeiro

Re: Postgresql 9.3.4 file system compatibility

От
Scott Mead

thank you, but i need a link in official postgresql documentation

I'm not sure if that link exists, the general rule is In g if it's POSIX, it'll work. You'll find that most PostgreSQL-ers have strong opinions and preferences in regards to filesystems.   Personally, I know that XFS will work, it's not *my* preference, but, to each their own.

OCFS2 = oracle cluster file system 2

XFS absolutely does.  Its well supported on Redhat and CentOS 6.x and 7.x.  Highly recommended.

Don’t know about OCFS2.

Bob Lunney
Lead Data Architect
MeetMe, Inc.

> On Apr 8, 2016, at 8:56 AM, Marllius <marllius@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi guys!
>
> The OCFS2 and XFS have compatibility with postgresql 9.3.4?

I did some experimentation with ocfs2 back about 7 or 8 years ago (admittedly, a Big-Bang away, so keep that in mind when reading my comments).  At the time, OCFS2 was *mostly* POSIX compatible and would indeed work with Postgres.  What we found (again, at the time) is that OCFS2 started to have performance problems and eventually a race condition when using a large number of [relatively] small files.  I believe the DB I was working on had 10's of databases, each with 1,000+ tables in it, so, lots of files.  It was really designed for use with Oracle (small number of large files) and was passed over in favor of ASM.

If it were me, I'd stay away from OCFS2 for anything except Oracle (and in that case, I'd use ASM).

> I was looking the documentation but i not found it.

--
Atenciosamente,

Márllius de Carvalho Ribeiro

Re: Postgresql 9.3.4 file system compatibility

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 4/8/2016 7:20 AM, Scott Mead wrote:

> I'm not sure if that link exists, the general rule is In g if it's
> POSIX, it'll work. You'll find that most PostgreSQL-ers have strong
> opinions and preferences in regards to filesystems.   Personally, I
> know that XFS will work, it's not *my* preference, but, to each their own.

and my experience is that in RHEL 6 and 7, XFS works very well, and IS
my preference for data volumes.

Re: Postgresql 9.3.4 file system compatibility

От
Albe Laurenz
Marllius wrote:
> OCFS2 = oracle cluster file system 2

I think using OCFS2 for PostgreSQL data is a good idea if you want
to be the first at something or try to discover bugs in OCFS2.

Why do you want a cluster file system for PostgreSQL?  You cannot
have more than one server access the same data at the same time
anyway.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Postgresql 9.3.4 file system compatibility

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 4/8/2016 6:16 AM, Marllius wrote:
> thank you, but i need a link in official postgresql documentation

as postgresql is operating system independent, its pretty unlikely there
will be discussions of specific file systems in the official documentation.

Re: Postgresql 9.3.4 file system compatibility

От
Marllius

Thanks guys, the answers helped me a lot in my decision , I'm evaluating my options.

Re: Postgresql 9.3.4 file system compatibility

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Albe Laurenz (laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at) wrote:
> Marllius wrote:
> > OCFS2 = oracle cluster file system 2
>
> I think using OCFS2 for PostgreSQL data is a good idea if you want
> to be the first at something or try to discover bugs in OCFS2.

I've found that OCFS2 is a very decent clustered filesystem for smallish
environments (4 or 8).  We had trouble with larger clusters.

> Why do you want a cluster file system for PostgreSQL?  You cannot
> have more than one server access the same data at the same time
> anyway.

This is probably the better question.  Using a clustered filesystem can
be handy for redundancy, and you could use OCFS2 or DRDB for that, but
don't expect to be able to run multiple PG servers concurrently from the
same set of data files.

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения