Обсуждение: Best way to migrate a 200 GB database from PG 2.7 to 3.6

Best way to migrate a 200 GB database from PG 2.7 to 3.6

От
Filip Lyncker
Дата:
Dear List,

I need to migrate my database from a 2.x to 3.x. Usually Im using
pg_basebackup , but this is not possible with different versions.
Pg_dump seems to be an option but it is slow like hell and I dont want
to stay offline all the time.
Is there another possibility to migrate  a database with 200 GB ?

Thanks a lot,

cheers

Filip

Re: Best way to migrate a 200 GB database from PG 2.7 to 3.6

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 15/04/2015 20:03, Filip Lyncker wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I need to migrate my database from a 2.x to 3.x. Usually Im using
> pg_basebackup , but this is not possible with different versions.
> Pg_dump seems to be an option but it is slow like hell and I dont want
> to stay offline all the time.
> Is there another possibility to migrate  a database with 200 GB ?

Those version numbers aren't correct... current PG major versions run
from 9.0 to 9.4. I don't think there was ever any version less than 6
(though I could be wrong).

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: Best way to migrate a 200 GB database from PG 2.7 to 3.6

От
Igor Neyman

I need to migrate my database from a 2.x to 3.x. Usually Im using pg_basebackup , but this is not possible with
differentversions.

Pg_dump seems to be an option but it is slow like hell and I dont want to stay offline all the time.
Is there another possibility to migrate  a database with 200 GB ?

Thanks a lot,

cheers

Filip

---

PG 2.7 to 3.6???

Anyway, did you look at pg_upgrade?

Regards,
Igor Neyman

Re: Best way to migrate a 200 GB database from PG 2.7 to 3.6

От
Andy Colson
Дата:
On 4/15/2015 2:03 PM, Filip Lyncker wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I need to migrate my database from a 2.x to 3.x. Usually Im using
> pg_basebackup , but this is not possible with different versions.
> Pg_dump seems to be an option but it is slow like hell and I dont want
> to stay offline all the time.
> Is there another possibility to migrate  a database with 200 GB ?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> cheers
>
> Filip

Postgresql is on version 9.  What do you mean version 2 or 3?

Maybe use replication?

http://www.slony.info/documentation/1.2/versionupgrade.html

Or something similar?

-Andy

Re: Best way to migrate a 200 GB database from PG 2.7 to 3.6

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 04/15/2015 12:14 PM, Andy Colson wrote:

> Postgresql is on version 9.  What do you mean version 2 or 3?

He probably means 9.2.7 to 9.3.6. Remember to a lot of people 9 means 9.

That said, pg_upgrade is the way to do this as long as you can have an
outage.

JD