Обсуждение: Disable Postgresql startup on boot (Windows XP)

Disable Postgresql startup on boot (Windows XP)

От
Ken
Дата:
Hi.  Everytime I boot Windows XP a number of postgres.exe services
start and run in the background.  As I am only an occasional user of
postgresql on my laptop I was wondering how (a) I could disable the
auto-start of the service on boot and (b) how to manually start/stop
postgresql when needed?
Thanks.
Ken

Re: Disable Postgresql startup on boot (Windows XP)

От
Stephen Cook
Дата:
On 1/4/2011 10:25 PM, Ken wrote:
> Hi.  Everytime I boot Windows XP a number of postgres.exe services
> start and run in the background.  As I am only an occasional user of
> postgresql on my laptop I was wondering how (a) I could disable the
> auto-start of the service on boot and (b) how to manually start/stop
> postgresql when needed?
> Thanks.
> Ken

In the Services MMC Console (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools ->
Services I think, it's been a while) you can change the startup type to
"Manual" instead of "Automatic", then the service will only run when
told to.

After doing that, you can create batch files that use the NET START and
NET STOP commands (you'll have to find out the service name from the
above step to use them). Then run these batch files when you to start
and stop the PostgreSQL service (or just type the commands in the
command-line each time I suppose).

-- Stephen

Re: Disable Postgresql startup on boot (Windows XP)

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 01/04/11 7:25 PM, Ken wrote:
> Hi.  Everytime I boot Windows XP a number of postgres.exe services
> start and run in the background.  As I am only an occasional user of
> postgresql on my laptop I was wondering how (a) I could disable the
> auto-start of the service on boot and (b) how to manually start/stop
> postgresql when needed?

A) go into Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Managment
-> Services, find the postgresql service, and set its start type to 'manual'

B)  either, go to the same place above, and right click->start (or
stop), or at a command line shell prompt run the commands

         NET START postgresql-8.4
or
         NET STOP postgresql-8.4