Обсуждение: Libpq on iPad?

Libpq on iPad?

От
Jerry LeVan
Дата:
Has anyone looked at the feasibility of building libpq as a first step towards building
An iPad app that can talk to postgresql dbs ?

Thanks

Jerry

Trapped in Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field

Re: Libpq on iPad?

От
ABPNI

On 2 Aug 2010, at 00:44, Jerry LeVan <jerry.levan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone looked at the feasibility of building libpq as a first
> step towards building
> An iPad app that can talk to postgresql dbs ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jerry
>
> Trapped in Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field

I would have thought that only backend apps would talk to pgsql?

Maybe there is a case to allow an ipad app to talk directly to a pgsql
database? Admin work?

Re: Libpq on iPad?

От
Jerry LeVan
Дата:
On Aug 1, 2010, at 8:00 PM, ABPNI wrote:

> On 2 Aug 2010, at 00:44, Jerry LeVan <jerry.levan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone looked at the feasibility of building libpq as a first step towards building
>> An iPad app that can talk to postgresql dbs ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jerry
>>
>> Trapped in Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field
>> --
>
> I would have thought that only backend apps would talk to pgsql?
>
> Maybe there is a case to allow an ipad app to talk directly to a pgsql database? Admin work?

Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away, I wrote gui apps ( Cocoa/Python/Tk) that allowed
me to interact with Postgresql databases ( Think stripped down PgAdmin).

It would be nice to be able to do the same on my iPad...but I guess that Python and Tk are
out as developmental tools.

(I have a ssh app that I can use but it is a bit clumsy...)

Jerry

Re: Libpq on iPad?

От
Sim Zacks
Дата:
> I would have thought that only backend apps would talk to pgsql?
>
> Maybe there is a case to allow an ipad app to talk directly to a pgsql
> database? Admin work?

Postgresql is the backend. An iPad app that uses the database, needs libpq.
If you wanted to scratch the left side of your head with your right
hand, you could build a server script that a web app could talk to using
the http protocol to speak with apache, maybe even with javascript using
ajax on the client.
If you had a web server for your app and didn't want to change it, then
you wouldn't need an iPad app at all, just browser access.

Using a direct client-server model using libpq would be far more efficient

Re: Libpq on iPad?

От
Steve Atkins
Дата:
On Aug 1, 2010, at 4:44 PM, Jerry LeVan wrote:

> Has anyone looked at the feasibility of building libpq as a first step towards building
> An iPad app that can talk to postgresql dbs ?

Apparently, yes. http://www.spanware.com/iphonedb/MobileCan/MobileCan.html

ISTR someone discussing it on IRC or on one of the mailing lists, and it being a fairly naive port of libpq to cocoa
ratherthan being a new native implementation of the protocol.

If you google for "iphone postgresql" you'll find a fair bit of discussion, and some example build scripts for libpq on
iphone.

The EnterpriseDB folks also did an iphone friendly webapp as part of stackbuilder, I think.

Cheers,
  Steve