Обсуждение: Finding last checkpoint time

Finding last checkpoint time

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Is there a way to find last checkpoint time via SQL command? I know I
can grep xlogs by turning on log_checkpoints, but I'd prefer an SQL
solution.

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: Finding last checkpoint time

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
2010/7/20 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>:

> Is there a way to find last checkpoint time via SQL command? I know I
> can grep xlogs by turning on log_checkpoints, but I'd prefer an SQL
> solution.
>
> --

Or you can use pg_controldata /path/to/pgdata and look at "Time of
latest checkpoint".

I don't know of any other way, not to say there isn't one.

Thom

Re: Finding last checkpoint time

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> Is there a way to find last checkpoint time via SQL command? I know I
> can grep xlogs by turning on log_checkpoints, but I'd prefer an SQL
> solution.

Not directly.  Best you can do without linking in new server code is
either import the logs via CVS to get them into a table, or shell out
and look at what comes out of pg_controldata.

There have been two works in progress to improve this situation that
didn't make it through to commit yet.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2008-04/msg00079.php tried
to expose just that bit of data and was shot down for a number of
reasons, from accuracy concerns to the UI used.  The still pending one
at
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4B959D7A.6010907@joeconway.com
just adds a SQL interface to what comes out of pg_controldata.  You
might prefer to use something like that to calling the shell to parse
the output from the utility, if you don't mind adding something new to
the server code.

Re: Finding last checkpoint time

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 20:48 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:

> Or you can use pg_controldata /path/to/pgdata and look at "Time of
> latest checkpoint".

Right. Thanks :)
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: Finding last checkpoint time

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: Finding last checkpoint time

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 16:15 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> > Is there a way to find last checkpoint time via SQL command? I know I
> > can grep xlogs by turning on log_checkpoints, but I'd prefer an SQL
> > solution.
> >

> Not directly.  Best you can do without linking in new server code is
> either import the logs via CVS to get them into a table, or shell out
> and look at what comes out of pg_controldata.
>
> There have been two works in progress to improve this situation that
> didn't make it through to commit yet.
<snip>

What about adding a column to pg_stat_bgwriter, like "last_checkpoint"
or similar?

Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: Finding last checkpoint time

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> What about adding a column to pg_stat_bgwriter, like "last_checkpoint"
> or similar?

If you look at the messages I linked to, you'll find that's one of the
ideas that's been proposed and shot down.  We even had a patch...

Re: Finding last checkpoint time

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Greg Sabino Mullane's message of jue jul 22 13:34:25 UTC 2010:

Re: Finding last checkpoint time

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Greg Sabino Mullane's message of vie jul 23 19:08:27 UTC 2010:

> > Hmm, wouldn't have it been easier to set LC_MESSAGES to C before
> > calling pg_controldata?
>
> To be honest, I can't remember why that wasn't working for me when
> I tried it some time ago. I just verified that it *will* work,
> however, when I set LANGUAGE (LC_MESSAGES has no effect).

Hmm, now that you mention it, I think I remember different systems
honoring different env vars.  To be safe you probably want to set the
lot of them -- LANGUAGE, LANG, LC_ALL.

Note that LC_MESSAGES has no effect if LC_ALL is set.  I think other
vars also override LC_MESSAGES in some systems.

Still, this is way better than a collection of translated strings;
consider a translator fixing a typo, or choosing a different wording, or
a new language being added.

Re: Finding last checkpoint time

Дата:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
[ There is text before PGP section. ]

> > Hmm, wouldn't have it been easier to set LC_MESSAGES to C before
> > calling pg_controldata?
>
> To be honest, I can't remember why that wasn't working for me when
> I tried it some time ago. I just verified that it *will* work,
> however, when I set LANGUAGE (LC_MESSAGES has no effect).
>
> Specifically, LANGUAGE changes the headers of pg_controldata
> (but not the actual output, LC_ALL does that). Thanks for the
> nudge, I'll get to rewriting some code.

pg_upgrade does this in controldata.c for this exact reason:

        /*
         * Because we test the pg_resetxlog output strings, it has to be in
         * English.
         */
        if (getenv("LANG"))
            lang = pg_strdup(ctx, getenv("LANG"));
    #ifndef WIN32
        putenv(pg_strdup(ctx, "LANG=C"));
    #else
        SetEnvironmentVariableA("LANG", "C");
    #endif

Re: Finding last checkpoint time

Дата:
> Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
>> Specifically, LANGUAGE changes the headers of pg_controldata
>> (but not the actual output, LC_ALL does that). Thanks for the
>> nudge, I'll get to rewriting some code.

> pg_upgrade does this in controldata.c for this exact reason:

>         /*
>          * Because we test the pg_resetxlog output strings, it has to be in
>          * English.
>          */
>         if (getenv("LANG"))
>             lang = pg_strdup(ctx, getenv("LANG"));
>     #ifndef WIN32
>         putenv(pg_strdup(ctx, "LANG=C"));
>     #else
>         SetEnvironmentVariableA("LANG", "C");
>     #endif

You do realize that's far from bulletproof?  To be sure that that does
anything, you'd need to set (or unset) LC_ALL and LC_MESSAGES as well.
And I thought Windows spelled it LANGUAGE not LANG ...

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> >> Specifically, LANGUAGE changes the headers of pg_controldata
> >> (but not the actual output, LC_ALL does that). Thanks for the
> >> nudge, I'll get to rewriting some code.
>
> > pg_upgrade does this in controldata.c for this exact reason:
>
> >         /*
> >          * Because we test the pg_resetxlog output strings, it has to be in
> >          * English.
> >          */
> >         if (getenv("LANG"))
> >             lang = pg_strdup(ctx, getenv("LANG"));
> >     #ifndef WIN32
> >         putenv(pg_strdup(ctx, "LANG=C"));
> >     #else
> >         SetEnvironmentVariableA("LANG", "C");
> >     #endif
>
> You do realize that's far from bulletproof?  To be sure that that does
> anything, you'd need to set (or unset) LC_ALL and LC_MESSAGES as well.
> And I thought Windows spelled it LANGUAGE not LANG ...

Well, this has been tested on Windows in a Japanese environment.  I see
test/regress/pg_regress.c does have all the settings you suggest.  I
will add them too.