Обсуждение: Why am I getting this error in DB

Why am I getting this error in DB

От
AI Rumman
Дата:
Why am I getting this error in DB?

-  number of page slots needed (858976) exceeds max_fsm_pages (356656)

Re: Why am I getting this error in DB

От
Ben Chobot
Дата:
On Feb 16, 2010, at 9:17 PM, AI Rumman wrote:

> Why am I getting this error in DB?
>
> -  number of page slots needed (858976) exceeds max_fsm_pages (356656)

Because you have more pages that need to be cleaned during the vacuum than you have room for in your configured free
spacemap (max_fsm_pages). To fix, vacuum more frequently, increase your max_fsm_pages and restart postgres, or upgrade
to8.4, which automatically adjusts the FSM as needed under the covers.

Re: Why am I getting this error in DB

От
AI Rumman
Дата:
How should I calculate the value of max_fsm_pages?

Thanks
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Ben Chobot <bench@silentmedia.com> wrote:
On Feb 16, 2010, at 9:17 PM, AI Rumman wrote:

> Why am I getting this error in DB?
>
> -  number of page slots needed (858976) exceeds max_fsm_pages (356656)

Because you have more pages that need to be cleaned during the vacuum than you have room for in your configured free space map (max_fsm_pages). To fix, vacuum more frequently, increase your max_fsm_pages and restart postgres, or upgrade to 8.4, which automatically adjusts the FSM as needed under the covers.

Re: Why am I getting this error in DB

От
Ben Chobot
Дата:
On Feb 16, 2010, at 9:39 PM, AI Rumman wrote:

> How should I calculate the value of max_fsm_pages?

Adding pages is cheap, so I would take the value it says you need (858976) and bring it up to the next power of 10.
Especiallybecause changing it requires a restart. Of course, if you've been doing more or less updates/deletes than
normal,adjust appropriately.

Or just upgrade to 8.4, which doesn't need this knob anymore. :)