Обсуждение: When is the release date for Postgres 8.5?

When is the release date for Postgres 8.5?

От
DM
Дата:
Hello All,

When is the release date for Postgres 8.5?

Thanks
Deepak

Re: When is the release date for Postgres 8.5?

От
"A. Kretschmer"
Дата:
> Hello All,
>
> When is the release date for Postgres 8.5?

Never.

The next version will be 9.0, released when it is ready for production.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer
GnuPG: 0x31720C99, 1006 CCB4 A326 1D42 6431  2EB0 389D 1DC2 3172 0C99

Re: When is the release date for Postgres 8.5?

Дата:
A. Kretschmer wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > When is the release date for Postgres 8.5?
>
> Never.
>
> The next version will be 9.0, released when it is ready for production.

Yea, we are months away from a new major release.

Re: When is the release date for Postgres 8.5?

От
DM
Дата:
Thank you for the update.

Thanks
Deepak

 Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
 EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

Re: When is the release date for Postgres 8.5?

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
A. Kretschmer wrote:
> The next version will be 9.0, released when it is ready for production.

why the major jump ?   Is there a quantum leap in functionality, or
performance, or internal architecture ?

Re: When is the release date for Postgres 8.5?

От
Larry Rosenman
Дата:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, John R Pierce wrote:

> A. Kretschmer wrote:
>> The next version will be 9.0, released when it is ready for production.
>>

> why the major jump ?   Is there a quantum leap in functionality, or
> performance, or internal architecture ?
Copied from an identical thread on -hackers:
-----
"Larry Rosenman" <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> On Thu, January 21, 2010 5:53 pm, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
>> Care to shed some light on what features (yes, we users care about
>> features) warrant this major version-bump? Is there a link somewhere?

> AFAIR, it was stated if Hot Standby AND Streaming Replication hit the
> tree, the release number would go to 9.0.

Yeah.  The question of "when do we call it 9.0" has come up multiple
times over the past few release cycles, and "when we get built-in
replication" has always been one of the more popular answers.  If HS+SR
aren't enough to justify a major version bump, I'm not sure what would be.

The other bit of rationale for this is that HS+SR are likely to induce a
certain amount of, um, instability.  Labeling the release with a dot-oh
version number will help to set people's expectations about that.  For
comparison's sake, one of the main reasons for calling 8.0 8.0 was the
native Windows port, and it certainly took a while for that to settle
down.

----

Phone: +1 512-248-2683                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
US Mail: 430 Valona Loop, Round Rock, TX 78681-3893

Re: When is the release date for Postgres 8.5?

От
Vincenzo Romano
Дата:
2010/1/22 John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>:
> A. Kretschmer wrote:
>>
>> The next version will be 9.0, released when it is ready for production.
>>

> why the major jump ?   Is there a quantum leap in functionality, or
> performance, or internal architecture ?

It's just the next version number.

--
Vincenzo Romano
NotOrAnd Information Technologies

Re: When is the release date for Postgres 8.5?

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
Larry Rosenman wrote:
> Yeah.  The question of "when do we call it 9.0" has come up multiple
> times over the past few release cycles, and "when we get built-in
> replication" has always been one of the more popular answers.  If HS+SR
> aren't enough to justify a major version bump, I'm not sure what would
> be.

works for me, heh!   what I was hoping to hear :)

and, gotcha, re X.0...

Re: When is the release date for Postgres 8.5?

От
Larry Rosenman
Дата:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, John R Pierce wrote:

> Larry Rosenman wrote:
>> Yeah.  The question of "when do we call it 9.0" has come up multiple
>> times over the past few release cycles, and "when we get built-in
>> replication" has always been one of the more popular answers.  If HS+SR
>> aren't enough to justify a major version bump, I'm not sure what would be.
>
> works for me, heh!   what I was hoping to hear :)
>
> and, gotcha, re X.0...
to be clear the quote about dot-oh is from Tom Lane, and not me.

I screwed up the cut/paste.

LER

Phone: +1 512-248-2683                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
US Mail: 430 Valona Loop, Round Rock, TX 78681-3893

Re: When is the release date for Postgres 8.5?

От
DM
Дата:
It looks like alpha version of 8.5 is already out here is the link

Thanks
Deepak

Larry Rosenman                     http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 512-248-2683                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
US Mail: 430 Valona Loop, Round Rock, TX 78681-3893

Re: When is the release date for Postgres 8.5?

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
And note that by taking place in the alpha testing, one can help get
pgsql out the door that much faster.  Use it in a staging / QA /
testing environment that you can use to punish it to see if it breaks
and report in the bugs.