Re: When is the release date for Postgres 8.5?

От Larry Rosenman
Тема Re: When is the release date for Postgres 8.5?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, John R Pierce wrote:

> A. Kretschmer wrote:
>> The next version will be 9.0, released when it is ready for production.
>>

> why the major jump ?   Is there a quantum leap in functionality, or
> performance, or internal architecture ?
Copied from an identical thread on -hackers:
-----
"Larry Rosenman" <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> On Thu, January 21, 2010 5:53 pm, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
>> Care to shed some light on what features (yes, we users care about
>> features) warrant this major version-bump? Is there a link somewhere?

> AFAIR, it was stated if Hot Standby AND Streaming Replication hit the
> tree, the release number would go to 9.0.

Yeah.  The question of "when do we call it 9.0" has come up multiple
times over the past few release cycles, and "when we get built-in
replication" has always been one of the more popular answers.  If HS+SR
aren't enough to justify a major version bump, I'm not sure what would be.

The other bit of rationale for this is that HS+SR are likely to induce a
certain amount of, um, instability.  Labeling the release with a dot-oh
version number will help to set people's expectations about that.  For
comparison's sake, one of the main reasons for calling 8.0 8.0 was the
native Windows port, and it certainly took a while for that to settle
down.

----

Phone: +1 512-248-2683                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
US Mail: 430 Valona Loop, Round Rock, TX 78681-3893

От: Andy Colson
Сообщение: Re: ISO guidelines/strategies to guard injection attacks
От: Vincenzo Romano
Сообщение: Re: When is the release date for Postgres 8.5?