Обсуждение: Build PG 8.4 (MinGW vs. MSVC)

Build PG 8.4 (MinGW vs. MSVC)

От
el dorado
Дата:
Hello!
I need to build PG 8.4 from sources for WinXP. There are two ways to do it: by means of MinGW of by means of MSVC.
FirstlyI used MinGW (gcc), but unfortunately I noticed some problems with result biniries (f.e.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2009-09/msg00526.php).
What is recommended now for building PG 8.4 for WinXP? Is it better to use MSVC compiler?
Thank in advance.

Regards, Marina.

Re: Build PG 8.4 (MinGW vs. MSVC)

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
2009/9/18 el dorado <do_ra_do@mail.ru>:
> Hello!
> I need to build PG 8.4 from sources for WinXP. There are two ways to do it: by means of MinGW of by means of MSVC.
FirstlyI used MinGW (gcc), but unfortunately I noticed some problems with result biniries (f.e.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2009-09/msg00526.php).
> What is recommended now for building PG 8.4 for WinXP? Is it better to use MSVC compiler?
> Thank in advance.

MingW is perfectly supported, and we know people use it.

MSVC is the recommended one I'd say, mainly because that's how the
official binaries are built, so the results are much more well-tested.
It also produces builds that are compatible with standard platform
debugger and profiling tools.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re[2]: Build PG 8.4 (MinGW vs. MSVC)

От
el dorado
Дата:
> > What is recommended now for building PG 8.4 for WinXP? Is it better to use MSVC compiler?>

> MingW is perfectly supported, and we know people use it.
> MSVC is the recommended one I'd say, mainly because that's how the
> official binaries are built, so the results are much more well-tested.
> It also produces builds that are compatible with standard platform
> debugger and profiling tools.
>  Magnus Hagander

Thank you very much for your answer.
According to your recommendation I try to use MSVC as described here
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/install-win32-full.html.
I configure options in config.pl and run build. I don't build from CVS and I know from documentation that "Bison and
Flexare required to build from CVS, but not required when building from a release file". But I get the error:

Done building project "pgsql.sln" -- FAILED
Build FAILED.
Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error from "Running bison on src\interfaces\ecpg\preproc\preproc.y"
0 Warning(s)
1 Error(s)
Time Elapsed 00:00:56:12

Maybe I should set some other options in configuration files? I didn't find any information about it in
documentation...:(

Regards, Marina.

Re[3]: Build PG 8.4 (MinGW vs. MSVC)

От
el dorado
Дата:
> > > What is recommended now for building PG 8.4 for WinXP? Is it better to use MSVC compiler?>
> Regards, Marina.
>
> > MingW is perfectly supported, and we know people use it.
> > MSVC is the recommended one I'd say, mainly because that's how the
> > official binaries are built, so the results are much more well-tested.
> >  Magnus Hagander
>
> Thank you very much for your answer.
> According to your recommendation I try to use MSVC as described here
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/install-win32-full.html.
> I configure options in config.pl and run build. I don't build from CVS and I know from documentation that "Bison and
Flexare required to build from CVS, but not required when building from a release file". But I get the error:

> Done building project "pgsql.sln" -- FAILED
> Build FAILED.
> Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error from "Running bison on src\interfaces\ecpg\preproc\preproc.y"
> 0 Warning(s)
> 1 Error(s)
> Maybe I should set some other options in configuration files? I didn't find any information about it in
documentation...:(
> Regards, Marina.

Hello!
Maybe this information will be useful for someone.
I built PG 8.4.1 by MSVC as discribed in documentation
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/install-win32-full.html)without bison and flex. But it was a little bit
tricky.I simply cleared the file pgbison.bat. It was empty and there was no attempts to call bison. So I escaped the
errormentioned some lines upper.
However it seems to me some regular way to do it should exist. But I don't see the way. I wonder if I really missed
someimportant parameter in configuration? Or my method is correct? :)
Thanks in advance, Marina.