Обсуждение: pg_dump exists without any message when running from windows task scheduler

pg_dump exists without any message when running from windows task scheduler

От
"Andrus"
Дата:
In some servers 8.4 pg_dump exits without any message if running from Task
Scheduler.

To explore this, I created scheduler task containing line

cmd

After that I can type manually commands:

C:\MyApp\pg_dump>dir /w
..
[.]              [..]             comerr32.dll
gssapi32.dll     k5sprt32.dll     krb5_32.dll      libeay32.dll
libiconv-2.dll   libintl-8.dll    libpq.dll        msvcp71.dll
pg_dump.exe      pg_dumpall.exe   pg_restore.exe   ssleay32.dll
zlib1.dll

C:\MyApp\pg_dump>pg_dump

C:\MyApp\pg_dump>pg_restore

C:\MyApp\pg_dump>pg_dumpall

As shown, all commands exit without any message. This also happens if
command line parameters are passed. So it is not possible to use Task
Scheduler
to create backups.
If same commands are executed from same user account from command prompt
directly, they run OK.

How to create automatic backups in Windows ?

backups are created in server running Windows XP Prof SP3
PostgreSql 8.4 server is installed to C: drive and required files are copied
to separate pg_dump directory

Andrus.

Re: pg_dump exists without any message when running from windows task scheduler

От
Chris
Andrus wrote:
> In some servers 8.4 pg_dump exits without any message if running from
> Task Scheduler.
>
> To explore this, I created scheduler task containing line
>
> cmd
>
> After that I can type manually commands:
>
> C:\MyApp\pg_dump>dir /w
> ..
> [.]              [..]             comerr32.dll
> gssapi32.dll     k5sprt32.dll     krb5_32.dll      libeay32.dll
> libiconv-2.dll   libintl-8.dll    libpq.dll        msvcp71.dll
> pg_dump.exe      pg_dumpall.exe   pg_restore.exe   ssleay32.dll
> zlib1.dll
>
> C:\MyApp\pg_dump>pg_dump
>
> C:\MyApp\pg_dump>pg_restore
>
> C:\MyApp\pg_dump>pg_dumpall
>
> As shown, all commands exit without any message. This also happens if
> command line parameters are passed. So it is not possible to use Task
> Scheduler
> to create backups.
> If same commands are executed from same user account from command prompt
> directly, they run OK.
>
> How to create automatic backups in Windows ?
>
> backups are created in server running Windows XP Prof SP3
> PostgreSql 8.4 server is installed to C: drive and required files are
> copied to separate pg_dump directory

I don't know if you can do that. Why do you need to?

If you reference the original files (c:\program files\... or where-ever
you installed postgres to), does it work through a scheduled task?

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

Re: pg_dump exists without any message when running from windows task scheduler

От
"Andrus"
Дата:
Chris,

Thank you.

> I don't know if you can do that. Why do you need to?

I need to run pg_dump at 2:00 AM every night automatically in Windows
computer where PostgreSql server is not installed.

> If you reference the original files (c:\program files\... or where-ever
> you installed postgres to), does it work through a scheduled task?

Yes, scheduled task it works in this case.

In some backup clients PostgreSql server is not installed. pg_dump 8.4 and
required dlls are simply copied to backup computer from server bin
directory.
How to create autobackups in this case ?

Andrus wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Thank you.
>
>> I don't know if you can do that. Why do you need to?
>
> I need to run pg_dump at 2:00 AM every night automatically in Windows
> computer where PostgreSql server is not installed.

The installer should have an option for 'client only' so you end up with
psql, pg_dump and friends but not the database.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

Re: pg_dump exists without any message when running from windows task scheduler

От
"Andrus"
Дата:
> The installer should have an option for 'client only' so you end up with
> psql, pg_dump and friends but not the database.

From http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows :

pgInstaller packages are only being maintained for PostgreSQL 8.2 and 8.3.

8.3 pg_dump returns error for 8.4 database.

So there is no such option.

Andrus.