Обсуждение: pg_hba reload

pg_hba reload

От
"Bob Pawley"
Дата:
I am attempting to load postmaster.

pg_ctl reload

I don't understand what is needed for [-D DATADIR]. I have tried the path to
Postgresql with no luck.

I've also leftoff [-s] since it doesn't appear to be needed.

Help would be appreciated.

Bob.

Re: pg_hba reload

От
Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
Дата:
export PGDATA=/path/to/data

Re: pg_hba reload

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Bob Pawley <rjpawley@shaw.ca> wrote:
> I am attempting to load postmaster.
>
> pg_ctl reload
>
> I don't understand what is needed for [-D DATADIR]. I have tried the path to
> Postgresql with no luck.
>
> I've also leftoff [-s] since it doesn't appear to be needed.

-D points to the data directory, which looks like this:

base    pg_clog       pg_subtrans  pg_twophase    pg_xlog         postmaster.pid  server.crt
global    pg_multixact  pg_tblspc    PG_VERSION    postmaster.opts
root.crt     server.key

Is your db normally started from a startup script (like on ubuntu or
redhat)? if so, then call it with the reload command.  On ubuntu it
looks like this:

sudo /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 reload

And that will handle the whole -D thing for you.

Re: pg_hba reload

От
Serge Fonville
Дата:
Hi,

The swithc -d is for the directory that is populated when running initdb, it contains logging, configuration and databases

Hope this helps

Regards,

Serge Fonville

I don't understand what is needed for [-D DATADIR]. I have tried the path to Postgresql with no luck.

I've also leftoff [-s] since it doesn't appear to be needed.

Help would be appreciated.

Bob.

Re: pg_hba reload

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
Bob Pawley wrote:
> I am attempting to load postmaster.
>
> pg_ctl reload
>
> I don't understand what is needed for [-D DATADIR]. I have tried the
> path to Postgresql with no luck.
>
> I've also leftoff [-s] since it doesn't appear to be needed.
>
> Help would be appreciated.

unclear from your description what help you specifically need.   there's
no actual questions there..

what happened when you "attempt" this?

the DATADIR is the full path to the postgres data directory, such as
/var/lib/pgsql/data on my RHEL/CentOS linux systems or "/program
files/postgresql/8.3/data" on a windows system.   the -s flag is
'silent' and yes, quite unneccessary here.    the only output from a
'reload' command is 'server signaled', to find out if it was successful,
you'd need to check the server logfile, such as
DATADIR/pg_log/postgresql-2009-02-14_000000.log, where you'd see
something like...

    LOG:  received SIGHUP, reloading configuration files

as a response to the reload request.

Re: pg_hba reload

От
"Bob Pawley"
Дата:
I'm running 8.3 on Windows XP.

I input > pg_ctl reload -D c:\program files\postgresql\8.3\data    - or any
combination thereof, with or without brackets and the server is running.

The return is - 'pg_ctl: too many command-line arguments'.

Bob
>> I don't understand what is needed for [-D DATADIR]. I have tried the path
>> to Postgresql with no luck.
>>
>> I've also leftoff [-s] since it doesn't appear to be needed.
>>
>> Help would be appreciated.
>
> unclear from your description what help you specifically need.   there's
> no actual questions there..
>
> what happened when you "attempt" this?
>
> the DATADIR is the full path to the postgres data directory, such as
> /var/lib/pgsql/data on my RHEL/CentOS linux systems or "/program
> files/postgresql/8.3/data" on a windows system.   the -s flag is 'silent'
> and yes, quite unneccessary here.    the only output from a 'reload'
> command is 'server signaled', to find out if it was successful, you'd need
> to check the server logfile, such as
> DATADIR/pg_log/postgresql-2009-02-14_000000.log, where you'd see something
> like...
>
>    LOG:  received SIGHUP, reloading configuration files
>
> as a response to the reload request.

Re: pg_hba reload

От
Rodrigo Gonzalez
Дата:
Use quotes, there is a space between program and files

On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 15:31 -0800, Bob Pawley wrote:
> I'm running 8.3 on Windows XP.
>
> I input > pg_ctl reload -D c:\program files\postgresql\8.3\data    - or any
> combination thereof, with or without brackets and the server is running.
>
> The return is - 'pg_ctl: too many command-line arguments'.
>
> Bob

Re: pg_hba reload

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
Bob Pawley wrote:
> I'm running 8.3 on Windows XP.
>
> I input > pg_ctl reload -D c:\program files\postgresql\8.3\data    -
> or any combination thereof, with or without brackets and the server is
> running.
>
> The return is - 'pg_ctl: too many command-line arguments'.

you need to put " " around any pathname that has a space in it.

like,   pg_ctl reload -D "c:\program files\postgresql\8.3\data"

Re: pg_hba reload

От
Lennin Caro
> combination thereof, with or without brackets and the server
> is running.
>
> The return is - 'pg_ctl: too many command-line
> arguments'.

Maybe the problem is te blank space in Program Files

test with pg_ctl reload -D "c:\program files\postgresql\8.3\data"