Обсуждение: Memory on 32bit machine

Memory on 32bit machine

От
mljv@planwerk6.de
Дата:
Hi,

i have the option to upgrade to a new dedicated database server with 8 GB Ram
i want to run on debian linux 32bit because i had some trouble the last time i
used 64bit with iptables which did not work (i guess it was a year ago...)

8GB are addressable as far as i know with a bigmem kernel.

Does it make sense to run a dedicated postgresql server with 32bit linux and
8GB RAM?

Or would you rather vote for 64bit because there are no problems anymore and
postgresql runs fine on 64bit debian.

So assuming i could choose between 4 GB RAM and 8 GB RAM and 32bit debian and
64bit debian. Which option would you choose?

If you recommend 64bit (and obvisiouly 8GB), are there any pitfalls or hints?

kind regards,
janning

Re: Memory on 32bit machine

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 10:32:26AM +0100, mljv@planwerk6.de wrote:
> So assuming i could choose between 4 GB RAM and 8 GB RAM and 32bit debian and
> 64bit debian. Which option would you choose?

Always go for more RAM, whether you use 64 or 32-bit is really
orthoginal to that, whatever memory you have left you will be
profitably used as diskcache. Postgres does not need to be able to
access the memory directly to be able to use it...

Have a nice day,
> Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
>  -- John F Kennedy

Вложения

Re: Memory on 32bit machine

От
mljv@planwerk6.de
Дата:
Am Montag, 7. Januar 2008 11:48 schrieb Martijn van Oosterhout:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 10:32:26AM +0100, mljv@planwerk6.de wrote:
> > So assuming i could choose between 4 GB RAM and 8 GB RAM and 32bit debian
> > and 64bit debian. Which option would you choose?
>
> Always go for more RAM, whether you use 64 or 32-bit is really
> orthoginal to that, whatever memory you have left you will be
> profitably used as diskcache. Postgres does not need to be able to
> access the memory directly to be able to use it...

thanks a lot for this immediate reply and crystal clear answer. I will go for
more RAM now.

kind regards,
janning

Re: Memory on 32bit machine

От
Florian Weimer
Дата:
> Or would you rather vote for 64bit because there are no problems
> anymore and postgresql runs fine on 64bit debian.

We haven't run into any trouble with iptables on Debian etch, running
on amd64 hardware.  But we use only fairly standard iptables
functionality.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99

Re: Memory on 32bit machine

От
mljv@planwerk6.de
Дата:
Am Montag, 7. Januar 2008 12:56 schrieb Florian Weimer:
> > Or would you rather vote for 64bit because there are no problems
> > anymore and postgresql runs fine on 64bit debian.
>
> We haven't run into any trouble with iptables on Debian etch, running
> on amd64 hardware.  But we use only fairly standard iptables
> functionality.

ok, thanks for this information. It was sarge when i used iptables with 64bit
kernel and it even failed to start up.so i'll might give 64bit another try.

Are there any other recommendations whether to use 64bit or 32bit OS with
postgresql? I just want to use 64bit if it as stable as 32bit.

kind regards,
janning

Re: Memory on 32bit machine

От
Geoffrey
Дата:
mljv@planwerk6.de wrote:
> Am Montag, 7. Januar 2008 12:56 schrieb Florian Weimer:
>>> Or would you rather vote for 64bit because there are no problems
>>> anymore and postgresql runs fine on 64bit debian.
>> We haven't run into any trouble with iptables on Debian etch, running
>> on amd64 hardware.  But we use only fairly standard iptables
>> functionality.
>
> ok, thanks for this information. It was sarge when i used iptables with 64bit
> kernel and it even failed to start up.so i'll might give 64bit another try.
>
> Are there any other recommendations whether to use 64bit or 32bit OS with
> postgresql? I just want to use 64bit if it as stable as 32bit.

I'm curious as to why you would run iptables on a database server.  My
expectation would be that your database machine would be behind a
dedicated firewall.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Memory on 32bit machine

От
Chris
Geoffrey wrote:
> mljv@planwerk6.de wrote:
>>> We haven't run into any trouble with iptables on Debian etch, running
>>> on amd64 hardware.  But we use only fairly standard iptables
>>> functionality.
>>
>> ok, thanks for this information. It was sarge when i used iptables
>> with 64bit kernel and it even failed to start up.so i'll might give
>> 64bit another try.
>>
>> Are there any other recommendations whether to use 64bit or 32bit OS
>> with postgresql? I just want to use 64bit if it as stable as 32bit.
>
> I'm curious as to why you would run iptables on a database server.  My
> expectation would be that your database machine would be behind a
> dedicated firewall.

Why not? Security in layers and all that. :)

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

Re: Memory on 32bit machine

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Chris wrote:

>>> Are there any other recommendations whether to use 64bit or 32bit OS
>>> with postgresql? I just want to use 64bit if it as stable as 32bit.
>>
>> I'm curious as to why you would run iptables on a database server.  My
>> expectation would be that your database machine would be behind a
>> dedicated firewall.
>
> Why not? Security in layers and all that. :)

Certainly and iptables gives you some flexibility in connection
availability "before" it hits the actual database but without having to
jimmy the production firewall.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Memory on 32bit machine

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Certainly and iptables gives you some flexibility in connection availability
> "before" it hits the actual database but without having to jimmy the
> production firewall.

It's worth emphasizing that in many environments, it's far more likely one
will have root access to configure the local firewall on a database server
than access to the main company firewall.  It's not unusual for DBAs to
have root on their servers, but nobody wants a DBA making Cisco IOS
changes.  If you've got a recipe cookbook of common firewall requirements
it's reasonable for a DBA to handle some of that maintenance without
having to go to another department or otherwise call something else in.

There are a bunch of other reasons why you might use a local firewall like
iptables on top of both a firewall and the PostgreSQL security:

1) Securing against other sections of the internal LAN, which may not be
completely trusted for your database application even though they're on
your company's network.  Anybody who gets a system plugged in behind the
firewall is a potential attacker, and you can't expect the firewall to do
all the securing for you.

2) Providing some homogenous connection security to what's done on other
systems instead of or addition to the restrictions you can put into
pg_hba.conf.  If you've got a security auditer who knows iptables because
it's used on all the Linux machines, but not PostgreSQL, they're much more
likely to give you a thumbs-up if it's obvious the system is secured on
the network level before they even consider the database security.

3) The OS kernel will be more efficient in blocking unwanted packets than
the database server can be, making it less like you'll be victim to a
denial of service against the database from a host that shouldn't be
allowed to connect anyway.

4) Funky tricks with things like port forwarding and filtering that you
can't do with PostgreSQL alone, and that need to be active for people in
the internal LAN.  I recall this one time where I needed the database port
to be different based on which of the local subnets the connection was
coming through (it was a version migration thing).  Those were some fun
ipchains rules (yeah, that long ago) and I'd have been hard pressed to do
that on the firewall instead without a major contortion to the network.

Re: Memory on 32bit machine

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Greg Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Certainly and iptables gives you some flexibility in connection
>> availability "before" it hits the actual database but without having
>> to jimmy the production firewall.

> 4) Funky tricks with things like port forwarding and filtering that you
> can't do with PostgreSQL alone, and that need to be active for people in
> the internal LAN.  I recall this one time where I needed the database
> port to be different based on which of the local subnets the connection
> was coming through (it was a version migration thing).  Those were some
> fun ipchains rules (yeah, that long ago) and I'd have been hard pressed
> to do that on the firewall instead without a major contortion to the
> network.

Some people won't like this but... packet shaping and bandwidth control
as well.

Joshua D. Drake

> --
> * Greg Smith gsmith@gregsmith.com http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

firewall and resource management was: Memory on 32bit machine

От
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Дата:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:56:49 -0800
"Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Some people won't like this but... packet shaping and bandwidth
> control as well.

Isn't there a native way to allocate postgresql resources accordingly
to the user?
Won't traffic shaping place "on hold" things that are already
finished in stand by slowing the whole system?
I know you can limit requests and let responses run free, but what if
they are asking back 1M record with a simple query?

thx

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it