Re: Memory on 32bit machine

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Memory on 32bit machine
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Certainly and iptables gives you some flexibility in connection availability
> "before" it hits the actual database but without having to jimmy the
> production firewall.

It's worth emphasizing that in many environments, it's far more likely one
will have root access to configure the local firewall on a database server
than access to the main company firewall.  It's not unusual for DBAs to
have root on their servers, but nobody wants a DBA making Cisco IOS
changes.  If you've got a recipe cookbook of common firewall requirements
it's reasonable for a DBA to handle some of that maintenance without
having to go to another department or otherwise call something else in.

There are a bunch of other reasons why you might use a local firewall like
iptables on top of both a firewall and the PostgreSQL security:

1) Securing against other sections of the internal LAN, which may not be
completely trusted for your database application even though they're on
your company's network.  Anybody who gets a system plugged in behind the
firewall is a potential attacker, and you can't expect the firewall to do
all the securing for you.

2) Providing some homogenous connection security to what's done on other
systems instead of or addition to the restrictions you can put into
pg_hba.conf.  If you've got a security auditer who knows iptables because
it's used on all the Linux machines, but not PostgreSQL, they're much more
likely to give you a thumbs-up if it's obvious the system is secured on
the network level before they even consider the database security.

3) The OS kernel will be more efficient in blocking unwanted packets than
the database server can be, making it less like you'll be victim to a
denial of service against the database from a host that shouldn't be
allowed to connect anyway.

4) Funky tricks with things like port forwarding and filtering that you
can't do with PostgreSQL alone, and that need to be active for people in
the internal LAN.  I recall this one time where I needed the database port
to be different based on which of the local subnets the connection was
coming through (it was a version migration thing).  Those were some fun
ipchains rules (yeah, that long ago) and I'd have been hard pressed to do
that on the firewall instead without a major contortion to the network.