Обсуждение: C-Extenions for PostgreSQL, Call Convention Version 0

C-Extenions for PostgreSQL, Call Convention Version 0

От
"Harald Armin Massa"
Дата:
Hello,

I am researching information about writing C-language-Functions for
PostgreSQL.  I came accross the slides of an OSCON 2004 tutorial of
Joe Conway
http://www.joeconway.com/tut_oscon_2004.pdf

where he states:
Version 0 Calling Convention
• Deprecated
• Has been since the 7.1 release.
• Don't use it.

Within the PostgreSQL-Documentation for 8.2,
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/xfunc-c.html, still I
find:

"""Using call conventions version 0, we can define c_overpaid as:"""

That sound very tutorial-like; and so $I wonder: is those version 0
depreciated? Or ist there still value in learning it?

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Re: C-Extenions for PostgreSQL, Call Convention Version 0

От
"Pavel Stehule"
Дата:
Hello

version 0 Calling Convention is really deprecated. From 8.2 manual:

We present the "old style" calling convention first — although this
approach is now deprecated, it's easier to get a handle on initially.

Regards
Pavel Stehule

On 03/01/2008, Harald Armin Massa <haraldarminmassa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am researching information about writing C-language-Functions for
> PostgreSQL.  I came accross the slides of an OSCON 2004 tutorial of
> Joe Conway
> http://www.joeconway.com/tut_oscon_2004.pdf
>
> where he states:
> Version 0 Calling Convention
> • Deprecated
> • Has been since the 7.1 release.
> • Don't use it.
>
> Within the PostgreSQL-Documentation for 8.2,
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/xfunc-c.html, still I
> find:
>
> """Using call conventions version 0, we can define c_overpaid as:"""
>
> That sound very tutorial-like; and so $I wonder: is those version 0
> depreciated? Or ist there still value in learning it?
>

> Harald
>
> --
> GHUM Harald Massa
> persuadere et programmare
> Harald Armin Massa
> Spielberger Straße 49
> 70435 Stuttgart
> 0173/9409607
> fx 01212-5-13695179
> -
> EuroPython 2008 will take place in Vilnius, Lithuania - Stay tuned!

Re: C-Extenions for PostgreSQL, Call Convention Version 0

Дата:
"Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa@gmail.com> writes:
> Within the PostgreSQL-Documentation for 8.2,
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/xfunc-c.html, still I
> find:

> """Using call conventions version 0, we can define c_overpaid as:"""

> That sound very tutorial-like; and so $I wonder: is those version 0
> depreciated? Or ist there still value in learning it?

That's just for teaching purposes.  As it says further up the page:

: We present the "old style" calling convention first � although this
: approach is now deprecated, it's easier to get a handle on initially.

The examples are given in both styles so that you can get the point of
what's happening before you deal with the notational overhead of version
1.  For any sort of production programming I'd definitely recommend
using version 1, though.

            regards, tom lane