Обсуждение: Can't change working directory to C:/Documents and Settings in Windows

Can't change working directory to C:/Documents and Settings in Windows

От
Casey Crosbie
Дата:
Hello,

I am running the windows version of PostgreSQL 8.1 on my XP laptop. I
was trying the \cd command to change working directories [to import
query files to run] to the Documents and Settings directory (eventually
to the desktop) and I am getting an error where psql doesn't recognize
the gap between Documents and Settings.

The error states,

\cd : could not change directory to "C:/Documents": No such file or
directory.

Does anyone have any solutions on how to get around this issue with the
Documents and Settings directory?

Thank you in advance!

Casey Crosbie

Re: Can't change working directory to C:/Documents and Settings in Windows

От
"Andrej Ricnik-Bay"
Дата:
On 7/2/07, Casey Crosbie <casey.crosbie@noaa.gov> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running the windows version of PostgreSQL 8.1 on my XP laptop. I
> was trying the \cd command to change working directories [to import
> query files to run] to the Documents and Settings directory (eventually
> to the desktop) and I am getting an error where psql doesn't recognize
> the gap between Documents and Settings.
>
> The error states,
>
> \cd : could not change directory to "C:/Documents": No such file or
> directory.
>
> Does anyone have any solutions on how to get around this issue with the
> Documents and Settings directory?
Try enclosing Documents and Settings in quotes ...
"Documents and Settings"

> Thank you in advance!

> Casey Crosbie
Cheers,
Andrej

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :}  Make your quotes concise.

Re: Can't change working directory to C:/Documents and Settings in Windows

От
Casey Crosbie
Дата:
Andrej,

Thanks for the suggestion. As you said, I tried enclosing "Documents and
Setting" and even "C:/Documents and Settings" and neither worked. Please
let me know if you have any other ideas.

Thanks,

Casey

Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:
> On 7/2/07, Casey Crosbie <casey.crosbie@noaa.gov> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am running the windows version of PostgreSQL 8.1 on my XP laptop. I
>> was trying the \cd command to change working directories [to import
>> query files to run] to the Documents and Settings directory (eventually
>> to the desktop) and I am getting an error where psql doesn't recognize
>> the gap between Documents and Settings.
>>
>> The error states,
>>
>> \cd : could not change directory to "C:/Documents": No such file or
>> directory.
>>
>> Does anyone have any solutions on how to get around this issue with the
>> Documents and Settings directory?
> Try enclosing Documents and Settings in quotes ...
> "Documents and Settings"
>
>> Thank you in advance!
>
>> Casey Crosbie
> Cheers,
> Andrej

Re: Can't change working directory to C:/Documents and Settings in Windows

От
Jorge Godoy
Дата:
On Sunday 01 July 2007 21:51:08 Casey Crosbie wrote:
> Andrej,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. As you said, I tried enclosing "Documents and
> Setting" and even "C:/Documents and Settings" and neither worked. Please
> let me know if you have any other ideas.

This looks like that ooooooooold Windows bug.  Try using "Document~1" as the
directory name.

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>

Re: Can't change working directory to C:/Documents and Settings in Windows

От
Casey Crosbie
Дата:
Jorge,

Thanks for the suggestion. But unfortunately, I tried both
  \cd "C:/Document~1" and just \cd C:/"Document~1" and neither worked.

Casey

Jorge Godoy wrote:
> On Sunday 01 July 2007 21:51:08 Casey Crosbie wrote:
>> Andrej,
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion. As you said, I tried enclosing "Documents and
>> Setting" and even "C:/Documents and Settings" and neither worked. Please
>> let me know if you have any other ideas.
>
> This looks like that ooooooooold Windows bug.  Try using "Document~1" as the
> directory name.

Re: Can't change working directory to C:/Documents and Settings in Windows

От
Jorge Godoy
Дата:
On Sunday 01 July 2007 22:25:24 Casey Crosbie wrote:
> Jorge,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. But unfortunately, I tried both
>   \cd "C:/Document~1" and just \cd C:/"Document~1" and neither worked.

Sorry.  It should be up to 8 chars: "Docume~1" or some variation like that
(I've seen ~2  due to some unknown reason).  This looks like a Windows
problem on finding directories with spaces in its name.  The same happens
with diacriticals...

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>

Re: Can't change working directory to C:/Documents and Settings in Windows

От
Casey Crosbie
Дата:
Jorge,

The \cd C:/Docume~1 worked! Thank you very much for your help!

Casey

Jorge Godoy wrote:
> On Sunday 01 July 2007 22:25:24 Casey Crosbie wrote:
>> Jorge,
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion. But unfortunately, I tried both
>>   \cd "C:/Document~1" and just \cd C:/"Document~1" and neither worked.
>
> Sorry.  It should be up to 8 chars: "Docume~1" or some variation like that
> (I've seen ~2  due to some unknown reason).  This looks like a Windows
> problem on finding directories with spaces in its name.  The same happens
> with diacriticals...

Re: Can't change working directory to C:/Documents and Settings in Windows

Дата:
Jorge Godoy <jgodoy@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sunday 01 July 2007 22:25:24 Casey Crosbie wrote:
>> Jorge,
>> Thanks for the suggestion. But unfortunately, I tried both
>> \cd "C:/Document~1" and just \cd C:/"Document~1" and neither worked.

> Sorry.  It should be up to 8 chars: "Docume~1" or some variation like that
> (I've seen ~2  due to some unknown reason).  This looks like a Windows
> problem on finding directories with spaces in its name.  The same happens
> with diacriticals...

FWIW, on a Unix machine I get

$ mkdir "foo bar"
$ psql regression

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

regression=# \cd foo bar
\cd: could not change directory to "foo": No such file or directory
regression=# \cd "foo bar"
\cd: could not change directory to ""foo bar"": No such file or directory
regression=# \cd 'foo bar'
regression=# \!pwd
/home/tgl/pgsql/foo bar
regression=#

So maybe single quotes would work better.

I'm not sure if the behavior with double quotes should be considered a
bug or not.  Too lazy to check the manual, but I believe psql thinks
single and double quotes are different.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Can't change working directory to C:/Documents and Settings in Windows

От
Casey Crosbie
Дата:
Tom,

Thanks for that bit of insight on using the directories in Unix. I
originally tried no quotes or double quotes for my directory change and
no quotes worked for me. But after your mentioning the single quotes I
tested it out and those seem to work in Windows psql directory changes
as well.

Casey

Tom Lane wrote:
> Jorge Godoy <jgodoy@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Sunday 01 July 2007 22:25:24 Casey Crosbie wrote:
>>> Jorge,
>>> Thanks for the suggestion. But unfortunately, I tried both
>>> \cd "C:/Document~1" and just \cd C:/"Document~1" and neither worked.
>
>> Sorry.  It should be up to 8 chars: "Docume~1" or some variation like that
>> (I've seen ~2  due to some unknown reason).  This looks like a Windows
>> problem on finding directories with spaces in its name.  The same happens
>> with diacriticals...
>
> FWIW, on a Unix machine I get
>
> $ mkdir "foo bar"
> $ psql regression
> Welcome to psql 8.2.4, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
>
> Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
>        \h for help with SQL commands
>        \? for help with psql commands
>        \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>        \q to quit
>
> regression=# \cd foo bar
> \cd: could not change directory to "foo": No such file or directory
> regression=# \cd "foo bar"
> \cd: could not change directory to ""foo bar"": No such file or directory
> regression=# \cd 'foo bar'
> regression=# \!pwd
> /home/tgl/pgsql/foo bar
> regression=#
>
> So maybe single quotes would work better.
>
> I'm not sure if the behavior with double quotes should be considered a
> bug or not.  Too lazy to check the manual, but I believe psql thinks
> single and double quotes are different.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: Can't change working directory to C:/Documents and Settings in Windows

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 10:46:22PM -0300, Jorge Godoy wrote:
> On Sunday 01 July 2007 22:25:24 Casey Crosbie wrote:
> > Jorge,
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion. But unfortunately, I tried both
> >   \cd "C:/Document~1" and just \cd C:/"Document~1" and neither worked.
>
> Sorry.  It should be up to 8 chars: "Docume~1" or some variation like that
> (I've seen ~2  due to some unknown reason).  This looks like a Windows
> problem on finding directories with spaces in its name.  The same happens
> with diacriticals...

To help others in the future, the way to find out what the directory short
name actually is, use "dir /x c:\".

Not that it was the problem this time, but I'm sure someone will need it at
some point.

//Magnus