Обсуждение: increasing of the shared memory does not solve the problem of "OUT of shared memory"

increasing of the shared memory does not solve the problem of "OUT of shared memory"

От
"Sorin N. Ciolofan"

Hello!

I increased significantly the number of shared buffers from 3000 to 100 000 (80Mb)

Also I increased the max_locks_per_transaction from  64  to 10 000.

I still receive the same error form Postgres: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: out of shared memory

Is this message appropriate to the real cause of the problem or the reason of the failure is actually other than what is displayed in this message?

With best regards,

Sorin N. Ciolofan

"Sorin N. Ciolofan" <ciolofan@ics.forth.gr> writes:
> Also I increased the max_locks_per_transaction from  64  to 10 000.

> I still receive the same error form Postgres:
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: out of shared memory

Did you remember to restart the postmaster after doing that?  (pg_ctl
reload isn't good enough, you need an actual restart to enlarge shared
memory.)  You can confirm whether it's really taken effect with
"show max_locks_per_transaction".

            regards, tom lane

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 04:58:28PM +0300, Sorin N. Ciolofan wrote:
> I increased significantly the number of shared buffers from 3000 to 100 000
> (80Mb)

BTW, 100,000 shared buffers is actually 800MB, not 80.